stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@arm.com>
To: Sumit Garg <sumit.garg@linaro.org>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	obayashi.yoshimasa@socionext.com, m.szyprowski@samsung.com,
	iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	stable <stable@vger.kernel.org>,
	Daniel Thompson <daniel.thompson@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: DMA direct mapping fix for 5.4 and earlier stable branches
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 12:45:11 +0000	[thread overview]

On 2021-02-09 12:36, Sumit Garg wrote:
> Hi Christoph,

>>> How do you judge "mature"?
>>>
>>> And again, if a feature isn't present in a specific kernel version, why
>>> would you think that it would be a viable solution for you to use?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure dma_get_sgtable has been around much longer and was
>> supposed to work, but only really did work properly for arm32, and
>> for platforms with coherent DMA.  I bet he is using non-coherent arm64,
>
> It's an arm64 platform using coherent DMA where device coherent DMA
> memory pool is defined in the DT as follows:
>
>          reserved-memory {
>                  #address-cells = <2>;
>                  #size-cells = <2>;
>                  ranges;
>
>                  <snip>
>                  encbuffer: encbuffer@0xb0000000 {
>                          compatible = "shared-dma-pool";
>                          reg = <0 0xb0000000 0 0x08000000>; // this
> area used with dma-coherent
>                          no-map;
>                  };
>                  <snip>
>          };
>
> Device is dma-coherent as per following DT property:
>
>                  codec {
>                          compatible = "socionext,uniphier-pxs3-codec";
>                          <snip>
>                          memory-region = <&encbuffer>;
>                          dma-coherent;
>                          <snip>
>                  };
>
> And call chain to create device coherent DMA pool is as follows:
>
> rmem_dma_device_init();
>    dma_init_coherent_memory();
>      memremap();
>        ioremap_wc();
>
> which simply maps coherent DMA memory into vmalloc space on arm64.
>
> The thing I am unclear is why this is called a new feature rather than
> a bug in dma_common_get_sgtable() which is failing to handle vmalloc
> addresses? While at the same time DMA debug APIs specifically handle
> vmalloc addresses [1].

It's not a bug, it's a fundamental design failure. dma_get_sgtable() has
only ever sort-of-worked for DMA buffers that come from CMA or regular
page allocations. In particular, a "no-map" DMA pool is not backed by
kernel memory, so does not have any corresponding page structs, so it's
impossible to generate a *valid* scatterlist to represent memory from
that pool, regardless of what you might get away with provided you don't
poke too hard at it.

It is not a good API...

Robin.