util-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* mountbomber -- generate mount load
@ 2020-09-23 11:05 Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2020-09-23 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux; +Cc: Ian Kent, Michal Sekletar

 Hi,

I have created an experimental testing tool to generate a large number of
mount/umount operations on a large number of mount points. The important feature
is that it does not use standard mount(8) command and it does not parse
anything in /proc.

The goal is to have a standard tool to easily reproduce mount load without
writing a custom shell scripts.

The number of features is pretty basic and it supports only tmpfs now. Maybe
later it will support other filesystems, regular block devices (or loopdevs)
and more operations (like remount, execute scripts, etc.). We will see ...

The tool creates and cleanup all stuff, you do not have create mountpoints, etc.

It's maintained in separate branch in util-linux repository:

  git clone https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux.git --branch topic/mountbomber --single-branch
  cd util-linux
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure
  make mountbomber

Examples:

  # mountbomber --parallel 1 --verbose \
                --oper "mount:all,@A,umount:rand,mount:last,->A(loops=2),umount:all"

  - one process, 100 mountpoints (default), random umount and mount two times

  # mountbomber --verbose --pool 10 \
                --oper "mount:all,@A,umount:next,mount:last,delay(500000),->A(loops=200),umount:all"

  - 200 times umount and mount in order

  # mountbomber --pool 10000 \
                --oper "mount:all,@A,umount:rand,mount:last,delay(1000),->A(seconds=60),umount:all"

   - 10 processes (default) repeating random umount/mount for 1 minute on 10000 mountpoints
   - your udisks will be pretty busy :-)

For more details:

  $ mountbomber --help

there is no man page yet.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: mountbomber -- generate mount load
@ 2020-09-24  1:26 ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2020-09-24  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak, util-linux; +Cc: Michal Sekletar

On Wed, 2020-09-23 at 13:05 +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I have created an experimental testing tool to generate a large
> number of
> mount/umount operations on a large number of mount points. The
> important feature
> is that it does not use standard mount(8) command and it does not
> parse
> anything in /proc.

This sounds great for testing large mount table and high notification
rates.

I'll certainly give a a spin as soon as I can get back to that systemd
change for high notification rate handling, I've had trouble with
various distractions lately unfortunately.

Thanks Karel.