tech-board-discuss.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Tech-board-discuss] TAB nomination: Jonathan Corbet
@ 2023-11-11 15:28 Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2023-11-11 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss

I would like to nominate myself for one more term on the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board.

Over the years I've worked in a number of areas of the kernel and am
currently the kernel's documentation maintainer.  I also spend a lot of
time being wrong on the Internet at LWN.net; my work gives me a wide view
of the community that is useful in the TAB context.

While the TAB does give advice to the Linux Foundation at times, that is
not its primary function these days.  Instead, its most useful role seems
to be when there is a need to represent the kernel community as a whole.
The TAB has no special powers in this regard; it is just the sum total of
its members and their ability to sense (or help build) a consensus in the
community.  Sometimes this happens in public (think code of conduct, UMN
episode, or the recently added maturity model), other times not.

My long experience in the community, my experience as the documentation
maintainer (which has me dealing with all parts of the kernel), and my time
at LWN all give me a relatively wide perspective of the kernel community
and beyond.  This, I believe, helps improve TAB discussions and in bringing
situations to the TAB's attention in the first place.

Sould the community choose to send me back to the TAB, I'll continue to
work toward the good of the community as a whole.

Thanks,

jon

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] TAB nomination: Jonathan Corbet
@ 2023-11-11 16:14 ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2023-11-11 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

I occasionally run for tab, just because I would like somehow, to find
a way for the linux foundation to refocus on the problems of the
increasingly long and increasingly scary tail of embedded linux, in
everything. Or somehow deal with the steady deterioration of even
basic forms of GPL compliance, like what happened recently in the
cambium vs ubnt "elevate" case. Or pay attention to increasing FCC
interest like the FCC cybersecurity label program and title-ii
regulation.

These days it seems that far too many believe how software development
is done is by magic, that all an org needs to do is publish a spec,
and an infinite number of free programmers appear to implement it. I
recently read a document documenting how best to "consume" open source
with no mention of the formerly implicit two way bargain we thought we
were making back in the day :(

But I gave up on the TAB avenue long ago, and strongly support jon's
renomination for TAB for all that he does so amazingly well for the
linux community, and in keeping lwn a great place to keep learning
about it.

Soldier on!

PS It would be nice if in addition to the code of conduct there were
some solid engineering principles espoused harder, as in  "telling the
truth", and "show me the code" are better than "being nice". My
diplomacy, never good, is increasingly strained.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 10:38 AM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:

> I would like to nominate myself for one more term on the Linux Foundation
> Technical Advisory Board.
>
> Over the years I've worked in a number of areas of the kernel and am
> currently the kernel's documentation maintainer.  I also spend a lot of
> time being wrong on the Internet at LWN.net; my work gives me a wide view
> of the community that is useful in the TAB context.
>
> While the TAB does give advice to the Linux Foundation at times, that is
> not its primary function these days.  Instead, its most useful role seems
> to be when there is a need to represent the kernel community as a whole.
> The TAB has no special powers in this regard; it is just the sum total of
> its members and their ability to sense (or help build) a consensus in the
> community.  Sometimes this happens in public (think code of conduct, UMN
> episode, or the recently added maturity model), other times not.
>
> My long experience in the community, my experience as the documentation
> maintainer (which has me dealing with all parts of the kernel), and my time
> at LWN all give me a relatively wide perspective of the kernel community
> and beyond.  This, I believe, helps improve TAB discussions and in bringing
> situations to the TAB's attention in the first place.
>
> Sould the community choose to send me back to the TAB, I'll continue to
> work toward the good of the community as a whole.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jon

:( My old R&D campus is up for sale: https://tinyurl.com/yurtlab
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] TAB nomination: Jonathan Corbet
@ 2023-11-11 16:58   ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2023-11-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:14:49 -0500
Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS It would be nice if in addition to the code of conduct there were
> some solid engineering principles espoused harder, as in  "telling the
> truth", and "show me the code" are better than "being nice". My
> diplomacy, never good, is increasingly strained.

