tech-board-discuss.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Tech-board-discuss] Nomination: Ted Ts'o on TAB
@ 2023-11-14  6:11 Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2023-11-14  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss

Hi all,

[ Note: I know this is late; sorry, I thought until we had until 9am
  on the 14th.  My only excuse is that things have just been super
  busy, and I was doing last minute Maintainers Summit organization
  today.  :-( ]

My two year term on the TAB ends this year, and I'd like to put myself
forward for another two years.  In the past year, I was the primary
author of the Contribution Maturity Model[1].  The CMM was intended to
be a way to encourage companies to measure how much their support and
encouragement they are giving to their employees to conribute to the
upstream, on the theory that "you get what you measure".

[1] tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

The CMM also gradually encouraged companies to reward their employees
who took on community leadership roles, so we could ensure the
continued supply of people who could serve as kernel maintainers.
Given the fairly long thread on the ksummit discussion list about
maintainer burnout, it's become clear to me that in addition to
working with companies to try to address the supply of upstream
contributors who could become maintainers, that we also need to work
on the demand side of the equation.  We are asking individual
maintainers to do too much; and so we need to encourage a model where
more work can be sharded out and distributed to a wider base of
contributors.

I am interested in working on addressing these and other issues which
are critical to our long-term's community success, and I hope I can
return to the TAB to work on these goals.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-11-14  6:11 UTC | newest]