u-boot.lists.denx.de archive mirror
* how to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine?
@ 2021-10-12  4:46 ckim
From: ckim @ 2021-10-12  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello, u-boot mail list members,

I'm trying to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine to analyze how the S/W
runs.

I followed "doc/board/emulation/qemu-arm.rst", and here is what I did.

For qemu build (using qemu-2.9.0), I did under ~/QEMU/qemu directory,

mkdir build; cd build; ../configure --target-list=aarch64-softmmu
--enable-debug --enable-gtk --disable-werror; make -j24

to build u-boot, I did under ~/U-BOOT/u-boot,

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf- qemu_arm64_defconfig

To run u-boot on qemu, I did under ~/U-BOOT/u-boot

~/QEMU/qemu/build/aarch64-softmmu/qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu
cortex-a57 -bios u-boot.bin

But I see only qemu manager window and I don't know how to proceed.

Am I not supposed to see u-boot program running?

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Chan Kim

* Re: how to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine?
@ 2021-10-12 19:11 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2021-10-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ckim; +Cc: u-boot

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 01:46:33PM +0900, ckim@etri.re.kr wrote:

> Hello, u-boot mail list members,
>
> I'm trying to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine to analyze how the S/W
> runs.
>
> I followed "doc/board/emulation/qemu-arm.rst", and here is what I did.
>

> For qemu build (using qemu-2.9.0), I did under ~/QEMU/qemu directory,
>
> mkdir build; cd build; ../configure --target-list=aarch64-softmmu
> --enable-debug --enable-gtk --disable-werror; make -j24
>
> to build u-boot, I did under ~/U-BOOT/u-boot,
>
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf- qemu_arm64_defconfig
>
> To run u-boot on qemu, I did under ~/U-BOOT/u-boot
>
> ~/QEMU/qemu/build/aarch64-softmmu/qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu
> cortex-a57 -bios u-boot.bin
>

> But I see only qemu manager window and I don't know how to proceed.
>
> Am I not supposed to see u-boot program running?
>
> What am I doing wrong? Any help will be really appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

That's a very old QEMU version.  We use v6.1.0 currently and v4.2.0
before that.

--
Tom

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: how to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine?
@ 2021-10-13  5:03   ` Chan Kim
From: Chan Kim @ 2021-10-13  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tom Rini'; +Cc: u-boot

> That's a very old QEMU version.  We use v6.1.0 currently and v4.2.0 before
> that.
>
> --
> Tom

Thank you, Tom

Yes, so I tried it now with v4.2.0 with "-nographic" option. (Without it I
still see qemu manager window.)

@ 2021-10-13  9:29     ` François Ozog
From: François Ozog @ 2021-10-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chan Kim; +Cc: Tom Rini, u-boot

Hi

You can find work in progress here too:
http://releases.linaro.org/components/ledge/rp-0.2/ledge-multi-armv8/

For aarch64 there are virt and sbsa-ref machines. Virt is essentially to
boot a VM while sbsa-ref is a reference platform that mimics all required
hardware, firmware for the secure world (TF-A, OP-TEE) and firmware for
normal world (U-Boot, EDK2). This technology (sbsa-ref) is really to
simulate a system for pre-silicon development while virt shall be used in
cloud native environments.

We are working on something that we may end up calling bsa-ref (note the
absence of initial S standing for “server”). Sbsa-ref is about edk2 and
acpi, bsa-ref is about U-Boot and device tree. The directory points to this
work in progress. You can have a look at SystemReady in Arm to understand
and get details on bsa.

In a future release of Qemu, one will be able to simulate a full platform
with its main processor (as of today) but also SCP (system control
processor) and MCP (management control processor).

Cheers

FF

Le mer. 13 oct. 2021 à 07:03, Chan Kim <ckim@etri.re.kr> a écrit :

> > That's a very old QEMU version.  We use v6.1.0 currently and v4.2.0
> before
> > that.
> >
> > --
> > Tom
>
> Thank you, Tom
>
> Yes, so I tried it now with v4.2.0 with "-nographic" option. (Without it I
> still see qemu manager window.)
>
> Chan Kim
>

> --
François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Business Development*
T: +33.67221.6485
francois.ozog@linaro.org | Skype: ffozog

* RE: how to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine?
@ 2021-10-14  3:02       ` Chan Kim
From: Chan Kim @ 2021-10-14  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'François Ozog'; +Cc: 'Tom Rini', u-boot

Hi Francois,

Thanks for the good information. I’ll look into that later.

Can I ask you a basic question?

When there are SCP, MCP and the main processor, in what processor does u-boot program run? I understand it runs on the main processor.

Is it possible to run it on SCP? I mean loading from SD card the kernel, file system, dtb etc to the memory and calling kernel.

Thank you!

Chan Kim

  <https://static.linaro.org/common/images/linaro-logo-web.png>

François-Frédéric Ozog | Director Business Development

T: +33.67221.6485
 <mailto:francois.ozog@linaro.org> francois.ozog@linaro.org | Skype: ffozog

* RE: how to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine?
@ 2021-10-14  3:06       ` Chan Kim
From: Chan Kim @ 2021-10-14  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'François Ozog'; +Cc: 'Tom Rini', u-boot

I think my question has error.

Is it possible to run it on SCP? I mean loading from SD card the kernel, file system, dtb etc to the memory and calling kernel.

==>

Is it possible to run it on SCP? I mean loading from SD card the kernel, file system, dtb etc to the memory and waking the main processor to start from kernel.

Thank you.

Chan Kim

@ 2021-10-14 12:40         ` François Ozog
From: François Ozog @ 2021-10-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chan Kim; +Cc: Tom Rini, u-boot

Le jeu. 14 oct. 2021 à 05:06, Chan Kim <ckim@etri.re.kr> a écrit :

> I think my question has error.
>
> Is it possible to run it on SCP? I mean loading from SD card the kernel,
> file system, dtb etc to the memory and calling kernel.

> Is it possible to run it on SCP? I mean loading from SD card the kernel,
> file system, dtb etc to the memory and waking the main processor to start
> from kernel.

The role of the SCP is mainly to setup clock and power devices. It does
have much space to do anything else. You can look at open source
implementation of SCP, select a platform that has one and check if it has
enough memory (you may try to run U-Boot SPL). You need to know which chip
has reponsibility to setup dram controller.