stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Patches for building kernel 5.4 with LLVM's integrated assembler
       [not found] <CA+SOCLJMyUZ8c0e5xkvm+r0pMxBoUxmQRaoasKOS2T28Z10Ziw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-11-05 21:52 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-11-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jian Cai
  Cc: # 3.4.x, Sasha Levin, Nick Desaulniers, Fangrui Song,
	Josh Poimboeuf, Peter Zijlstra, Dmitry Golovin, Borislav Petkov,
	clang-built-linux, Nathan Chancellor, mbenes, Manoj Gupta,
	Luis Lozano

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 02:51:32PM -0800, Jian Cai wrote:
> Dear Stable kernel maintainers,
>
> Please consider cherry picking the following commits (ordered by commit
> time) ino linux-5.4.y.
>
> ffedeeb780dc linkage: Introduce new macros for assembler symbols
>
> 35e61c77ef38 arm64: asm: Add new-style position independent function
> annotations
>
> 3ac0f4526dfb arm64: lib: Use modern annotations for assembly functions
>
> ec9d78070de9 arm64: Change .weak to SYM_FUNC_START_WEAK_PI for
> arch/arm64/lib/mem*.S
>
> The first three are required to apply the last patch. This would unblock
> Chrome OS to build with LLVM's integrated assembler (Please see
> http://crbug.com/1143847 for details).

I've done this, but does this also provide this functionality for x86?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Patches for building kernel 5.4 with LLVM's integrated assembler
@ 2020-11-05 22:07   ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-11-05 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Jian Cai, # 3.4.x, Sasha Levin, Fangrui Song, Josh Poimboeuf,

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 02:51:32PM -0800, Jian Cai wrote:
> > Dear Stable kernel maintainers,
> >
> > Please consider cherry picking the following commits (ordered by commit
> > time) ino linux-5.4.y.
> >
> > ffedeeb780dc linkage: Introduce new macros for assembler symbols
> >
> > 35e61c77ef38 arm64: asm: Add new-style position independent function
> > annotations
> >
> > 3ac0f4526dfb arm64: lib: Use modern annotations for assembly functions
> >
> > ec9d78070de9 arm64: Change .weak to SYM_FUNC_START_WEAK_PI for
> > arch/arm64/lib/mem*.S
> >
> > The first three are required to apply the last patch. This would unblock
> > Chrome OS to build with LLVM's integrated assembler (Please see
> > http://crbug.com/1143847 for details).
>
> I've done this, but does this also provide this functionality for x86?

We're in the process of fixing this for x86 and 32b ARM.  The aarch64
patch made it to mainline the fastest.  Patches have been
posted+reviewed for the other two, just not merged up yet.
~Nick Desaulniers