* how to diagnose lengthy ping times through a complex network stack
@ 2018-11-10  4:56 Edward Vielmetti
From: Edward Vielmetti @ 2018-11-10  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I have a network with several machines in it all running Wireguard.

The latest device I've added to this assemblage is a virtual machine
provisioned under OpenStack. It has 4 ThunderX cores (2 Ghz armv8)
subdivided off of 96-core machine. What I notice is slow network
performance through the Wireguard interface - 200 ms round trip VPN ping
times to a machine in the same data center, compared to 1 ms when
I don't go through the VPN, and only 45 ms when I use a different
machine in the same data center to an even slower Raspberry Pi 2 in my
attic.

I don't claim to be an OpenStack expert, and I know there is some
considerable complexity hiding in its network stack that might not
be visible within the VM that I'm running.

I guess the question is, what's the best way to start to make sense of
network performance within Wireguard (and if anyone knows the answer,
also within OpenStack?!).

thanks

Ed

--