util-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* libuuid related tasks for next v2.39
@ 2022-04-01  9:21 Karel Zak
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Karel Zak @ 2022-04-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux; +Cc: Stanislav Brabec, Trapp, Michael

 Hi,

 I'd like to invest time to libuuid and uuidd in the next v2.39.

 Stanislav had same ideas and a lot of research in libuuid code to
 make things more stable, and I'd like to improve testability of the
 all UUID stack we have in util-linux.

 TODO:

  * uuid_generate_* functions refactoring to make things readable and
    to separate ways how UUIDs are generated

  * clean up uuidd to generate UUID only by the most robust UUIDs way
    without any fallback (use uuid_generate_time_sync_by_file())

  * report all issues on uuidd stderr

  * optionally keep clockfile (/var/lib/libuuid/clock.txt) in uuidd hands
    to make sure the file is not shared with other users if the system
    is only-uuidd based; for example add --clock-file uuidd option to
    overwrite libuuid default.

  * invite our SAP friends to the upstream development to share ideas
    and requirement :-)

  * rewrite misc-utils/test_uuidd.c to something commonly usable
    (uuidinfo tool?) and use it in util-linux regression tests,
    features:

     - detect if uuidd is running
     - add statistics to the uuidd (number of generated UUIDs,
       clients, errors, ...)
     - add new UUIDD_OP_* to the uuidd to get additional information
       about the daemon (paths, statistics, etc.)
     - stress test (like the current test_uuidd.c)

  * anything else?

   Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>