Util-Linux Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* cal: lack of color support disables "standout mode"
@ 2019-01-23 17:26 Nuno Silva
From: Nuno Silva @ 2019-01-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hello,

The cal utility seems to check for color support in the current $TERM in
order to turn standout mode on or off. This means that, in a monochrome
terminal, the current/requested day is not highlighted, even if the
terminal has standout mode defined.

While I can force this with --color=always, I'd say it's slightly
confusing that the highlighting is controlled by --color=. If this
behaviour is kept, perhaps the man page could say something about this?

--
Best regards,
Nuno Silva

* Re: cal: lack of color support disables "standout mode"
@ 2019-02-04 13:25 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2019-02-04 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nuno Silva; +Cc: util-linux

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 09:05:41AM +0000, Nuno Silva wrote:
> The cal utility seems to check for color support in the current $TERM in
> order to turn standout mode on or off. This means that, in a monochrome
> terminal, the current/requested day is not highlighted, even if the
> terminal has standout mode defined.

Fixed. Thanks for your report.

> While I can force this with --color=always, I'd say it's slightly
> confusing that the highlighting is controlled by --color=. If this
> behaviour is kept, perhaps the man page could say something about this?

The idea has been to colorize another things too (week days, weekend,
...), but it has never been implemented :-)

The option name is the same as we use in another utils for this
purpose.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* cal: lack of color support disables "standout mode"
@ 2019-01-23  9:05 Nuno Silva