meta-freescale.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* linux-imx-headers and ioctl mismatches
@ 2020-04-10 10:12 Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2020-04-10 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

The linux-imx-headers recipe gathers certain headers from the kernel
source so that other recipes which do access these headers don't have to
mark the entire kernel as a dependency.

However, if a platform doesn't actually use linux-imx as its kernel, or
at least uses a kernel release version that differs from that of
linux-imx, ioctl mismatches can occur.

Current example: linux-imx is at version 4.19 , while linux-boundary is
at 4.14. The DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS ioctl is defined in the uapi/dma-buf.h
header in 4.14 as:

   #define DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS      _IOW(DMA_BUF_BASE, 1, struct
dma_buf_phys)

but in 4.19 as:

   #define DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS      _IOW(DMA_BUF_BASE, 10, struct
dma_buf_phys)

This leads to Boundary Devices platforms that can't handle this ioctl
properly because of the definition mismatch.

Just mentioning this here to discuss ideas. Perhaps it would make sense
to create a virtual/imx-headers package, or place the git repo URL as a
configurable variable?

* Re: [meta-freescale] linux-imx-headers and ioctl mismatches
@ 2020-04-10 14:12 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-10 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani, Gary Bisson; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 7:19 AM Carlos Rafael Giani <crg7475@mailbox.org> wrote:
> Just mentioning this here to discuss ideas. Perhaps it would make sense
> to create a virtual/imx-headers package, or place the git repo URL as a
> configurable variable?

This is not an easy problem. The issue is kinda similar of Linux ABI
and we can't use two different versions on same binary feed so we'd
need to mark it all as MACHINE_ARCH.

The easiest solution I can think of is do a backport of this change to
linux-boundary or they bump their kernel version.

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

* Re: [meta-freescale] linux-imx-headers and ioctl mismatches
@ 2020-04-10 14:20   ` Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2020-04-10 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador, Gary Bisson; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hm I thought there was some sort of imx-kernel base class. Apparently
there isn't. If there were, it could then be merged with the
linux-imx-headers recipe, and perhaps create something like a -dev package.

But then again, a -dev package from a kernel recipe ...? Kind of weird.

@ 2020-04-10 14:22     ` Otavio Salvador
       [not found]       ` <20200410144623.GA190348@p1g2>
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani; +Cc: Gary Bisson, meta-freescale

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM Carlos Rafael Giani
<crg7475@mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hm I thought there was some sort of imx-kernel base class. Apparently
> there isn't. If there were, it could then be merged with the
> linux-imx-headers recipe, and perhaps create something like a -dev package.
>
> But then again, a -dev package from a kernel recipe ...? Kind of weird.

The problem is that you cannot mix packages / apps with different
versions of this. This ends being part of the binary ABI.

@ 2020-04-10 17:52         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-10 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Bisson; +Cc: Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale, Chris Dimich

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM Gary Bisson
<gary.bisson@boundarydevices.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:22:45AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM Carlos Rafael Giani
> > <crg7475@mailbox.org> wrote:
> > > Hm I thought there was some sort of imx-kernel base class. Apparently
> > > there isn't. If there were, it could then be merged with the
> > > linux-imx-headers recipe, and perhaps create something like a -dev package.
> > >
> > > But then again, a -dev package from a kernel recipe ...? Kind of weird.
> >
> > The problem is that you cannot mix packages / apps with different
> > versions of this. This ends being part of the binary ABI.
>
> I understand it's a tricky topic as some packages won't build if the
> kernel headers are not aligned. But I'm not sure it is better to have
> packages building but having runtime issues because of mismatch...
>
> Since our kernel is also used on other OSes we will not update its
> headers. It also feels wrong to do so.

Add a patch to the layer for it.

> Otavio, do you expect all the vendors to have their kernel matching
> exactly the linux-imx-headers version?
> Because looking at meta-freescale-3rdparty master branch [1], some
> kernels are still based on 3.14...

and it is vendors consideration for their users. If they don't care,
who should care? We are starting removing broken boards and vendors
should pay attention to users.

There are two routes here:

- use mainline BSP
- use NXP BSP

for NXP BSP it comes with the need to keep upgrading it.

> I personnaly think that the headers should be installed from the kernel
> being built, then it's up to the vendor to check the compatibility but
> at least that would fix the issue Carlos is seeing.

This does not help; those headers should not exists in first case but
as we do, a common base need to be used for all distro. Their symbols
goes to other libraries and apps so it cannot change between machines.

> FYI, our next kernel release will be 5.4.3_1.0.0 as it is out since last
> week. So if master stays with 4.19 we'll still have a mismatch I guess.

Will be going to 5.4 soon and people can help, patches welcome.

