tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
* b4 and abbrevCommit
@ 2022-12-23 22:22 Bill Pemberton
From: Bill Pemberton @ 2022-12-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools

I've discovered that b4 will not work correctly if you have abbrevCommit
set in your .gitconfig file.  For example, a simple 'b4 prep
--edit-cover' will result in the cover letter not actually changing.
You'll get the edit process and such, but after the fact the commit with
the cover letter will still be the default one that b4 creates.

I assume all calls to git log and git show need the --no-abbrev-commit
option.  Or at least this gotcha should be documented.

--
Bill

* Re: b4 and abbrevCommit
@ 2022-12-27 15:15 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-12-27 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Pemberton; +Cc: tools

On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 05:22:27PM -0500, Bill Pemberton wrote:
> I've discovered that b4 will not work correctly if you have abbrevCommit set
> in your .gitconfig file.  For example, a simple 'b4 prep --edit-cover' will
> result in the cover letter not actually changing. You'll get the edit
> process and such, but after the fact the commit with the cover letter will
> still be the default one that b4 creates.
>
> I assume all calls to git log and git show need the --no-abbrev-commit
> option.  Or at least this gotcha should be documented.

Thank you for the report, I will make sure we cover this case when invoking
git behind the scenes.

-K

* Re: b4 and abbrevCommit
@ 2022-12-27 15:50 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-12-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Pemberton; +Cc: tools

On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 05:22:27PM -0500, Bill Pemberton wrote:
> I've discovered that b4 will not work correctly if you have abbrevCommit set
> in your .gitconfig file.  For example, a simple 'b4 prep --edit-cover' will
> result in the cover letter not actually changing. You'll get the edit
> process and such, but after the fact the commit with the cover letter will
> still be the default one that b4 creates.

This should now be fixed in master and stable-0.11.y.
Thank you for the report.

-K