* clean up and modularize arch dma_mapping interface
@ 2017-06-08 13:25 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-06-08 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: x86, linux-arm-kernel, xen-devel, linux-c6x-dev, linux-hexagon,
	linux-ia64, linux-mips, openrisc, linuxppc-dev, linux-s390,
	linux-sh, sparclinux, linux-xtensa, dmaengine, linux-tegra,
	dri-devel, linux-samsung-soc, iommu, netdev
  Cc: linux-kernel

Hi all,

for a while we have a generic implementation of the dma mapping routines
that call into per-arch or per-device operations.  But right now there
still are various bits in the interfaces where don't clearly operate
on these ops.  This series tries to clean up a lot of those (but not all
yet, but the series is big enough).  It gets rid of the DMA_ERROR_CODE
way of signaling failures of the mapping routines from the
implementations to the generic code (and cleans up various drivers that
were incorrectly using it), and gets rid of the ->set_dma_mask routine
in favor of relying on the ->dma_capable method that can be used in
the same way, but which requires less code duplication.

Btw, we don't seem to have a tree every-growing amount of common dma
mapping code, and given that I have a fair amount of all over the tree
work in that area in my plate I'd like to start one.  Any good reason
to that?  Anyone willing to volunteer as co maintainer?

The whole series is also available in git:

    git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/misc.git dma-map

Gitweb:

    http://git.infradead.org/users/hch/misc.git/shortlog/refs/heads/dma-map

* Re: clean up and modularize arch dma_mapping interface
       [not found] ` <20170620091902.2dldmf43vhazq6yh@phenom.ffwll.local>
@ 2017-06-20 13:17   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-06-20 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, x86, linux-arm-kernel, xen-devel,
	linux-c6x-dev, linux-hexagon, linux-ia64, linux-mips, openrisc,
	linuxppc-dev, linux-s390, linux-sh, sparclinux, linux-xtensa,
	dmaengine, linux-tegra, dri-devel, linux-samsung-soc, iommu,
	netdev, linux-kernel

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:19:02AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> Ack for the 2 drm patches, but I can also pick them up through drm-misc if
> you prefer that (but then it'll be 4.14).

Nah, I'll plan to set up a dma-mapping tree so that we'll have common
place for dma-mapping work.

* Re: clean up and modularize arch dma_mapping interface
       [not found] <20170608132609.32662-1-hch@lst.de>
@ 2017-06-20  9:19 ` Daniel Vetter
       [not found] ` <20170620091902.2dldmf43vhazq6yh@phenom.ffwll.local>
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2017-06-20  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: linux-mips, linux-samsung-soc, linux-ia64, linux-c6x-dev,
	linux-s390, linux-sh, linux-hexagon, linux-xtensa, x86,
	linux-tegra, linux-kernel, dri-devel, dmaengine, iommu, openrisc,
	netdev, sparclinux, xen-devel, linuxppc-dev, linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 03:25:25PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> for a while we have a generic implementation of the dma mapping routines
> that call into per-arch or per-device operations.  But right now there
> still are various bits in the interfaces where don't clearly operate
> on these ops.  This series tries to clean up a lot of those (but not all
> yet, but the series is big enough).  It gets rid of the DMA_ERROR_CODE
> way of signaling failures of the mapping routines from the
> implementations to the generic code (and cleans up various drivers that
> were incorrectly using it), and gets rid of the ->set_dma_mask routine
> in favor of relying on the ->dma_capable method that can be used in
> the same way, but which requires less code duplication.
>
> Btw, we don't seem to have a tree every-growing amount of common dma
> mapping code, and given that I have a fair amount of all over the tree
> work in that area in my plate I'd like to start one.  Any good reason
> to that?  Anyone willing to volunteer as co maintainer?
>
> The whole series is also available in git:
>
>     git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/misc.git dma-map

Ack for the 2 drm patches, but I can also pick them up through drm-misc if
you prefer that (but then it'll be 4.14).
-Daniel

> Gitweb:
>
>     http://git.infradead.org/users/hch/misc.git/shortlog/refs/heads/dma-map

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch

@ 2017-06-08 14:21 ` David Miller
       [not found] ` <20170620091902.2dldmf43vhazq6yh@phenom.ffwll.local>
From: David Miller @ 2017-06-08 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hch
  Cc: linux-mips, linux-samsung-soc, linux-ia64, linux-c6x-dev,

From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Date: Thu,  8 Jun 2017 15:25:25 +0200

> for a while we have a generic implementation of the dma mapping routines
> that call into per-arch or per-device operations.  But right now there
> still are various bits in the interfaces where don't clearly operate
> on these ops.  This series tries to clean up a lot of those (but not all
> yet, but the series is big enough).  It gets rid of the DMA_ERROR_CODE
> way of signaling failures of the mapping routines from the
> implementations to the generic code (and cleans up various drivers that
> were incorrectly using it), and gets rid of the ->set_dma_mask routine
> in favor of relying on the ->dma_capable method that can be used in
> the same way, but which requires less code duplication.

There is unlikely to be conflicts for the sparc and net changes, so I
will simply ACK them.

Thanks Christoph.