tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
* b4 - imap support?
@ 2021-09-21 17:42 Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2021-09-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools

Hi Konstantin,

Years ago, I moved away from mbox files for receiving email to imap
with mutt, but from what I understand from your talk today, b4 doesn't
support imap. Am I wrong?

Nice talk, thanks!

Regards,
Russell.

--
Russell King

* Re: b4 - imap support?
@ 2021-10-07 14:55 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-10-07 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: tools

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 06:42:55PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> Years ago, I moved away from mbox files for receiving email to imap
> with mutt, but from what I understand from your talk today, b4 doesn't
> support imap. Am I wrong?

No, you're correct, there is no support for imap in b4. Introducing ability to
read and write to IMAP folders would pull in too many dependencies and require
a bit too much effort to properly implement.

There are two alternatives that I think are much better suited for this
purpose. One is to use something like isync/mbsync to do two-way
synchronization for remote imap folders locally. I've been using this setup
for the past few years and I'm yet to run into any significant problems.

The other alternative that is currently being tested is using the new "lei"
command that is able to fetch from and write to imap folders. I'll work to put
together documentation on how to set it up as a way to fetch threads from lore
and upload them to IMAP.

-K