stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* RE: Patch "PCI: hv: Fix multi-MSI to allow more than one MSI vector" has been added to the 5.18-stable tree
       [not found] <20220606110755.135215-1-sashal@kernel.org>
@ 2022-06-06 17:02 ` Dexuan Cui
From: Dexuan Cui @ 2022-06-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin, stable-commits, quic_jhugo, stable
  Cc: KY Srinivasan, Haiyang Zhang, Stephen Hemminger, Wei Liu,
	Lorenzo Pieralisi, Rob Herring, Krzysztof Wilczyński,
	Bjorn Helgaas

(+ stable@vger.kernel.org)

Hi Sasha and stable kernel maintainers,
If we want to support multi-MSI in the pci-hyperv driver, we need all of the
4 patches:

08e61e861a0e ("PCI: hv: Fix multi-MSI to allow more than one MSI vector")
455880dfe292 ("PCI: hv: Fix hv_arch_irq_unmask() for multi-MSI")
b4b77778ecc5 ("PCI: hv: Reuse existing IRTE allocation in compose_msi_msg()")
a2bad844a67b ("PCI: hv: Fix interrupt mapping for multi-MSI")

Multi-MSI can't work properly if we only pick up the first patch.

We need to either pick up all the 4 patches to 5.18/5.17/etc. or pick up nothing.
I suggest we pick up all the 4 patches.
The patch author Jeffrey may want to chime in.

Thanks,
-- Dexuan

* Re: Patch "PCI: hv: Fix multi-MSI to allow more than one MSI vector" has been added to the 5.18-stable tree
@ 2022-06-07 11:05   ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2022-06-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dexuan Cui
  Cc: stable-commits, quic_jhugo, stable, KY Srinivasan, Haiyang Zhang,
	Stephen Hemminger, Wei Liu, Lorenzo Pieralisi, Rob Herring,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 05:02:41PM +0000, Dexuan Cui wrote:
> [...]

Hey Dexuan,

I wasn't trying to enable multi-MSI, I was just picking something that
looked like a fix. I'll go ahead and drop it, thanks!

Sasha

* Re: Patch "PCI: hv: Fix multi-MSI to allow more than one MSI vector" has been added to the 5.18-stable tree
@ 2022-06-07 17:58     ` Jeffrey Hugo
From: Jeffrey Hugo @ 2022-06-07 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin, Dexuan Cui
  Cc: stable-commits, stable, KY Srinivasan, Haiyang Zhang,

On 6/7/2022 5:05 AM, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 05:02:41PM +0000, Dexuan Cui wrote:

IMO it is a fix to an existing feature - not adding a new one.  The
driver enables Multi-MSI, advertises the support, but it doesn't work.
The changes fix the driver so it actually works.

It would be my preference for these to be backported.  Ideally the
distros would then pick them up, and it would make support easier.