stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* backport of lpfc patches: NVME_FC disabled and Reducing Log msgs
@ 2022-02-13 17:26 James Smart
From: James Smart @ 2022-02-13 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

I'd like to request the 2 patches below to be backported to the 5.6 and
5.12 kernels. Other stable kernels are fine. The fixes were recently
merged into linus's tree:

scsi: lpfc: Remove NVMe support if kernel has NVME_FC disabled
This can cause device connectivity failure.
commit c80b27cfd93b

scsi: lpfc: Reduce log messages seen after firmware download
This was causing overruns and headaches on consoles that were very slow.
commit 5852ed2a6a39

They are relatively minor but have been significant enough in testing to
be desired.

Please let me know if they can be backported and if I can help in any way.

-- james

* Re: backport of lpfc patches: NVME_FC disabled and Reducing Log msgs
@ 2022-02-14  7:11 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2022-02-14  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Smart; +Cc: stable

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 09:26:16AM -0800, James Smart wrote:
> I'd like to request the 2 patches below to be backported to the 5.6 and 5.12

5.6 and 5.12 are long end-of-life, see the front page of kernel.org for
the active kernel trees please.

> kernels. Other stable kernels are fine. The fixes were recently merged into
> linus's tree:
>
> scsi: lpfc: Remove NVMe support if kernel has NVME_FC disabled
> This can cause device connectivity failure.
> commit c80b27cfd93b

This one applied to 5.4, 5.10, 5.15, and 5.16 ok.

> scsi: lpfc: Reduce log messages seen after firmware download
> This was causing overruns and headaches on consoles that were very slow.
> commit 5852ed2a6a39

This only could be applied to 5.10 and newer stable kernels.  If you
want any of these applied to older kernel trees, please provide working
backports.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: backport of lpfc patches: NVME_FC disabled and Reducing Log msgs
@ 2022-02-14 18:34   ` James Smart
From: James Smart @ 2022-02-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: stable

On 2/13/2022 11:11 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 09:26:16AM -0800, James Smart wrote:
>> I'd like to request the 2 patches below to be backported to the 5.6 and 5.12
>
> 5.6 and 5.12 are long end-of-life, see the front page of kernel.org for
> the active kernel trees please.
>
>> kernels. Other stable kernels are fine. The fixes were recently merged into
>> linus's tree:
>>
>> scsi: lpfc: Remove NVMe support if kernel has NVME_FC disabled
>> This can cause device connectivity failure.
>> commit c80b27cfd93b
>
> This one applied to 5.4, 5.10, 5.15, and 5.16 ok.
>
>> scsi: lpfc: Reduce log messages seen after firmware download
>> This was causing overruns and headaches on consoles that were very slow.
>> commit 5852ed2a6a39
>
> This only could be applied to 5.10 and newer stable kernels.  If you
> want any of these applied to older kernel trees, please provide working
> backports.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

I'm good with 5.10 and newer stable kernels, and 5.4 with the 1st patch.

Thank you.

-- james