* [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 11:14 Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-08-02 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, committers; +Cc: Viktor Mitin

Hi all,

In preparation of migrating docs to sphinx-docs, I first wanted to clean up https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches. Before I do some work on it, I wanted to outline my thoughts on the content

> 1 How To Generate and Submit Patches to the Xen Project

> 1.1 Generating a patch
This section seems to be fairly generic and maybe should live elsewhere and maybe should just be referred to from here

However, I think we need to explain the anatomy of a patch and patch series here. Maybe re-name this to Anatomy of a Patch and Patch Series
It should mention at least cover letters and probably also cover threading of patch series (and why it is important)
References to Hg should be deleted

> 1.2 Signing off a patch
> 1.3 Making good patches
> 1.3.1 Break down your patches
> 1.3.2 Write a good description for each patch
> 1.3.3 Cc the maintainer of the code you are modifying
> 1.4 Providing a git branch

This entire section needs to be re-structures and organised alongside patches and patch series
- What’s in a patch: aka 1.2., 1.3.2, 1.3.3 relate to individual patches
- What’s in a series: e.g. cover letter and what is expected – section 1.3.1 would naturally also fit into there and so would 1.4.

> 1.5 Sending the patches to the list
> 1.5.1 Setting up git send-email
This should be kept

> 1.5.2 Using git send-email alone
This should be removed from the document. I don’t mind moving it into a separate page (which can be referenced from the next section)

> 1.5.3 Simplest workflow: Git format-patch, add_maintainers.pl/get_maintainer.pl and git send-email
This should be the main workflow and probably option 2 should be removed

> 1.5.4 Sending Patches Manually
This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this

> 1.6 Review, Rinse & Repeat

> 1.7 What If
This should be moved into the new section (see above) on patch series

> 1.8 How to know when a patch has been committed
Should probably point to our patchwork, patchew, … instances also

> 1.9 After your patch is committed

> 2 How to Generate and Submit a Patch to Qemu-Xen
> 3 How to Generate, and Submit a Xen Project Patch to the Linux Tree
> 4 How to Generate and Submit a Xen related patch to FreeBSD
> 5 How to Generate, and Submit a Xen Project Patch to MiniOS and Unikraft

These can stay as they are

Regards
Lars

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 12:52 ` Jan Beulich
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-08-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 02.08.2019 13:14, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> 1.5.4 Sending Patches Manually
> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this

Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
requirement.

Jan

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 13:02   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2019-08-02 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

Hi Jan,

On 02/08/2019 13:52, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 02.08.2019 13:14, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>> 1.5.4 Sending Patches Manually
>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
>
> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
> requirement.
Well, someone using this is likely to mess it up. So I agree with Lars and this
should at least disagree and discourage to use it.

If they still plan to use it then they are on their own.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 13:02   ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2019-08-02 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 8/2/19 1:52 PM, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 02.08.2019 13:14, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>> 1.5.4 Sending Patches Manually
>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
>
> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
> requirement.

Because having mails in a standardized format that tools can read has
lots of benefits.

Because using git to send emails (or at least generate emails) is
always* faster, easier, and better, both for the sender and the receiver.

 -George

* I try not to say things like "always", but really, I cannot conceive
of a justification for ever manually creating patch emails.

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 13:02   ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2019-08-02 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 02/08/2019 13:52, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 02.08.2019 13:14, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>> 1.5.4 Sending Patches Manually
>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
> requirement.

Deleting this section doesn't preclude people from sending patches manually.

But the text itself is borderline useless, and doesn't belong in what is
supposed to be a guide for newcommers.

~Andrew

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 13:03     ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2019-08-02 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 02/08/2019 14:02, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi Jan,

>>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
>>
>> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
>> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
>> requirement.
> Well, someone using this is likely to mess it up. So I agree with Lars and this
> should at least disagree and discourage to use it.

s/disagree/be removed/

--
Julien Grall

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-02 13:36       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-08-02 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 02/08/2019, 14:03, "Julien Grall" <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:

    On 02/08/2019 14:02, Julien Grall wrote:
    > Hi Jan,

    >>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
    >>
    >> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
    >> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
    >> requirement.
    > Well, someone using this is likely to mess it up. So I agree with Lars and this
    > should at least disagree and discourage to use it.

    s/disagree/be removed/

OK. That seems to be agreed. The intention of removing it is to encourage newcomers to use the tools we have and which we know work.

