tech-board-discuss.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Tech-board-discuss] Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: September 30, 2023
@ 2023-10-04 16:54 Shuah Khan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shuah Khan @ 2023-10-04 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct

Dear TAB members,

Please review this Code of Conduct Report for April 1, 2023 through
September 30, 2023 and give us feedback.

Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: September 30, 2023

In the period of April 1, 2023 through September 30, 2023, the Code of
Conduct Committee received the following reports:

Unacceptable behavior or comments in email: 4

The result of the investigation:
  - Education and coaching clarifying the Code of Conduct conduct
    related to normal review and patch acceptance process: 3
  - Clarification on the Code of Conduct conduct related to
    maintainer rights and responsibility to reject code: 1

The reports were about the discussion during the patch review and
decisions made in rejecting code and these actions are not viewed
as violations of the Code of Conduct.

Please see the excerpt from the Responsibilities section in the
code-of-conduct-interpretation.rst document:

"setting expertise expectations, making decisions and rejecting unsuitable
contributions are not viewed as a violation of the Code of Conduct."

We would like to thank the Linux kernel community members who have
supported the adoption of the Code of Conduct and who continue to
uphold the professional standards of our community. If you have
questions about this report, please write to <conduct@kernel.org>.

thanks,
-- Shuah (On behalf of the Code of Conduct Committee)

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: September 30, 2023
@ 2023-10-09 14:34 ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2023-10-09 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct

Dear TAB members,

On 10/4/23 10:54, Shuah Khan wrote:
> Dear TAB members,
>
> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for April 1, 2023 through
> September 30, 2023 and give us feedback.

Please give us feedback on this report before the end of this week.

@ 2023-10-09 14:49 ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2023-10-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan; +Cc: conduct, tech-board-discuss

On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 10:54:16AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> Dear TAB members,
>
> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for April 1, 2023 through
> September 30, 2023 and give us feedback.

This looks good to me; thanks for all of your work!

     	   	       	      	      	 - Ted

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: September 30, 2023
@ 2023-10-16 14:39 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2023-10-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan; +Cc: conduct, tech-board-discuss

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:54:16 -0600
Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Dear TAB members,
>
> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for April 1, 2023 through
> September 30, 2023 and give us feedback.

Sorry for the late reply, just been way behind in work lately.

> Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: September 30, 2023
>
> In the period of April 1, 2023 through September 30, 2023, the Code of
> Conduct Committee received the following reports:
>
> Unacceptable behavior or comments in email: 4
>
> The result of the investigation:
>   - Education and coaching clarifying the Code of Conduct conduct
>     related to normal review and patch acceptance process: 3
>   - Clarification on the Code of Conduct conduct related to
>     maintainer rights and responsibility to reject code: 1
>
> The reports were about the discussion during the patch review and
> decisions made in rejecting code and these actions are not viewed
> as violations of the Code of Conduct.
>
> Please see the excerpt from the Responsibilities section in the
> code-of-conduct-interpretation.rst document:
>
> "setting expertise expectations, making decisions and rejecting unsuitable
> contributions are not viewed as a violation of the Code of Conduct."

Sounds to me that people are trying to use the CoC as a way to get code
accepted? Well, there's only 4 reports in a month. I hope that's not too
much of a hassle.

Anyway, LGTM.

-- Steve

@ 2023-10-16 15:03   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2023-10-16 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: conduct, tech-board-discuss

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 10:39:33AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:54:16 -0600
> Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> > Dear TAB members,
> >
> > Please review this Code of Conduct Report for April 1, 2023 through
> > September 30, 2023 and give us feedback.
> >

> Sorry for the late reply, just been way behind in work lately.

> > Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: September 30, 2023
> >
> > In the period of April 1, 2023 through September 30, 2023, the Code of
> > Conduct Committee received the following reports:
> >
> > Unacceptable behavior or comments in email: 4
> >
> > The result of the investigation:
> >   - Education and coaching clarifying the Code of Conduct conduct
> >     related to normal review and patch acceptance process: 3
> >   - Clarification on the Code of Conduct conduct related to
> >     maintainer rights and responsibility to reject code: 1
> >
> > The reports were about the discussion during the patch review and
> > decisions made in rejecting code and these actions are not viewed
> > as violations of the Code of Conduct.
> >
> > Please see the excerpt from the Responsibilities section in the
> > code-of-conduct-interpretation.rst document:
> >
> > "setting expertise expectations, making decisions and rejecting unsuitable
> > contributions are not viewed as a violation of the Code of Conduct."
>
> Sounds to me that people are trying to use the CoC as a way to get code
> accepted?

Yes, people are trying to use the CoC as a way to push back on patch
rejections, it's not anything new, unfortunately :(

> Well, there's only 4 reports in a month. I hope that's not too
> much of a hassle.

4 reports in 6 months, it's not much of a hassle so far.

thanks,

greg k-h