This is actually something that I'm working on, and will mention it when I
put forth my nomination.

-- Steve

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] TAB nomination: Jonathan Corbet
@ 2023-11-11 17:43     ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2023-11-11 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 11:58 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:14:49 -0500
> Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > PS It would be nice if in addition to the code of conduct there were
> > some solid engineering principles espoused harder, as in  "telling the
> > truth", and "show me the code" are better than "being nice". My
> > diplomacy, never good, is increasingly strained.
>
> This is actually something that I'm working on, and will mention it when I
> put forth my nomination.

Thank you. If your BP management is better than mine, I can dig up
that "consume group"...
otherwise try:
https://medium.com/@jankammerath/open-source-is-struggling-and-its-not-big-tech-that-is-to-blame-cfba964219f8

Not ironically, a for pay link.

I have always found Henning Shulzerines work useful and interesting.
He had a stint at the FCC, and is now at the NTIA. He is also the
author of some 90 RFCs mostly governing VOIP and still thinks the IETF
is useful, (so we disagree here or there). In this wide-ranging and
thoughtful piece well worth paging through, he cites the american
association of civil engineers "ASCE"'s ethics:

https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/papers/2022/2022%20SIGCOMM.pdf

“first and foremost,
protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public
• enhance the quality of life for humanity
• express professional opinions truthfully and only when founded on
adequate knowledge and honest conviction;
• endeavor to be of service in civic affairs;
• acknowledge the diverse historical, social, and cultural needs of the
community, and incorporate these considerations in their work;
• consider the capabilities, limitations, and implications of current and
emerging technologies when part of their work; and
• report misconduct to the appropriate authorities where necessary to
protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.”

Ironically that code was amended, shortened, and softened in 2020. I
like the previous version better, here:

https://www.asce.org/-/media/asce-images-and-files/career-and-growth/ethics/documents/asce-code-ethics.pdf

--

@ 2023-11-11 17:45       ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2023-11-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: tech-board-discuss

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 12:43 PM Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 11:58 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:14:49 -0500
> > Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > PS It would be nice if in addition to the code of conduct there were
> > > some solid engineering principles espoused harder, as in  "telling the
> > > truth", and "show me the code" are better than "being nice". My
> > > diplomacy, never good, is increasingly strained.
> >
> > This is actually something that I'm working on, and will mention it when I
> > put forth my nomination.
>
> Thank you. If your BP management is better than mine, I can dig up
> that "consume group"...
> otherwise try:
> https://medium.com/@jankammerath/open-source-is-struggling-and-its-not-big-tech-that-is-to-blame-cfba964219f8
>
> Not ironically, a for pay link.
>
> I have always found Henning Shulzerines work useful and interesting.
> He had a stint at the FCC, and is now at the NTIA. He is also the
> author of some 90 RFCs mostly governing VOIP and still thinks the IETF
> is useful, (so we disagree here or there). In this wide-ranging and
> thoughtful piece well worth paging through, he cites the american
> association of civil engineers "ASCE"'s ethics:
>
> https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/papers/2022/2022%20SIGCOMM.pdf
>
> “first and foremost,
> protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public
> • enhance the quality of life for humanity
> • express professional opinions truthfully and only when founded on
> adequate knowledge and honest conviction;
> • endeavor to be of service in civic affairs;
> • acknowledge the diverse historical, social, and cultural needs of the
> community, and incorporate these considerations in their work;
> • consider the capabilities, limitations, and implications of current and
> emerging technologies when part of their work; and
> • report misconduct to the appropriate authorities where necessary to
> protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.”
>
> Ironically that code was amended, shortened, and softened in 2020. I
> like the previous version better, here:
>
> https://www.asce.org/-/media/asce-images-and-files/career-and-growth/ethics/documents/asce-code-ethics.pdf

oops, the previous version is here:
https://www.asce.org/-/media/asce-images-and-files/career-and-growth/ethics/documents/asce-code-ethics-july-2017.pdf

I linked mistakenly to the current version. A visual diff is useful
between the two, I suppose.