Any other general feedback on how I am planning to approach this?

In essence, we will end up with
* What's in a patch series/patch  - terminology and our expectations
   - Possibly with a link to some best practices and tools for planning for multiple versions (but should not be part of the doc itself)
   - Longer term it would be nice to get to something like: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/development-process.html - TBH I don't like the doc otself very much, but it has some good topics in it which we should cover
* The tooling mechanics for a single patch: set-up and steps using get_maintainers.pl
* Follow-up: multiple versions, checking when stuff has gone in, ...
* Specifics for QEMU, ...

@ 2019-08-05 17:49         ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-08-05 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 02/08/2019, 14:36, "Lars Kurth" <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:

    On 02/08/2019, 14:03, "Julien Grall" <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:

        On 02/08/2019 14:02, Julien Grall wrote:
        > Hi Jan,

        >>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
        >>
        >> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
        >> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
        >> requirement.
        > Well, someone using this is likely to mess it up. So I agree with Lars and this
        > should at least disagree and discourage to use it.

        s/disagree/be removed/

    OK. That seems to be agreed. The intention of removing it is to encourage newcomers to use the tools we have and which we know work.

    Any other general feedback on how I am planning to approach this?

    In essence, we will end up with
    * What's in a patch series/patch  - terminology and our expectations
       - Possibly with a link to some best practices and tools for planning for multiple versions (but should not be part of the doc itself)
       - Longer term it would be nice to get to something like: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/development-process.html - TBH I don't like the doc otself very much, but it has some good topics in it which we should cover
    * The tooling mechanics for a single patch: set-up and steps using get_maintainers.pl
    * Follow-up: multiple versions, checking when stuff has gone in, ...
    * Specifics for QEMU, ...

Hi all, I put together a draft in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jMsS_t4zoFSsIwZjImwIAxVCpbNohQbgu8X1S4QEIq8/edit?usp=sharing (also attached as PDF) which shows the changes to the original wiki page at https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches

There are some problems in the "Break down your patches appropriately" section and maintainer input/guidance would be good. I also added some notes on what should be in a cover letter, but again this is just a starting point and again maintainer input/guidance would be good.

The Google docs URL allows commenting.  If you comment, please log in with an ID and/or state a name, such that I can follow up in case of questions.

I will wait until next week before encoding this on the wiki and as a second step, I will submit patches to the sphinx docs.

@ 2019-08-07 18:03           ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-08-07 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, Viktor Mitin

On 05/08/2019, 18:49, "Lars Kurth" <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:

    On 02/08/2019, 14:36, "Lars Kurth" <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:

        On 02/08/2019, 14:03, "Julien Grall" <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:

            On 02/08/2019 14:02, Julien Grall wrote:
            > Hi Jan,

            >>> This should be removed or state NOT TO DO this
            >>
            >> Please don't. I'm not meaning to start using git for patch submission
            >> any time soon (if ever), and I don't see why this should be a
            >> requirement.
            > Well, someone using this is likely to mess it up. So I agree with Lars and this
            > should at least disagree and discourage to use it.

            s/disagree/be removed/

        OK. That seems to be agreed. The intention of removing it is to encourage newcomers to use the tools we have and which we know work.

        Any other general feedback on how I am planning to approach this?

        In essence, we will end up with
        * What's in a patch series/patch  - terminology and our expectations
           - Possibly with a link to some best practices and tools for planning for multiple versions (but should not be part of the doc itself)
           - Longer term it would be nice to get to something like: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/development-process.html - TBH I don't like the doc otself very much, but it has some good topics in it which we should cover
        * The tooling mechanics for a single patch: set-up and steps using get_maintainers.pl
        * Follow-up: multiple versions, checking when stuff has gone in, ...
        * Specifics for QEMU, ...

    Hi all, I put together a draft in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jMsS_t4zoFSsIwZjImwIAxVCpbNohQbgu8X1S4QEIq8/edit?usp=sharing (also attached as PDF) which shows the changes to the original wiki page at https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches

    There are some problems in the "Break down your patches appropriately" section and maintainer input/guidance would be good. I also added some notes on what should be in a cover letter, but again this is just a starting point and again maintainer input/guidance would be good.

    The Google docs URL allows commenting.  If you comment, please log in with an ID and/or state a name, such that I can follow up in case of questions.

