WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* wg-quick up automation fails
@ 2019-06-01 23:49 Silvan Nagl
  2019-06-02  6:32 ` XRP
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Silvan Nagl @ 2019-06-01 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WireGuard mailing list

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1323 bytes --]

G'day,

i recently upgrade WireGuard to the latest shipped Debian version
(0.0.20190406-1) and noticed my wg-quick created interface did not come
up as usual anymore. (Also tried the git master branch) I tried to
single command trough wg-quick's automation to reproduce the error;

automatic:

[#] ip link add Y type wireguard
[#] wg setconf Y /dev/fd/63
[#] ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
[#] ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
[#] ip link set mtu XXXX up dev Y
[#] resolvconf -a tun.Y -m 0 -x
[#] wg set Y fwmark 51820
[#] ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
RTNETLINK answers: No such device
[#] resolvconf -d tun.Y
[#] ip link delete dev Y

manual:

> ip link add Y type wireguard

> wg setconf Y <(wg-quick strip /etc/wireguard/Y.conf)

> ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y

> ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y

> ip link set mtu 1268 up dev Y

> resolvconf -a tun.X -m 0 -x

> wg set Y fwmark 51820

> ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820

< RTNETLINK answers: No such device

(MTU may be to low here so i set it higher again)

> ip link set mtu 1420 up dev Y

> ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820 (works now)

breaks up @ this point because of error handling...

Additionally it could be possible the MTU isn't set correctly.


Greetings,

53c70r



[-- Attachment #1.2: OpenPGP digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 148 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
WireGuard mailing list
WireGuard@lists.zx2c4.com
https://lists.zx2c4.com/mailman/listinfo/wireguard

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: wg-quick up automation fails
  2019-06-01 23:49 wg-quick up automation fails Silvan Nagl
@ 2019-06-02  6:32 ` XRP
  2019-06-02 10:27   ` Silvan Nagl
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: XRP @ 2019-06-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Silvan Nagl, WireGuard mailing list

On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 01:49 +0200, Silvan Nagl wrote:
> G'day,
> 
> i recently upgrade WireGuard to the latest shipped Debian version
> (0.0.20190406-1) and noticed my wg-quick created interface did not
> come
> up as usual anymore. (Also tried the git master branch) I tried to
> single command trough wg-quick's automation to reproduce the error;
> 
> automatic:
> 
> [#] ip link add Y type wireguard
> [#] wg setconf Y /dev/fd/63
> [#] ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
> [#] ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
> [#] ip link set mtu XXXX up dev Y
> [#] resolvconf -a tun.Y -m 0 -x
> [#] wg set Y fwmark 51820
> [#] ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
> RTNETLINK answers: No such device
> [#] resolvconf -d tun.Y
> [#] ip link delete dev Y
> 
> manual:
> 
> > ip link add Y type wireguard
> > wg setconf Y <(wg-quick strip /etc/wireguard/Y.conf)
> > ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
> > ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
> > ip link set mtu 1268 up dev Y
> > resolvconf -a tun.X -m 0 -x
> > wg set Y fwmark 51820
> > ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
> 
> < RTNETLINK answers: No such device
> 
> (MTU may be to low here so i set it higher again)
> 
> > ip link set mtu 1420 up dev Y
> > ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820 (works now)
> 
> breaks up @ this point because of error handling...
> 
> Additionally it could be possible the MTU isn't set correctly.

I had a similar problem where I got a "RTNETLINK answers: No such
device" error. After that I tried to use the wg-quick version in the
master branch and that fixed my problem. I hope that helps.

(MTU for IPv6 must be 1280 bytes at least.)

_______________________________________________
WireGuard mailing list
WireGuard@lists.zx2c4.com
https://lists.zx2c4.com/mailman/listinfo/wireguard

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: wg-quick up automation fails
  2019-06-02  6:32 ` XRP
@ 2019-06-02 10:27   ` Silvan Nagl
  2019-06-02 10:38     ` Silvan Nagl
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Silvan Nagl @ 2019-06-02 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XRP; +Cc: WireGuard mailing list

Hi,

as i already mentioned the problem persists on master branch for me.

