To: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Peer names in configuration file possible?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:50:17 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

this is my first post to this list, so hopefully I don't get anything
wrong. Excuse me if so.

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned but I am asking myself how
should I keep track of let's say 1000 Peers in the configuration file of
a WireGuard server when the config file just shows me the public key of
the peers to identify them?

Would it be possible to add something like 'identifier' which might or
might not be unique:

Sample '/etc/wireguard/wg0-server.conf'

[Interface]

[Peer]
identifier=computer01

[Peer]
identifier=computer02

For example the command 'wg show wg0-server dump' could then maybe show
the 'identifier' as column to make things easier?

I am thinking of possibly replacing/migrating a large OpenVPN server
instance to WireGuard and I am currently thinking about the management of
the peers which on OpenVPN I do do with username/password + OTP. Just
the public key in the config is not enough in my opinion, a descriptive
field should be possible.

Also I assume when 'SaveConfig = true' is set in the servers
configuration file any saves to the file currently remove manually added
comments so doing it with comments is not a good option.

Regards

Peter aka PCFreak