workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com>
To: Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com>
Cc: workflows@vger.kernel.org,
	Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>,
	Aveek Basu <basu.aveek@gmail.com>,
	Stephen Boyd <sboyd@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:07:24 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Lukas,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Till Kamppeter and Aveek Basu organize the Google Summer of Code
> student mentoring program in the name of the Linux Foundation. They
> have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> participation in the linuxfoundation wiki:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020
>
> I believe many ideas discussed here on this list, e.g., extensions to
> patchwork, public-inbox, further bots, scripts, etc., are well suited
> to be prototyped or implemented by students in the GSoC program.
>
> If you agree and have some good ideas, please add your ideas to this
> currently still empty draft page:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-kernel-workflows

I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
of my laptop.

From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
a big win IMO, and I can just use email.

Best regards,
Mike

--
Michael Turquette