* [Xen-devel] Xen Hypervisor porting on Raspberry Pi 3B+/4
@ 2019-07-12 14:22 Sushant Bhangale
From: Sushant Bhangale @ 2019-07-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: lars.kurth, julien.grall, sstabellini, Nikhil Wadke, Pranav Paralikar

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2322 bytes --]

Hi,

We are planning to port Xen Hypervisor on Raspberry PI 3B+(A53 Processor) OR Raspberry PI 4 (A72 Processor). For this purpose we find out the below tools,

Tools
Versions
Path
Cross Compiler
gcc-linaro-arm-none-eabi-4.9-2014.09_linux
.
gcc-linaro-7.2.1-2017.11-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu
.
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc
.
Bootloader
U-Boot
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot
Linux Kernel
v3.18-rc15
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions
linux-4.2.tar.xz
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.2.tar.xz
Root Filesystem
BusyBox-1.30.1 or Older
https://busybox.net/
Xen Hypervisor Source code
Xen Hypervisor (v4.12 Stable version)
https://github.com/bkrepo/xen.git
Processor 1
Broadcom BCM5871X (A53)
Raspberry Pi 3B / 3B+
 Processor 2
Broadcom BCM2711 (A72)
Raspberry Pi 4

Request you to let us know whether above selected tools in the table is OK or NOT.

Also, if any document related to porting of Xen hypervisor on Raspberry PI 3B+(A53 Processor) OR Raspberry PI 4 (A72 Processor) is available with you, please share the same.

Looking forward for your response.

Regards,
Sushant Bhangale
Senior Engineer - EDP
L&T TECHNOLOGY SERVICES LIMITED
8th Floor Building No,1,
Thane Belapur Road, Mindspace
Airoli, Navi Mumbai :India 400708

Tel: +91 22  6105 8289 | Mobile: +91 76 2033 0707
www.Ltts.com<http://www.Ltts.com>
[cid:image007.jpg@01D29F47.C0ED3070]<http://www.lnttechservices.com/>

L&T Technology Services Ltd

www.LTTS.com<http://www.LTTS.com>

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s). If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

L&T Technology Services Ltd

www.LTTS.com

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s). If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 18984 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image001.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 8787 bytes --]

* Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Hypervisor porting on Raspberry Pi 3B+/4
@ 2019-07-23  8:54 ` Sushant Bhangale
From: Sushant Bhangale @ 2019-07-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: lars.kurth, sstabellini, xenprojecthelp, julien.grall,
	Nikhil Wadke, Pranav Paralikar

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2688 bytes --]

Hi,

Awaited for your input.

Regards,
Sushant

[...]

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 19977 bytes --]

@ 2019-07-23 17:55   ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2019-07-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sushant Bhangale
  Cc: lars.kurth, sstabellini, xenprojecthelp, julien.grall,
	Nikhil Wadke, xen-devel, Pranav Paralikar

It would be great to have Xen running on RPi, but I have to wonder: is
it now possible to workaround RPi limitations of how GPU boots?
   https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187086#p1206487

I thought that this is completely locked, proprietary bcm2837 code
that Xen can't do much of anything about.

Thanks,
Roman.

@ 2019-07-24 11:07     ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2019-07-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Shaposhnik, Sushant Bhangale
  Cc: lars.kurth, sstabellini, Andre Przywara, xenprojecthelp,

On 23/07/2019 18:55, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> It would be great to have Xen running on RPi, but I have to wonder: is
> it now possible to workaround RPi limitations of how GPU boots?
>     https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187086#p1206487
>
> I thought that this is completely locked, proprietary bcm2837 code
> that Xen can't do much of anything about.

That's not really a problem. People have managed to get other hypervisor running
on RPI. The major issue is going to be the interrupt controller, the RPI3 does
not have a GIC which is a requirement for using Xen.

If you want to get Xen working on RPI3, then you would at least need to provide
driver for the interrupt controller and emulate it for the guests. Alternatively
you could provide a PV interface as x86 use to do. Both cases are going to
require a fair amount of work and very unlikely to be accepted upstream. I would
like to keep Xen small and simple.

Anyway, Rasberry PI foundation just release RPI4 which now contain a GIC. So
this should make easier to get Xen working on the platform.

Andre (in CC) has been working on porting Arm Trusted Firmware to the RPI4 and
manage to get Xen booting up to the stage of bringing-up secondary CPUs (see [1].

I also bought a RPI4 so I will have a go at Xen when I have some spare time.

Cheers,

[1] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2019-07/msg00032.html

--
Julien Grall

* Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Hypervisor porting on Raspberry Pi 3B+/4
@ 2019-07-26  1:31       ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2019-07-26  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: lars.kurth, Andre Przywara, xenprojecthelp, Sushant Bhangale,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 4:07 AM Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 23/07/2019 18:55, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> > It would be great to have Xen running on RPi, but I have to wonder: is
> > it now possible to workaround RPi limitations of how GPU boots?
> >     https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187086#p1206487
> >
> > I thought that this is completely locked, proprietary bcm2837 code
> > that Xen can't do much of anything about.
>
> That's not really a problem. People have managed to get other hypervisor running
> on RPI. The major issue is going to be the interrupt controller, the RPI3 does
> not have a GIC which is a requirement for using Xen.
>
> If you want to get Xen working on RPI3, then you would at least need to provide
> driver for the interrupt controller and emulate it for the guests. Alternatively
> you could provide a PV interface as x86 use to do. Both cases are going to
> require a fair amount of work and very unlikely to be accepted upstream. I would
> like to keep Xen small and simple.
>
> Anyway, Rasberry PI foundation just release RPI4 which now contain a GIC. So
> this should make easier to get Xen working on the platform.
>
> Andre (in CC) has been working on porting Arm Trusted Firmware to the RPI4 and
> manage to get Xen booting up to the stage of bringing-up secondary CPUs (see [1].
>
> I also bought a RPI4 so I will have a go at Xen when I have some spare time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2019-07/msg00032.html

This is very exciting! Thanks for sharing.

Stefano, is this something on your radar?

Thanks,
Roman.