Util-Linux Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* Improvement suggestion for mkfs.8 manpage
@ 2019-02-06 15:43 Johannes Unglert
From: Johannes Unglert @ 2019-02-06 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hello,

i stumbled upon a minor spelling error in the mkfs.8 manpage.
It´s an capitalization error for the verbose option.

Please see attached diff for more information.

How should i handle this? What´s the desired procedure?
Do you want me to create a pull-request?

with best regards

Johannes Unglert
--
Johannes Unglert
Auszubildender Fachinformatik - AE

B1 Systems GmbH
GF: Ralph Dehner / Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt, HRB 3537

[-- Attachment #2: mkfs.8.patch --]

* Re: Improvement suggestion for mkfs.8 manpage
@ 2019-02-07 16:13 ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-02-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Unglert; +Cc: util-linux

On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 04:43:14PM +0100, Johannes Unglert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i stumbled upon a minor spelling error in the mkfs.8 manpage.
> It´s an capitalization error for the verbose option.

The existing man page is correct, as near as I can determine; the -V
is the verbose option to the mkfs wrapper program.  For many file
system mkfs.FSTYP back ends -v is an option that will ask the
mkfs.FSTYP command to be verbose, but that's a different thing.

					- Ted

* Re: Improvement suggestion for mkfs.8 manpage
@ 2019-02-08  9:47   ` Johannes Unglert
From: Johannes Unglert @ 2019-02-08  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: util-linux

Hi,

thank you for the quick answer.

>> i stumbled upon a minor spelling error in the mkfs.8 manpage.
>> It´s an capitalization error for the verbose option.
>
> The existing man page is correct, as near as I can determine; the -V
> is the verbose option to the mkfs wrapper program.  For many file
> system mkfs.FSTYP back ends -v is an option that will ask the
> mkfs.FSTYP command to be verbose, but that's a different thing.

I think I described the error the wrong way.
In the mkfs manpage there are two -V options:
One for 'verbose' and one for 'version'.

The two -V options are both written with a capital letter.
It is ambiguous and I think this should not be intentional.

Please correct me if I'm missing anything here.

With best regards

Johannes Unglert

--

@ 2019-02-08 15:20     ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-02-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Unglert; +Cc: util-linux

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 10:47:47AM +0100, Johannes Unglert wrote:

> I think I described the error the wrong way.
> In the mkfs manpage there are two -V options:
> One for 'verbose' and one for 'version'.
>
> The two -V options are both written with a capital letter.
> It is ambiguous and I think this should not be intentional.
>
> Please correct me if I'm missing anything here.

I noticed this, and it's weird, but what's there is technically
correct in that it accurately described how mkfs works:

       -V, --verbose
              Produce  verbose  output, including all filesystem-specific com‐
              mands that are executed.  Specifying this option more than  once
              inhibits execution of any filesystem-specific commands.  This is
              really only useful for testing.

       -V, --version
              Display version information and exit.  (Option -V  will  display
              version  information  only when it is the only parameter, other‐
              wise it will work as --verbose.)

That is, "mkfs -V" == "mkfs --version".

However "mkfs --verbose -- -Fq -t ext4 /tmp/foo.img 4M" is the same as:
"mkfs -V -- -Fq -t ext4 /tmp/foo.img 4M"

I don't think most people notice this because most people they tend
not to use the mkfs wrapper in this mode.  In general, they will use
"mkfs.ext4" instead of "mkfs -t ext4".  Which is good because it's
actually a bit buggy:

% mkfs -V -t ext4 -Fq /tmp/foo.img 4M
mkfs from util-linux 2.33.1
mkfs.ext4 ext4 -Fq /tmp/foo.img 4M
mkfs.ext4: invalid blocks '/tmp/foo.img' on device 'ext4'

In general, I generally recommend that people use /sbin/mkfs.ext4 or
/sbin/mke2fs -t ext4, because the mkfs wrapper doesn't add much value,
and it gets confusing which options are parameters are grabbed by
mkfs, and which will get passed to the back-end mkfs program.

Cheers,

					- Ted

* Re: Improvement suggestion for mkfs.8 manpage
@ 2019-02-11  9:41       ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2019-02-11  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: Johannes Unglert, util-linux

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 10:20:02AM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> In general, I generally recommend that people use /sbin/mkfs.ext4 or
> /sbin/mke2fs -t ext4, because the mkfs wrapper doesn't add much value,
> and it gets confusing which options are parameters are grabbed by
> mkfs, and which will get passed to the back-end mkfs program.

Yes, the first sentence in the DESCRIPTION section:

  This mkfs frontend is deprecated in favour of filesystem specific mkfs.<type> utils.

Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com