Greetings,

53c70r

On 6/2/19 8:32 AM, XRP wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 01:49 +0200, Silvan Nagl wrote:
>> G'day,
>>
>> i recently upgrade WireGuard to the latest shipped Debian version
>> (0.0.20190406-1) and noticed my wg-quick created interface did not
>> come
>> up as usual anymore. (Also tried the git master branch) I tried to
>> single command trough wg-quick's automation to reproduce the error;
>>
>> automatic:
>>
>> [#] ip link add Y type wireguard
>> [#] wg setconf Y /dev/fd/63
>> [#] ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
>> [#] ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
>> [#] ip link set mtu XXXX up dev Y
>> [#] resolvconf -a tun.Y -m 0 -x
>> [#] wg set Y fwmark 51820
>> [#] ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
>> RTNETLINK answers: No such device
>> [#] resolvconf -d tun.Y
>> [#] ip link delete dev Y
>>
>> manual:
>>
>>> ip link add Y type wireguard
>>> wg setconf Y <(wg-quick strip /etc/wireguard/Y.conf)
>>> ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
>>> ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
>>> ip link set mtu 1268 up dev Y
>>> resolvconf -a tun.X -m 0 -x
>>> wg set Y fwmark 51820
>>> ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
>> < RTNETLINK answers: No such device
>>
>> (MTU may be to low here so i set it higher again)
>>
>>> ip link set mtu 1420 up dev Y
>>> ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820 (works now)
>> breaks up @ this point because of error handling...
>>
>> Additionally it could be possible the MTU isn't set correctly.
> I had a similar problem where I got a "RTNETLINK answers: No such
> device" error. After that I tried to use the wg-quick version in the
> master branch and that fixed my problem. I hope that helps.
>
> (MTU for IPv6 must be 1280 bytes at least.)
>
_______________________________________________
WireGuard mailing list
WireGuard@lists.zx2c4.com
https://lists.zx2c4.com/mailman/listinfo/wireguard

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: wg-quick up automation fails
  2019-06-02 10:27   ` Silvan Nagl
@ 2019-06-02 10:38     ` Silvan Nagl
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Silvan Nagl @ 2019-06-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi again,

i just noticed my default interface has MTU 1348 so when i am connected
to this one and use wg-quick it will break. Disconnecting from it first
and than using wg-quick will set higher MTUs on the WireGuard interface
so it wont break for ipv6.

Greetings,

53c70r

On 6/2/19 12:27 PM, Silvan Nagl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as i already mentioned the problem persists on master branch for me.
>
> Greetings,
>
> 53c70r
>
> On 6/2/19 8:32 AM, XRP wrote:
>> On Sun, 2019-06-02 at 01:49 +0200, Silvan Nagl wrote:
>>> G'day,
>>>
>>> i recently upgrade WireGuard to the latest shipped Debian version
>>> (0.0.20190406-1) and noticed my wg-quick created interface did not
>>> come
>>> up as usual anymore. (Also tried the git master branch) I tried to
>>> single command trough wg-quick's automation to reproduce the error;
>>>
>>> automatic:
>>>
>>> [#] ip link add Y type wireguard
>>> [#] wg setconf Y /dev/fd/63
>>> [#] ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
>>> [#] ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
>>> [#] ip link set mtu XXXX up dev Y
>>> [#] resolvconf -a tun.Y -m 0 -x
>>> [#] wg set Y fwmark 51820
>>> [#] ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
>>> RTNETLINK answers: No such device
>>> [#] resolvconf -d tun.Y
>>> [#] ip link delete dev Y
>>>
>>> manual:
>>>
>>>> ip link add Y type wireguard
>>>> wg setconf Y <(wg-quick strip /etc/wireguard/Y.conf)
>>>> ip address add X.X.X.X/32 dev Y
>>>> ip address add fc00::XXXX/128 dev Y
>>>> ip link set mtu 1268 up dev Y
>>>> resolvconf -a tun.X -m 0 -x
>>>> wg set Y fwmark 51820
>>>> ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820
>>> < RTNETLINK answers: No such device
>>>
>>> (MTU may be to low here so i set it higher again)
>>>
>>>> ip link set mtu 1420 up dev Y
>>>> ip -6 route add ::/0 dev Y table 51820 (works now)
>>> breaks up @ this point because of error handling...
>>>
>>> Additionally it could be possible the MTU isn't set correctly.
>> I had a similar problem where I got a "RTNETLINK answers: No such
>> device" error. After that I tried to use the wg-quick version in the
>> master branch and that fixed my problem. I hope that helps.
>>
>> (MTU for IPv6 must be 1280 bytes at least.)
>>
> _______________________________________________
> WireGuard mailing list
> WireGuard@lists.zx2c4.com
> https://lists.zx2c4.com/mailman/listinfo/wireguard
_______________________________________________
WireGuard mailing list
WireGuard@lists.zx2c4.com
https://lists.zx2c4.com/mailman/listinfo/wireguard

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-06-01 23:49 wg-quick up automation fails Silvan Nagl
2019-06-02  6:32 ` XRP
2019-06-02 10:27   ` Silvan Nagl
2019-06-02 10:38     ` Silvan Nagl

WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/wireguard/0 wireguard/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 wireguard wireguard/ https://lore.kernel.org/wireguard \
		wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com zx2c4-wireguard@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index wireguard


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/com.zx2c4.lists.wireguard


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox