* Question...
@ 2020-05-01  5:59 Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC
From: Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC @ 2020-05-01  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'xen-devel@lists.xen.org'

So, I'm trying to get a Xen Dom0 and DomU, both running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS up on our brand-new Gigabyte ThunderX2 ARM64 box. I can get Ubuntu up and running, but after installing the Xen bits, it dies after the UEFI layer launches GRUB. I haven't been able to get any logfiles because it doesn't get that far. Nothing shows up on the serial port log either - it just hangs.

Has anyone over there been trying to get a similar setup running? Am I out to lunch for trying this, or is there something I'm missing? Any help at all would be appreciated.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to go to FreeBSD and Bhyve because I know someone who has that working. I'd rather use Linux than BSD for this application, there are more drivers supporting this hardaware.

Thanks,
~Sam

[cid:image001.png@01D61F42.F8BC9760]
Phone: +1 206 701-7321 ext. 101
Email: info@glacier-peak.net<mailto:info@glacier-peak.net?subject=Tell%20me%20about%20Evolucid(r)>

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 45509 bytes --]

* Re: Question...
@ 2020-05-01  9:52 ` Bertrand Marquis
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bertrand Marquis @ 2020-05-01  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Samuel,

> On 1 May 2020, at 06:59, Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC <sam.felton@glacier-peak.net> wrote:
>
> So, I’m trying to get a Xen Dom0 and DomU, both running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS up on our brand-new Gigabyte ThunderX2 ARM64 box. I can get Ubuntu up and running, but after installing the Xen bits, it dies after the UEFI layer launches GRUB. I haven’t been able to get any logfiles because it doesn’t get that far. Nothing shows up on the serial port log either – it just hangs.
>
> Has anyone over there been trying to get a similar setup running? Am I out to lunch for trying this, or is there something I’m missing? Any help at all would be appreciated.

I am currently porting Xen on an N1SDP arm board which is also using a EDK2/grub setup and I manage to start xen from grub and then start dom0 providing a DTB.

My grub configuration looks like this:
menuentry 'xen' {
    xen_hypervisor $prefix/xen.efi loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all console=dtuart dtuart=serial0 dom0_mem=1G
    xen_module $prefix/Image console=hvc0 efi=noruntime rw root=/dev/sda1 rootwait
    devicetree $prefix/n1sdp.dtb
}

Could you share your grub configuration ?

Bertrand

> If this doesn’t work, I’m going to have to go to FreeBSD and Bhyve because I know someone who has that working. I’d rather use Linux than BSD for this application, there are more drivers supporting this hardaware.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Sam
>

> <image001.png>
> Phone: +1 206 701-7321 ext. 101
> Email: info@glacier-peak.net

* Re: Question...
@ 2020-05-01  9:57   ` Bertrand Marquis
From: Bertrand Marquis @ 2020-05-01  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: nd

On 1 May 2020, at 10:52, Bertrand Marquis <bertrand.marquis@arm.com<mailto:bertrand.marquis@arm.com>> wrote:

Hi Samuel,

On 1 May 2020, at 06:59, Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC <sam.felton@glacier-peak.net<mailto:sam.felton@glacier-peak.net>> wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I forgot to remove the disclaimer.
Bertrand

* Re: Question...
@ 2020-05-01 11:32   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2020-05-01 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bertrand Marquis, Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi,

On 01/05/2020 10:52, Bertrand Marquis wrote:
> Hi Samuel,
>
>> On 1 May 2020, at 06:59, Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC <sam.felton@glacier-peak.net> wrote:
>>
>> So, I’m trying to get a Xen Dom0 and DomU, both running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS up on our brand-new Gigabyte ThunderX2 ARM64 box. I can get Ubuntu up and running, but after installing the Xen bits, it dies after the UEFI layer launches GRUB. I haven’t been able to get any logfiles because it doesn’t get that far. Nothing shows up on the serial port log either – it just hangs.

IIUC what you wrote, you don't see any prompt from GRUB. Am I correct?

>> Has anyone over there been trying to get a similar setup running? Am I out to lunch for trying this, or is there something I’m missing? Any help at all would be appreciated.
>
> I am currently porting Xen on an N1SDP arm board which is also using a EDK2/grub setup and I manage to start xen from grub and then start dom0 providing a DTB.
>
> My grub configuration looks like this:
> menuentry 'xen' {
>      xen_hypervisor $prefix/xen.efi loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all console=dtuart dtuart=serial0 dom0_mem=1G
>      xen_module $prefix/Image console=hvc0 efi=noruntime rw root=/dev/sda1 rootwait
>      devicetree $prefix/n1sdp.dtb
> }

Depending on your GRUB configuration, this may not work. For older GRUB,
you will want to use chainloading (see [1]).

I haven't used Thunder-X 2 yet, only the previous version. Both version
are shipped with ACPI and is the preferred way to boot. You should be
able to boot Xen using ACPI, but it is not yet in feature parity with DT.

So I would recommend to use DT if Thunder-X 2 provide one. If you still
want to have a try with ACPI, then you will need to build Xen with
CONFIG_ACPI=y.

Additionally, Thunder-X 2 is using GICv3 ITS. You will need to build Xen
with CONFIG_GICV3_ITS=y.

Both options can only be selectable when using the expert mode. In order
to access it you have to add XEN_CONFIG_EXPERT=y on *all* your make
command line.

I hope this helps.

