u-boot.lists.denx.de archive mirror
* Problem IMX8MN booting legacy kernel and mipi display
@ 2022-02-02 12:24 Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2022-02-02 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam
  Cc: dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Adam Ford, Tim Harvey, Stefano Babic

Hi all

I have now able to pack those combination and all of them look ok

- mainline uboot
- optee 3.15.0
- atf 2.5
- mainline kernel

- mainline uboot
- optee 3.15.0
- imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
- Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2

I have a setup where I can test some peripherals. I can run an optee
test on both combinations
The big issue I have it's the DSIM display it's not working and
crashes the kernel using the rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 nxp version. The
mipi
randomly deadlock the booting. If I don't register the mipi part it's
ok. Can someone have an idea?

All of them can be test using a buildroot setup

Michael

* Re: Problem IMX8MN booting legacy kernel and mipi display
@ 2022-02-02 13:02 ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-02-02 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Tim Harvey, Stefano Babic

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 6:24 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have now able to pack those combination and all of them look ok
>
> - mainline uboot
> - optee 3.15.0
> - atf 2.5
> - mainline kernel
>
> - mainline uboot
> - optee 3.15.0
> - imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> - Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
>
> I have a setup where I can test some peripherals. I can run an optee
> test on both combinations
> The big issue I have it's the DSIM display it's not working and
> crashes the kernel using the rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 nxp version. The
> mipi
> randomly deadlock the booting. If I don't register the mipi part it's
> ok. Can someone have an idea?

Are you using the  Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 with imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2?

The NXP kernel expects the NXP ATF code.  The power-domain drivers in
the NXP branch make secure calls to ATF which enable/disable the
power-domains which control a bunch of peripherals like DSI, CSI, USB
and GPU.  If you're using the mainline ATF, I don't believe it
contains the power-domain controllers, so when the Linux power-domain
drivers make the secure calls, it's likely the power-domains won't
change.

adam

@ 2022-02-02 13:04   ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2022-02-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Ford
  Cc: Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Tim Harvey, Stefano Babic

Hi Adam

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 6:24 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have now able to pack those combination and all of them look ok
> >
> > - mainline uboot
> > - optee 3.15.0
> > - atf 2.5
> > - mainline kernel
> >
> > - mainline uboot
> > - optee 3.15.0
> > - imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> > - Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> >
> > I have a setup where I can test some peripherals. I can run an optee
> > test on both combinations
> > The big issue I have it's the DSIM display it's not working and
> > crashes the kernel using the rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 nxp version. The
> > mipi
> > randomly deadlock the booting. If I don't register the mipi part it's
> > ok. Can someone have an idea?
>
> Are you using the  Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 with imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2?
>
> The NXP kernel expects the NXP ATF code.  The power-domain drivers in
> the NXP branch make secure calls to ATF which enable/disable the
> power-domains which control a bunch of peripherals like DSI, CSI, USB
> and GPU.  If you're using the mainline ATF, I don't believe it
> contains the power-domain controllers, so when the Linux power-domain
> drivers make the secure calls, it's likely the power-domains won't
> change.

- mainline uboot
- optee 3.15.0
- imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
- Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2

I have tried even to not load optee in the image but still the same

Michael

--
Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer

Amarula Solutions BV
Joop Geesinkweg 125, 1114 AB, Amsterdam, NL
T. +31 (0)85 111 9172
info@amarulasolutions.com
www.amarulasolutions.com

* Re: Problem IMX8MN booting legacy kernel and mipi display
@ 2022-02-02 15:54     ` Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2022-02-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Adam Ford, Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Stefano Babic

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 5:04 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi Adam
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 6:24 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> > <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I have now able to pack those combination and all of them look ok
> > >
> > > - mainline uboot
> > > - optee 3.15.0
> > > - atf 2.5
> > > - mainline kernel
> > >
> > > - mainline uboot
> > > - optee 3.15.0
> > > - imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> > > - Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> > >
> > > I have a setup where I can test some peripherals. I can run an optee
> > > test on both combinations
> > > The big issue I have it's the DSIM display it's not working and
> > > crashes the kernel using the rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 nxp version. The
> > > mipi
> > > randomly deadlock the booting. If I don't register the mipi part it's
> > > ok. Can someone have an idea?
> >
> > Are you using the  Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 with imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2?
> >
> > The NXP kernel expects the NXP ATF code.  The power-domain drivers in
> > the NXP branch make secure calls to ATF which enable/disable the
> > power-domains which control a bunch of peripherals like DSI, CSI, USB
> > and GPU.  If you're using the mainline ATF, I don't believe it
> > contains the power-domain controllers, so when the Linux power-domain
> > drivers make the secure calls, it's likely the power-domains won't
> > change.
>
> - mainline uboot
> - optee 3.15.0
> - imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> - Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
>
> I have tried even to not load optee in the image but still the same
>
> Michael
> >
> > adam
> > >
> > > All of them can be test using a buildroot setup
> > >
> > > Michael

Michael,

I have not bothered with NXP's kernel, but I do have DSIM working on
5.15 with a set of patches here
https://github.com/Gateworks/linux-venice if it is helpful. I've been
using this with a mainline U-Boot, imx-atf lf_v2.4.

