* Interested in taking up a project
@ 2015-06-19  7:02 Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-06-19  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

  I am interested in doing the following project for Xen, Introducing
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
PowerClamp-like
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
driver for
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
Xen
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
 (http://
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
wiki.xenproject.org
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
/wiki/
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
Xen
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
_Development_
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
Projects#Introducing
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
_
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
PowerClamp-like
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
_driver_for_
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>
Xen
<http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects#Introducing_PowerClamp-like_driver_for_Xen>),
if it is still open.

About me: I'm pursuing my undergraduate studies in Mathematics and
Computing, from IIT BHU. I'm from India.

Please let me know if it is possible for me to take this project.

Thanks,

Abhinav

* Re: Interested in taking up a project
@ 2015-06-19  9:11 ` Wei Liu
       [not found]   ` <CALc02L7+MtwBOg4iFn2uri0MGKu_XSrdxA-LyzQ-59LuEsJ-RQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-06-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel, wei.liu2

You should CC the respective technical contact George Dunlap. I've done
this for you now.

@ 2015-06-19 10:56     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-06-19 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

Please use "reply to all" and don't top-post. I added xen-devel@ back to
CC list.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:40:48AM +0000, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Thanks
> I need one more suggestion.. Any specific IDE that can help me in the
> process of development?

I don't use IDE. I don't think most developers here use IDE. Emacs and
vim are popular choices. Use grep and find to locate the code snippet /
files you need.

Wei.

@ 2015-06-21  6:37   ` Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-06-21  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: George Dunlap

Hii,
   I'm still waiting for the confirmation. Have started looking into the
code though.

@ 2015-06-22  8:37     ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-06-22  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

On Sun, 2015-06-21 at 06:37 +0000, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Hii,
>    I'm still waiting for the confirmation. Have started looking into
> the code though.

There's not much to confirm. The page with the list of development
project may require a bit of refreshing, but, as far as I know, that
item is not being worked on by anyone, and it is still something that
could be interesting (it's possible that George has different
information/opinion, but I don't think so).

As this is in Linux since a while, I think it may be worth having a look
at how it's used there these days, what's the interface, if there have
been tools built upon the driver, etc.

It won't be possible to share kernel code (it'll be hypervisor for us),
but, as stated in the description, it would be good to check whether we
can share and/or be compatible at higher layers.

Just some random links:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/thermal/intel_powerclamp.txt
https://01.org/linux-thermal-daemon/documentation/introduction-thermal-daemon
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagement/ThermalIssues
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Interested in taking up a project
@ 2015-06-22  9:45     ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2015-06-22  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta, xen-devel

On 06/21/2015 07:37 AM, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Hii,
>    I'm still waiting for the confirmation. Have started looking into the
> code though.

Hey Abhinav,

Thanks for your interest!  As others have said, it's a free world, so of
course you can work on and attempt to contribute whatever you want. :-)

There's nobody else working on this yet, and it's probably still a good
idea, so in that sense, the project is something that you should feel
free to start working on.

I don't have time at the moment to commit to the level of mentorship I
would if you were a GSoC intern; but as a community, we're generally
pretty good about helping people who try to get involved -- as you've
already found out. :-)

One heads-up: A thing we've started doing in our community, before
submitting a large new feature, is to post a design document describing
the purpose of the new feature, and a technical overview of the changes
that you want to make and why.

This is *not required*; you are free to just submit patches with your
changes, and many people do.  However, it's not uncommon for maintainers
to request significant changes to the architecture or approach on major
features, which require a major re-write.  This can be frustrating both
for you and for us.  Done properly, a design document can make things
easier for all of us.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

 -George

* Re: Interested in taking up a project
@ 2015-06-24  9:56       ` Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-06-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, xen-devel

Thanks for the help and support guys. I'll need some time to get a proper
understanding of how it is incorporated in Linux kernel and what all
interfaces are built on top of it. Once I'm comfortable with that and xen's
credit_scheduler, for starting, I'll come up with a design doc and share
with you all. I'll keep reporting the progress of the work and ask related
doubts in this thread.

