util-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* FAT12 format does not honor the -R option
@ 2021-01-15 16:01 Michael T. Kloos
From: Michael T. Kloos @ 2021-01-15 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

"mkfs.vfat -F 12 -R 2 /dev/loop0" does not seem to honor the -R option.
It just defaults to 0x20 for the reserved sector count. I can hexedit
the FS to move the file allocation table contents and change 0x20 to
0x02 in the reserved sector count field. Mounting this seems to work
fine under the Linux FAT driver from my limited experimentation.  It
just seems like a waste of space reserving that many sectors in a FAT12
FS where it is most likely to be used in space constrained
applications.  Is this a bug or is it working around some compatibility
issue with 2 reserved pages?

Thanks,
----Michael

* Re: FAT12 format does not honor the -R option
@ 2021-01-15 16:28 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2021-01-15 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael T. Kloos; +Cc: util-linux

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:01:45AM -0500, Michael T. Kloos wrote:
> "mkfs.vfat -F 12 -R 2 /dev/loop0" does not seem to honor the -R option.

For mkfs.vfat see https://github.com/dosfstools/dosfstools. It's not
maintained by util-linux project.

 Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: FAT12 format does not honor the -R option
@ 2021-01-15 16:48   ` Michael T. Kloos
From: Michael T. Kloos @ 2021-01-15 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux

If anyone is curious, I found the answer.  Per this thread:

https://github.com/dosfstools/dosfstools/issues/67

You have to use the -a option to disable alignment.  There is discussion
in the thread of the addition of a warning to indicate to the user of
this unexpected behavior and how to resolve it.