u-boot.lists.denx.de archive mirror
* License: embed u-boot binary in FPGA bitstream
@ 2021-10-14 14:12 Andreas Oetken
From: Andreas Oetken @ 2021-10-14 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear U-Boot experts,

If I embed a u-boot binary into a FPGA bitstream (block memory) are
there any license issues? I can't release the FPGA hardware description
files. So the only alternative I could think of would be another small
bootloader loading the u-boot binary from an external non-volatile
memory.

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Andreas

* Re: License: embed u-boot binary in FPGA bitstream
@ 2021-10-19  7:13 ` François Ozog
From: François Ozog @ 2021-10-19  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Oetken; +Cc: Ilias Apalodimas, Simon Glass, Tom Rini, u-boot

Hi

Did you get an answer I missed ?

There’s active discussion on DTB lifecycle.

From the Xilinx boards I am aware of, there is a Xilinx primary boot loader
that then loads u-boot SPL and then U-Boot proper.

My understanding is that you can attach the hardware description DTB with
the bitstream and pass it across to U-Boot proper.
Your build system can take a base board DTS and add the FPGA devices to it
to generate the DTB.

I’ll ask an FPGA expert to comment.

Cheers

FF

Le jeu. 14 oct. 2021 à 16:18, Andreas Oetken <ennoerlangen@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Dear U-Boot experts,
>
> If I embed a u-boot binary into a FPGA bitstream (block memory) are
> there any license issues? I can't release the FPGA hardware description
> files. So the only alternative I could think of would be another small
> bootloader loading the u-boot binary from an external non-volatile
> memory.
>
> Thank you,
> Best Regards,
> Andreas
>
> --
François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Business Development*
T: +33.67221.6485
francois.ozog@linaro.org | Skype: ffozog

* Re: License: embed u-boot binary in FPGA bitstream
@ 2021-10-19 13:46   ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2021-10-19 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Ozog; +Cc: Andreas Oetken, Ilias Apalodimas, Simon Glass, u-boot