[1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI

--
Julien Grall

* RE: Question...
@ 2020-05-14  0:20   ` Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC
From: Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC @ 2020-05-14  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bertrand Marquis; +Cc: xen-devel

Bonjour, Bertrand,

Thank you for your reply. I am a newbie to Xen but I’ve used Bhyve, Vmware and MSFT Hyper-V before so I am somewhat familiar with how type-1 hypervisors work. Still. 🤔

I've enclosed:

  1.  The script I used to try to set up Dom0. It’s basically the script I found here: https://angryelectron.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-as-xen-dom0-and-domu/, except, slightly modified for AArch64/ARMv8 as close as I was able to determine it.
  2.  The grub.cfg file.

As I said, the serial port STDOUT goes dead so no logs. Please help me understand how to turn on logging so I can figure out what’s going on.

The machine I’m porting to is this one: https://www.gigabyte.com/tw/ARM-Server/R281-T94-rev-100#ov

It has 128G RAM and a total of 5TB of SAS and SSD disk. I’m booting off one of the SSDs.

It runs Ubuntu 20.04 LTS just fine; I even have a UEFI GOP driver for the AMD Radeon R9 GPU I plugged in. All of that works fine with Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Rgds.,
~Sam

“Your best and wisest refuge from all troubles is in your science”
                          - Ada King, countess of Lovelace

> So, I’m trying to get a Xen Dom0 and DomU, both running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS up on our brand-new Gigabyte ThunderX2 ARM64 box. I can get Ubuntu up and running, but after installing the Xen bits, it dies after the UEFI layer launches GRUB. I haven’t been able to get any logfiles because it doesn’t get that far. Nothing shows up on the serial port log either – it just hangs.

> Has anyone over there been trying to get a similar setup running? Am I out to lunch for trying this, or is there something I’m missing? Any help at all would be appreciated.

I am currently porting Xen on an N1SDP arm board which is also using a EDK2/grub setup and I manage to start xen from grub and then start dom0 providing a DTB.

My grub configuration looks like this:

menuentry 'xen' {

    xen_hypervisor $prefix/xen.efi loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all console=dtuart dtuart=serial0 dom0_mem=1G

    xen_module $prefix/Image console=hvc0 efi=noruntime rw root=/dev/sda1 rootwait

    devicetree $prefix/n1sdp.dtb

}

Could you share your grub configuration ?

Bertrand

> If this doesn’t work, I’m going to have to go to FreeBSD and Bhyve because I know someone who has that working. I’d rather use Linux than BSD for this application, there are more drivers supporting this hardaware.

> Thanks,

> ~Sam

> <image001.png>

> Phone: +1 206 701-7321 ext. 101

> Email: info@glacier-peak.net<mailto:info@glacier-peak.net>

[-- Attachment #2: Xen_Ubuntu_Dom0.bsh --]

#!/bin/bash
# Setup and configure Xen DomU
# Run as root/sudo on a fresh Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS install.  Reboot when complete.

# Update
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

# Install Xen hypervisor
apt-get install xen-hypervisor-4.11-arm64
sed -i 's/GRUB_DEFAULT=.*\+/GRUB_DEFAULT="Xen 4.11-arm64"/' /etc/default/grub
sed -i 's/TOOLSTACK=.*\+/TOOLSTACK="xm"/' /etc/default/xen

# Setup bridge network interface
cat >> /etc/network/interfaces << EOL

#Xen Bridge
auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet dhcp
  bridge_ports eth0
EOL

# Limit Dom0 memory to 512M
echo 'GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="dom0_mem=512M"' >> /etc/default/grub
update-grub

#Allow VNC connections from anywhere
sed -i "s/#(vnc-listen.*/(vnc-listen \'0.0.0.0\')/" /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

#Fix keymap issue
ln -s /usr/share/qemu-linaro/ /usr/share/qemu/

* Question
@ 2015-10-20  7:52 TAE HO MOON
From: TAE HO MOON @ 2015-10-20  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

Hi there, it's my first question on Xen-devel email list.
I am glad to join here.

Could anybody guide me to some pointers on interrupt delivery procedure for
PV?
I tried to understand the way Xen delivers the interrupt by using xentrace.
I followed *do_IRQ* function but I am lost.

I want to know how Xen delivers the interrupt to Dom0 and Dom0 to DomU.

Thanks

--
In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

Tae Ho Moon
Master of Engineering
Operating System Laboratory
Department of Convergence Software
Korea University

Cell : +82-10-3645-4189

* question
@ 2009-10-17  5:10 Steven
From: Steven @ 2009-10-17  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

Dear All:
I have a question about exporting some information to VMM. For
example, I would lile to let the VMM have the information of the
number of running processes in one guest domain. I know that this
information can be obtained by the per_CPU runqueue in each guest. But
how to copy this number to xen VMM? Should I use shared memory? Thanks
in advance.

- Steven

* Question
@ 2008-12-31  3:45       ` Venefax
From: Venefax @ 2008-12-31  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'James Harper', xen-devel

Dear Gentlemen
Suppose you need to know the overall load on the host, in terms if CPU,
bandwidth and disk IO, not per domu, but aggregated, and split per domu and
dom0. Xentop does not show aggregated totals, and also it does not show
percentages relative to available resources, so for management is kind of
useless. The only tool that shows (somehow) that information is graphic, the
libvirt virtual machine manager, but is there a text mode tool to manage a
node?
Federico