util-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* libblkid filesystem block size
@ 2018-10-03 21:41 Mikulas Patocka
From: Mikulas Patocka @ 2018-10-03 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vojtech Trefny, Karel Zak; +Cc: Mike Snitzer, dm-devel, lvm-devel, util-linux

Hi

As you maintain libblkid, I'd like to ask - would it be possible to add
detection of filesystem block size to it? libblkid already has description
of various filesystem superblocks, so it shouldn't be too hard.

LVM needs to know the block size because when it enables caching for a
logical volume using the dm-writecache target or integrity protection
using the dm-integrity target, the block size of the device mapper target
should match the block size of the underlying filesystem (if the cache has
smaller block size than the filesystem, it is inefficient, if the cache
has larger block size than the filesystem, the filesystem won't mount).

Caching or integrity protection can be enabled on the fly for existing
logical volumes (mounted or not mounted). XFS creates filesystems with
512-byte block size even on some modern SSDs, so the problem with small
block size exists even today.

Mikulas

* Re: libblkid filesystem block size
@ 2018-10-04  9:43 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2018-10-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikulas Patocka
  Cc: Vojtech Trefny, Mike Snitzer, dm-devel, lvm-devel, util-linux

 Ahoj,

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 05:41:59PM -0400, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> As you maintain libblkid, I'd like to ask - would it be possible to add
> detection of filesystem block size to it? libblkid already has description
> of various filesystem superblocks, so it shouldn't be too hard.

we had something like this (and also FS size) in our TODO for years.
So, I don't see problem to add it now. Send patch ;-)

All you need is to add

 libblkid/src/superblocks/superblocks.c: blkid_probe_set_fs_blocksize()

to add "BLKSZ" variable to the probing result (use for example
blkid_probe_set_version() as a template).

And then use this function in FS specific probers. The variable will
automatically visible for udev as ID_FS_BLKSZ=.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com