Tim

* Re: Problem IMX8MN booting legacy kernel and mipi display
@ 2022-02-02 23:42       ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2022-02-02 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Harvey
  Cc: Adam Ford, Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Stefano Babic

Hi

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 4:54 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 5:04 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Adam
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Are you using the  Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2 with imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2?
> > >
> > > The NXP kernel expects the NXP ATF code.  The power-domain drivers in
> > > the NXP branch make secure calls to ATF which enable/disable the
> > > power-domains which control a bunch of peripherals like DSI, CSI, USB
> > > and GPU.  If you're using the mainline ATF, I don't believe it
> > > contains the power-domain controllers, so when the Linux power-domain
> > > drivers make the secure calls, it's likely the power-domains won't
> > > change.
> >
> > - mainline uboot
> > - optee 3.15.0
> > - imx-atf rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> > - Linux rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2
> >
> > I have tried even to not load optee in the image but still the same
> >
> > Michael
> > >
> > > adam

> Michael,
>
> I have not bothered with NXP's kernel, but I do have DSIM working on
> 5.15 with a set of patches here
> https://github.com/Gateworks/linux-venice if it is helpful. I've been
> using this with a mainline U-Boot, imx-atf lf_v2.4.

I can not boot with lf_v2.4 but I can with atf 2.5

U-Boot SPL 2022.01 (Feb 03 2022 - 00:40:59 +0100)
WDT:   Started watchdog@30280000 with servicing (60s timeout)
Trying to boot from BOOTROM
Find img info 0x&4802ea00, size 1304
Need continue download 1024
Download 1091320, Total size 1092856
NOTICE:  BL31: v2.5(debug):2021.11-1336-gd5b2784b98
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 00:40:52, Feb  3 2022
INFO:    GICv3 with legacy support detected.
INFO:    ARM GICv3 driver initialized in EL3
INFO:    Maximum SPI INTID supported: 159
INFO:    BL31: Initializing runtime services
INFO:    BL31: cortex_a53: CPU workaround for 855873 was applied
WARNING: BL31: cortex_a53: CPU workaround for 1530924 was missing!
INFO:    BL31: Initializing BL32
INFO:    BL31: Preparing for EL3 exit to normal world
INFO:    Entry point address = 0x40200000
INFO:    SPSR = 0x3c9

U-Boot 2022.01 (Feb 03 2022 - 00:40:59 +0100)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX8MNano Solo rev1.0 at 1200 MHz
Reset cause: POR
Model: BSH SMM S2 PRO
DRAM:  504 MiB
WDT:   Started watchdog@30280000 with servicing (60s timeout)
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial

Michael

--

@ 2022-02-12 19:27       ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2022-02-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Harvey
  Cc: Adam Ford, Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Stefano Babic

Hi Tim

You are using the imx8mm. I have problems on imx8mn. It's like some
part is not implemented. Time to time power domain timeout if I
enabled
mipi pipeline

Michael

--

@ 2022-02-13 16:03         ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-02-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Tim Harvey, Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Stefano Babic

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim
>
> You are using the imx8mm. I have problems on imx8mn. It's like some
> part is not implemented. Time to time power domain timeout if I
> enabled
> mipi pipeline

If you're using ATF from its mainline branch, it likely does not have
the power domain code enabled, so many peripherals (including DSI and
CSI) likely won't work.

The power-domain code would be located in gpc.v [1], but as far as I
know, attempts to push that upstream were abandoned in favor of having
Linux do the power domain stuff, so to use NXP's kernel, you'll need
NXP's ATF.

[1] - https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-atf/tree/plat/imx/imx8m/imx8mn/gpc.c?h=lf_v2.4

adam

@ 2022-02-13 16:27           ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2022-02-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Ford
  Cc: Tim Harvey, Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Stefano Babic

Hi Adam

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 5:03 PM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tim
> >
> > You are using the imx8mm. I have problems on imx8mn. It's like some
> > part is not implemented. Time to time power domain timeout if I
> > enabled
> > mipi pipeline
>
> If you're using ATF from its mainline branch, it likely does not have
> the power domain code enabled, so many peripherals (including DSI and
> CSI) likely won't work.
>
> The power-domain code would be located in gpc.v [1], but as far as I
> know, attempts to push that upstream were abandoned in favor of having
> Linux do the power domain stuff, so to use NXP's kernel, you'll need
> NXP's ATF.
>
> [1] - https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-atf/tree/plat/imx/imx8m/imx8mn/gpc.c?h=lf_v2.4

I;m working on mainline on each component. I was thinking that
blk-ctrl do the stuff there

Michael

--

@ 2022-02-13 16:31             ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-02-13 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Tim Harvey, Fabio Estevam, dl-uboot-imx, U-Boot-Denx, Stefano Babic

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 10:27 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi Adam
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 5:03 PM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> > <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Tim
> > >
> > > You are using the imx8mm. I have problems on imx8mn. It's like some
> > > part is not implemented. Time to time power domain timeout if I
> > > enabled
> > > mipi pipeline
> >
> > If you're using ATF from its mainline branch, it likely does not have
> > the power domain code enabled, so many peripherals (including DSI and
> > CSI) likely won't work.
> >
> > The power-domain code would be located in gpc.v [1], but as far as I
> > know, attempts to push that upstream were abandoned in favor of having
> > Linux do the power domain stuff, so to use NXP's kernel, you'll need
> > NXP's ATF.
> >
> > [1] - https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-atf/tree/plat/imx/imx8m/imx8mn/gpc.c?h=lf_v2.4
> >

> I;m working on mainline on each component. I was thinking that
> blk-ctrl do the stuff there

When I did the blk-ctrl porting to the Nano, we didn't have a
functional DSI driver, so I did what I thought was best based on the
limited information I had and I had no way to test it. I know several
others have attempted various driver ports, but I don;t know which one
you're trying to use.  If you have a repo that you're using, I can try
to take a look at it.

adam