stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Please help cherry pick four mmc related changes into the 4.14 stable kernel
@ 2022-06-07 17:09 Yongqin Liu
From: Yongqin Liu @ 2022-06-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable
  Cc: Naresh Kamboju, Benjamin Copeland, Sumit Semwal,
	Daniel Díaz, Alistair Delva, Steve Muckle, Todd Kjos,
	Bajjuri, Praneeth, Vincent Guittot, Anders Roxell, linux-mmc,
	linux-block, Ulf Hansson

Hi, All

With the 4.14.281 version[1], there were three mmc related changes merged,
but that causes one boot failure with the X15 Android builds, a problem
similar to one reported before here[2].
After being confirmed with Ulf Hansson, and verified with the X15 Android build,
it needs to have the following four commits cherry-picked to the 4.14
branch as well.

    4f32b45c9a2c mmc: core: Allow host controllers to require R1B for CMD6
    5fc615c1e3eb mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for erase/trim/discard
    d091259b8d7a mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for eMMC sleep command
    23161bed631a mmc: sdhci-omap: Fix busy detection by enabling
MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY

The above four commits are from the 4.19 branch, as they are a little
easier to be cherry-picked
into the 4.14 branch, compared to the commits from the mainline branch.
(I have confirmed that the four commits are all in 4.19, 5.4, 5.10 and
mainline branches already).

Saying that, there will be still one merge conflict reported when
cherry picking the commit of
4f32b45c9a2c, it's easy to resolve though.
To avoid the merge conflict, it could be done like this as well:
1. revert the 327b6689898b commit from 4.14 first, so that the commits in step#2
    could be cherry-picked without any problem
        327b6689898b mmc: core: Default to generic_cmd6_time as
timeout in __mmc_switch()
2. git cherry-pick the following commits from 4.19 into the 4.14 branch
        4f32b45c9a2c mmc: core: Allow host controllers to require R1B for CMD6
        5fc615c1e3eb mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for
erase/trim/discard
        d091259b8d7a mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for eMMC
sleep command
        23161bed631a mmc: sdhci-omap: Fix busy detection by enabling
MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY
        26c6f614cf02 mmc: mmc: core: Default to generic_cmd6_time as
timeout in __mmc_switch()
    The last commit of 26c6f614cf02 is for the revert in step#1.

I am not sure which way is more convenient for the maintenance work
here, so just list both of them here
for your information.
And please let me know if there is anything else I could help on this
cherry pick work here.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/16534624745741@kroah.com/T/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CA+G9fYuqAQfhzF2BzHr7vMHx68bo8-jT+ob_F3eHQ3=oFjgYdg@mail.gmail.com/
--
Best Regards,
Yongqin Liu

* Re: Please help cherry pick four mmc related changes into the 4.14 stable kernel
@ 2022-06-13 18:11 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2022-06-13 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yongqin Liu
  Cc: stable, Naresh Kamboju, Benjamin Copeland, Sumit Semwal,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2022 at 01:09:54AM +0800, Yongqin Liu wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> With the 4.14.281 version[1], there were three mmc related changes merged,
> but that causes one boot failure with the X15 Android builds, a problem
> similar to one reported before here[2].
> After being confirmed with Ulf Hansson, and verified with the X15 Android build,
> it needs to have the following four commits cherry-picked to the 4.14
> branch as well.
>
>     4f32b45c9a2c mmc: core: Allow host controllers to require R1B for CMD6
>     5fc615c1e3eb mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for erase/trim/discard
>     d091259b8d7a mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for eMMC sleep command
>     23161bed631a mmc: sdhci-omap: Fix busy detection by enabling
> MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY
>
> The above four commits are from the 4.19 branch, as they are a little
> easier to be cherry-picked
> into the 4.14 branch, compared to the commits from the mainline branch.
> (I have confirmed that the four commits are all in 4.19, 5.4, 5.10 and
> mainline branches already).
>
> Saying that, there will be still one merge conflict reported when
> cherry picking the commit of
> 4f32b45c9a2c, it's easy to resolve though.
> To avoid the merge conflict, it could be done like this as well:
> 1. revert the 327b6689898b commit from 4.14 first, so that the commits in step#2
>     could be cherry-picked without any problem
>         327b6689898b mmc: core: Default to generic_cmd6_time as
> timeout in __mmc_switch()
> 2. git cherry-pick the following commits from 4.19 into the 4.14 branch
>         4f32b45c9a2c mmc: core: Allow host controllers to require R1B for CMD6
>         5fc615c1e3eb mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for
> erase/trim/discard
>         d091259b8d7a mmc: core: Respect MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY for eMMC
> sleep command
>         23161bed631a mmc: sdhci-omap: Fix busy detection by enabling
> MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY
>         26c6f614cf02 mmc: mmc: core: Default to generic_cmd6_time as
> timeout in __mmc_switch()
>     The last commit of 26c6f614cf02 is for the revert in step#1.
>
> I am not sure which way is more convenient for the maintenance work
> here, so just list both of them here
> for your information.
> And please let me know if there is anything else I could help on this
> cherry pick work here.

Please send properly backported patches to us, trying to do the revert
and fixup like you describe above is going to be hard to verify I got it
right.  A series of patches is best as that way we know you tested it
properly and sent us the correct patches.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Please help cherry pick four mmc related changes into the 4.14 stable kernel
@ 2022-06-16  8:49   ` Yongqin Liu
From: Yongqin Liu @ 2022-06-16  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: stable, Naresh Kamboju, Benjamin Copeland, Sumit Semwal,
	Daniel Díaz, Alistair Delva, Steve Muckle, Todd Kjos,
	Bajjuri, Praneeth, Vincent Guittot, Anders Roxell, linux-mmc,
	linux-block, Ulf Hansson

Hi, Greg

Sorry for the confusion here, please ignore this request.

I made a mistake there with cherry picking the changes based on one vendor tree,
and there are actually more out of tree changes necessary for the commit
23161bed631a("mmc: sdhci-omap: Fix busy detection by enabling
MMC_CAP_NEED_RSP_BUSY")
to be cherry picked into the 4.14 stable branch.

All the necessary changes are in 4.19, but not in 4.14, and
backporting all of the changes
would be a bit complex task, for the moment. I will cherry pick the
changes to the vendor tree
which has the changes to make the build work.

Sorry again for the confusion here:(

Thanks,
Yongqin Liu

--