From: AL13N <alien@rmail.be>
To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>
Cc: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com>, "Durrant, Paul" <pdurrant@amazon.com>
Subject: Re: pci passthrough issue introduced between 4.14.1 and 4.15.0
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 10:37:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Juergen Gross schreef op 2021-06-04 09:10:
> On 04.06.21 08:56, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> So, what's the plan to fix this? is the plan to fix the toolstack? or
>>> put your patch in kernel to kinda workaround it?
>>
>> The patch has already been put in the kernel, as said. It would be
>> good
>> to know whether it actually has helped your case as well.
>>
>>> Is there a way to make a regression test or unit test or something?
>>
>> Would be nice, but may be a little difficult to arrange for in, say,
>> osstest.
>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea on what patch would cause the regression?
>>
>> Not me, but I'm also not a tool stack maintainer (nor expert in any
>> way).
>
> There has been a large series by Paul Durrant [1] making heavy
> modifications in this area.
>
> Juergen
>
> [1]:
> https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2020-11/msg01680.html

Hmm after a quick look-through, nothing stands out to me; except maybe
if the pci list gets freed after the first add, it would prevent the
adding of the other pci devices.

Could anyone explain/point me to the place where the toolstack adds pci
devices from the xl create vs xl pci-add?

I'm circling back to the logs of xl create having 3 log entries "Adding
new pci device to xenstore", but only one "Creating pci backend". While
that is normal of course, it does give out 2 possibilities i can see for
only having 1 device:

I'm looking at this function:
https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=tools/libs/light/libxl_pci.c;h=1a1c2630803b5b3b4e07f093b688e0fd5780e745;hb=e25aa9939ae0cd8317605be3d5c5611b76bc4ab4#l134
.

possibility 1:
xs transaction at line 209 does not get called, which i presume would
add the device to xs.

possibility 2:
xs transaction does get called, but by that time, the other end already
has finished and thus does not look at the other devices in xs?

since xl pci-list actually does show all 3, and i see no errors, i would
presume that for possibility 1, it can only really be line 201, but
since this is a xl create, i'm assuming "starting" is true in this case,
which means no lock and that line does not get called? (there is this
weird thing where a transaction is committed and then aborted though?).
so i guess possibility 1 is no go?

but possibility 2 would mean that unless there's another layer, the
pcifront on the domU side would be faster than this function being
called 3 times... which seems odd (unless this all gets done before domU
is even started, which does not seem likely)

Of course this is all an amateur pov, i have no expertise with any of
the xen code at all...

Well, I hope someone can take a look at this and/or help me out, please.

Maarten