tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
* b4 trailers doesn't work with imported series
@ 2022-12-07  0:41 Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2022-12-07  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

Not a common use case but if I do for example:

| $ b4 prep -F 20221117104636.639889-1-broonie@kernel.org -n tap-spec-relax -f v6.1-rc1
| NOTE: any follow-up trailers were ignored; apply them with b4 trailers -u

I run the suggested command but get:

| $ b4 trailers -u
| Calculating patch-ids from commits, this may take a moment...
| Checking change-id "20221207-tap-spec-relax-9138e5760340"
| Grabbing search results from lore.kernel.org
| Nothing matching that query.
| No trailer updates found.

since the change wasn't sent with b4 initially.  I see that the
documentaton does say to use -F but using that produces the same
output, it looks like it's checking the change-id no matter what
and gives up if it can't find it.

BTW I also notice that no template inter-version chnagelog is
generated for the b4 prep command above, the same thing seems to
happen even if the sent series has a cover letter.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: b4 trailers doesn't work with imported series
@ 2022-12-07  1:56 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-12-07  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: tools

On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 12:41:05AM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> Not a common use case but if I do for example:
>
> | $ b4 prep -F 20221117104636.639889-1-broonie@kernel.org -n tap-spec-relax -f v6.1-rc1
> | NOTE: any follow-up trailers were ignored; apply them with b4 trailers -u
>
> I run the suggested command but get:

Great finds. Fixed now in master. Mostly, this was due to us not expecting to
find a series without a cover letter (which is normal for a single-patch
series).

> BTW I also notice that no template inter-version chnagelog is
> generated for the b4 prep command above, the same thing seems to
> happen even if the sent series has a cover letter.

Yes, this needs further work. The major difficulty here is that cover letters
are so free-form. We enforce some structure when we create the series from
scratch, but when we import it from another existing series, there's no way to
reliably tell if there's already a changelog section -- so I think I will just
bluntly insert a brand new changelog section and let the contributor fix any
obvious errors using --edit-cover.

Thank you for the report!

-K