spdk.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [SPDK] Inquiry about spdk_nvme_ns_cmd_dataset_management interface
@ 2023-09-12 12:19 Weifeng Su
From: Weifeng Su @ 2023-09-12 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk, tomasz.zawadzki, james.r.harris; +Cc: louhongxiang

Dear SPDK community members,

I am a developer who has been using SPDK and I have been greatly
interested in its functionality and performance. Recently, while
studying the `spdk_nvme_ns_cmd_dataset_management` interface, I came
across a question I would like to discuss with you and seek your insights.

 From my understanding, the `spdk_nvme_ns_cmd_dataset_management`
interface is used for dataset management commands. I noticed that when
executing this interface, it requires a repeated memory copy of the data
to a buffer before performing the operation. However, deallocation
(dealloc) is a frequent operation. I am curious to know why a zero-copy
approach was not chosen in the implementation and whether it is possible
to optimize it by utilizing large page memory.

I believe that a zero-copy mechanism could potentially reduce the
overhead of memory copies, especially for operations that involve
frequent deallocation. By constraining the usage of large page memory,
it could further enhance the efficiency of the interface.

I would appreciate it if you could provide some insights into the design
considerations behind the current memory copy-based approach and any
potential plans for optimizing this particular interface. Additionally,
if there are any best practices or guidelines for utilizing large page
memory with SPDK, please kindly share them.

Thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from
you and learning more about the thoughts and future improvements
regarding spdk_nvme_ns_cmd_dataset_management.

Sincerely,
Weifeng Su

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-09-12 12:19 UTC | newest]