WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "Ivan Labáth" <labawi-wg@matrix-dream.net>
To: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@toke.dk>
Cc: henningreich@gmail.com, wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: Overlapping AllowedIPs Configuration
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 08:05:07 +0000

On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 12:09:45PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Paul Zillmann <paul@zil.li> writes:
..
> > The problem is that the allowed-ips configuration has multiple purposes:
> > routing table and firewall/packet filter. This introduces these
> > problems. It would be helpfull to get a compile flag or something else
> > to make this behavior optional.
>
> That is probably not going to happen; the crypto-routing is quite
> integral to Wireguard, and is an important security feature.

Disabling source filtering entirely is a bad idea, but permitting
non-routed (duplicate) inputs would be a useful feature for key-rotation,
failover and building resilient and/or exotic routing networks
without adding yet another layer of tunneling headers.

For example by separating parameters as:
AllowedIPs: A, B, C
RouteIPs: A, C
or set both:
IPs: A, C

As per the original question, I do find it strange, that a transient
modification of a peer can remove routes from another peer. Also
discarding routes in general, even more so when done silently.

Regards,
Ivan