Thanks,
Abhinav

@ 2015-07-01 13:11         ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-07-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 09:56 +0000, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Thanks for the help and support guys. I'll need some time to get a
> proper understanding of how it is incorporated in Linux kernel and
> what all interfaces are built on top of it.

Sure! Of course, that was just a suggestion, and we are mostly
interested in having this in Xen, not about how the Linux implementation
works.

Actually, I do believe that, if the thing is popular on Linux, and if
there are user-level (or whatever-level) tools that interact with it, a
common (or at least a compatible and easy to adapt) interface would be a
great plus (for us!), but really, don't go too much deep with that.

What I really meant was that, if it were me doing this, I'd at least
have a look, with the aim of figuring out how actually popular, useful
and used this is in the Linux world. If it's used a lot, then we can see
about being compatible with it. If it's just some forgotten piece of
code inside the kernel, then we can implement our own variant of it,
without caring of Linux's interface and user space tools!

> Once I'm comfortable with that and xen's credit_scheduler, for
> starting, I'll come up with a design doc and share with you all.

Sure, that would be great.

> I'll keep reporting the progress of the work and ask related doubts in
> this thread.

Or, feel free to use this thread for updates, but open new ones for
specific questions or issues.

As soon as you read, understand and follow:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Asking_Developer_Questions

Go ahead and ask whatever you need help and advise with! :-)

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Interested in taking up a project
@ 2015-07-10 20:33           ` Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-07-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

Hi everyone,
  I'm sorry for the late update. Actually I had another  project going on
in parallel, didn't want to distribute efforts. I'm all free now. I'hv gone
through  ACPI and  how linux facilitates services on top of it to allow
easy development of drivers.
I went through the implementation approach of powerclamp, it controls power
consumption by managing C states of the core. This was my learning so far.
Code makes a  little sense to me, I'll need some more time to get hands on
powerclamp's code ( I'hv no experience with linux kernel code). After this
I'll start exploring Xen.

@Dario I'll look into how popular it is in the linux world and if there are
some real popular real space applications built on top of it.  I'll put my
findings here.

Please let me know if I'm in the right direction

@ 2015-07-13  9:45             ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-07-13  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

On Sat, 2015-07-11 at 02:03 +0530, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hey, :-)

>   I'm sorry for the late update. Actually I had another  project going
> on in parallel, didn't want to distribute efforts.

Sure, no problem.

> I went through the implementation approach of powerclamp, it controls
> power consumption by managing C states of the core. This was my
> learning so far. Code makes a  little sense to me, I'll need some more
> time to get hands on powerclamp's code ( I'hv no experience with linux
> kernel code). After this I'll start exploring Xen.

Right. Bear in mind that, with respect to this, Linux and Xen are quite
different. Or at least, that's certainly true for scheduling... for
ACPI, there might be similarities due to the fact that ACPI support in
Xen is inspired to Linux one, but I'm no expert in that, so I don't
really know.

The point I wanted to make was, although some understanding on how
things work in Linux, in order to figure out what PowerClamp really
does, is necessary, start focusing on Xen ASAP, as that is your
target! :-)

> @Dario I'll look into how popular it is in the linux world and if
> there are some real popular real space applications built on top of
> it.  I'll put my findings here.

Ok, that would be great.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario

* Re: Interested in taking up a project
@ 2015-07-25 12:34               ` Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-07-25 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

Hii everyone :) ,
   I'm quite familiar with the linux powerclamp driver now.
I have also started looking into xen's code as Dario suggested, but am not
able to find proper documentation for xen.
These are my doubts:
1. Looking for a brief explanation of different fields in scheduler data
structure in sched-if.h
2. From where do the different fields of scheduler structure gets called.
3. The driver i'll be writing will it be running at host machine level or
guest OS level ?. As far as my understanding goes we should have it at host
level to optimize the performance of all the guests, since VMs deal with
the abstract interface (VCPU) so they wont be having the exact notion of
the various parameters of cpu at runtime.

Please let me know if I'm wrong anywhere.

Thanks,
Abhinav

@ 2015-07-27 14:20                 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2015-07-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)