* xsa213 and live patching
@ 2017-06-09  7:22 Sarah Newman
From: Sarah Newman @ 2017-06-09  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Has anyone tried to generate a live patch for xsa213 against 4.8? When I try to do so I get errors for common/compat/compat/multicall.o and
xen/common/multicall.o stating that 'changed section .discard not selected for inclusion'.

I think, but could be mistaken, that the .discard section is not material and should be ignored by create-diff-object. Is this true and if so what is
the right way of implementing this?

Please keep me CC'ed as I am not currently subscribed.

Thanks, Sarah

* Re: xsa213 and live patching
@ 2017-06-09 16:18 ` Ross Lagerwall
From: Ross Lagerwall @ 2017-06-09 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarah Newman; +Cc: xen-devel

On 06/09/2017 08:22 AM, Sarah Newman wrote:
> Has anyone tried to generate a live patch for xsa213 against 4.8? When I try to do so I get errors for common/compat/compat/multicall.o and
> xen/common/multicall.o stating that 'changed section .discard not selected for inclusion'.
>
> I think, but could be mistaken, that the .discard section is not material and should be ignored by create-diff-object. Is this true and if so what is
> the right way of implementing this?
>
> Please keep me CC'ed as I am not currently subscribed.

Hi Sarah,

You are correct that the .discard section is not needed. I had
previously fixed this but hadn't yet sent out that patch. I've now sent
this fix along with another to xen-devel.

Ross Lagerwall