tech-board-discuss.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Tech-board-discuss] Nomination: Jonathan Corbet for the TAB
@ 2021-09-19 20:37 Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2021-09-19 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss

I'm writing to request that the community give me the privilege of serving
another term on the TAB.

Over the years I've worked in a number of areas of the kernel and am
currently the kernel's documentation maintainer.  I also spend a lot of
time being wrong on the Internet at LWN.net; my work gives me a wide view
of the community that is useful in the TAB context.  Most recently my TAB
work has included interfacing with the Linux Plumbers Conference and
helping out, in a small way, with the response to the UMN incident.

One remaining task that I would like to help accomplish is to better define
what the TAB is and its role in the community.  Providing technical advice
to the Linux Foundation is not really part of it these days; instead, the
TAB is at its best when there is a need for somebody to represent the
kernel community as a whole.

The UMN incident is a shining example of how this can work; we were able to
document what happened, fix the damage, and convey our feelings back to UMN
while, I hope, actually strengthening our community's ties with the
academic community.  The TAB holds no real power, but it does have a lot of
accumulated wisdom and a certain amount of respect; if re-elected I'll
continue working to help the TAB to use those resources to benefit the
Linux community.

Thanks,

jon

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-09-19 20:37 UTC | newest]