    I will wait until next week before encoding this on the wiki and as a second step, I will submit patches to the sphinx docs.

    Regards
    Lars

Hi all,

I gave this a major re-work based on your feedback

The output can be found at https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches and https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Managing_Xen_Patches_with_Git

The only areas which I think need improvements are
* Maybe a good example of a cover letter  - suggestions welcome
* A section under Code review around when you know you are getting close to the end: aka tracking ACKs
* How to know when a patch has been committed - should refer to patchwork, patchew, ...

Feedback or edits are welcome

Best Regards

@ 2019-08-07 18:40             ` Viktor Mitin
From: Viktor Mitin @ 2019-08-07 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, committers, Jan Beulich

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 9:04 PM Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>     I will wait until next week before encoding this on the wiki and as a second step, I will submit patches to the sphinx docs.
>
>     Regards
>     Lars
>
> Hi all,
>
> I gave this a major re-work based on your feedback
>
> The output can be found at https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches and https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Managing_Xen_Patches_with_Git
>
> The only areas which I think need improvements are
> * Maybe a good example of a cover letter  - suggestions welcome
> * A section under Code review around when you know you are getting close to the end: aka tracking ACKs
> * How to know when a patch has been committed - should refer to patchwork, patchew, ...

Hi Lars,

Thank you very much for the document work you are doing.

It is probably worst adding one more note or section describing an
automatic testing mechanism details and how to use it, and/or
mentioning that the patches could be tested with Qemu (additionally to
hw) manually as well. Not sure if it should be added to this document
or another one. On the one hand, the testing relates to patches
submission (mean patches should be tested before submission anyway),
but on the other hand, testing details are not about the patches
submission process. In any case, we do not have any explicit
documentation about patches testing for now. Is it correct?

Thank you again for improving Xen documentation.

Thanks

* Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Re-working the patch submission guide
@ 2019-08-08  6:45               ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-08-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viktor Mitin; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, committers, Jan Beulich

On 07/08/2019, 19:40, "Viktor Mitin" <viktor.mitin.19@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > The only areas which I think need improvements are
    > * Maybe a good example of a cover letter  - suggestions welcome
    > * A section under Code review around when you know you are getting close to the end: aka tracking ACKs
    > * How to know when a patch has been committed - should refer to patchwork, patchew, ...
    >
    > Feedback or edits are welcome
    >
    > Best Regards
    > Lars

    Hi Lars,

    Thank you very much for the document work you are doing.

    It is probably worst adding one more note or section describing an
    automatic testing mechanism details and how to use it, and/or
    mentioning that the patches could be tested with Qemu (additionally to
    hw) manually as well. Not sure if it should be added to this document

It should be added to another one  and referred to from here

    On the one hand, the testing relates to patches
    submission (mean patches should be tested before submission anyway),
    but on the other hand, testing details are not about the patches
    submission process. In any case, we do not have any explicit
    documentation about patches testing for now. Is it correct?

No, not really.
OSSTEST can be run locally but is hard to do
XTF would be a good option, but does not work on Arm

    Thank you again for improving Xen documentation.

You are welcome

@ 2019-08-08  7:07                 ` Viktor Mitin
From: Viktor Mitin @ 2019-08-08  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, committers, Jan Beulich

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:45 AM Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:

>     On the one hand, the testing relates to patches
>     submission (mean patches should be tested before submission anyway),
>     but on the other hand, testing details are not about the patches
>     submission process. In any case, we do not have any explicit
>     documentation about patches testing for now. Is it correct?
>
> No, not really.
> OSSTEST can be run locally but is hard to do
> XTF would be a good option, but does not work on Arm

What is XTF?
One more option is to use Qemu for Xen x86 and/or Arm manual/automatic
tests. It is not hard to do, but it is not documented explicitly for
now.

Thanks

@ 2019-08-08  7:38                   ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2019-08-08  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viktor Mitin, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, committers, Jan Beulich

On 08/08/2019 08:07, Viktor Mitin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:45 AM Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>>     On the one hand, the testing relates to patches
>>     submission (mean patches should be tested before submission anyway),
>>     but on the other hand, testing details are not about the patches
>>     submission process. In any case, we do not have any explicit
>>     documentation about patches testing for now. Is it correct?
>>
>> No, not really.
>> OSSTEST can be run locally but is hard to do
>> XTF would be a good option, but does not work on Arm
> What is XTF?

http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/xtf/

~Andrew