@ 2020-04-10 18:25           ` Kevin Lannen
From: Kevin Lannen @ 2020-04-10 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: otavio.salvador, Gary Bisson
  Cc: Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale, Chris Dimich

Hi Otavio,

I would be happy to help out some with moving linux-imx to the 5.4 kernel as we are very interested in using it. Is this planned to be in for the Dunfell branch when that is released?

Regards,

Kevin Lannen

Embedded Systems Engineer
kevin@luci.com
970-690-8619

@ 2020-04-10 18:35             ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-10 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Lannen
  Cc: Gary Bisson, Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale, Chris Dimich

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 3:25 PM Kevin Lannen <kevin@patroness.com> wrote:
> I would be happy to help out some with moving linux-imx to the 5.4 kernel as we are very interested in using it. Is this planned to be in for the Dunfell branch when that is released?

It all depends how long it takes. Dunfell is an important release and
as such we ought to try to have it using new components.

We need someone to help updating NXP components; I am focusing more on
mainline BSP support since I've been doing this on our free time.

@ 2020-04-10 18:43               ` Kevin Lannen
From: Kevin Lannen @ 2020-04-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador
  Cc: Gary Bisson, Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale, Chris Dimich

>> I would be happy to help out some with moving linux-imx to the 5.4 kernel as we are very interested in using it. Is this planned to be in for the Dunfell branch when that is released?

>It all depends how long it takes. Dunfell is an important release and as such we ought to try to have it using new components.

>We need someone to help updating NXP components; I am focusing more on mainline BSP support since I've been doing this on our free time.

Is there a github issue or a list somewhere tracking what needs to be done for this?

Kevin Lannen

Embedded Systems Engineer
kevin@luci.com
970-690-8619

* Re: [meta-freescale] linux-imx-headers and ioctl mismatches
@ 2020-04-10 18:46                 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Lannen
  Cc: Gary Bisson, Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale, Chris Dimich

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 3:43 PM Kevin Lannen <kevin@patroness.com> wrote:
> >> I would be happy to help out some with moving linux-imx to the 5.4 kernel as we are very interested in using it. Is this planned to be in for the Dunfell branch when that is released?
>
> >It all depends how long it takes. Dunfell is an important release and as such we ought to try to have it using new components.
>
> >We need someone to help updating NXP components; I am focusing more on mainline BSP support since I've been doing this on our free time.
>
> Is there a github issue or a list somewhere tracking what needs to be done for this?

No, even though we can open. Generally we need to update:

- linux-imx
- u-boot-imx
- headers
- gpu drivers
- media codecs
- gst

@ 2020-04-11 10:32       ` Carlos Rafael Giani
From: Carlos Rafael Giani @ 2020-04-11 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

This issue came up when I noticed that the ION and DWL allocators in
libimxdmabuffer failed. (DWL is an API from the Hantro VPU libraries,
and it fails, because internally it itself uses ION.)

This is the relevant code:
https://github.com/Freescale/libimxdmabuffer/blob/master/imxdmabuffer/imxdmabuffer_ion_allocator.c#L428

I am now wondering if I can add some workaround to also support older
kernels that are subject to such a header mismatch. An ugly workaround
would be to manually define the IOCTL, like this:

   #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(4, 19, 0)
   #define CUSTOM_DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS      _IOW(DMA_BUF_BASE, 1, struct
dma_buf_phys)
   #else
   #define CUSTOM_DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS      DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS
   #endif

And then use the CUSTOM_DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS instead of the regular
DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS in the code.

Pro: This would make libimxdmabuffer work with existing setups, and
could even be backported to zeus and warrior.

Con: Defining IOCTLs in userspace like this is usually not a good idea.

Comments?

@ 2020-04-11 21:29         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-11 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Rafael Giani; +Cc: meta-freescale

Carlos,

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 7:32 AM Carlos Rafael Giani <crg7475@mailbox.org> wrote:
> This issue came up when I noticed that the ION and DWL allocators in libimxdmabuffer failed. (DWL is an API from the Hantro VPU libraries, and it fails, because internally it itself uses ION.)
>
> This is the relevant code: https://github.com/Freescale/libimxdmabuffer/blob/master/imxdmabuffer/imxdmabuffer_ion_allocator.c#L428
>
> I am now wondering if I can add some workaround to also support older kernels that are subject to such a header mismatch. An ugly workaround would be to manually define the IOCTL, like this:
>
>   #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(4, 19, 0)
>   #define CUSTOM_DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS      _IOW(DMA_BUF_BASE, 1, struct dma_buf_phys)
>   #else
>   #define CUSTOM_DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS      DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS
>   #endif
>
> And then use the CUSTOM_DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS instead of the regular DMA_BUF_IOCTL_PHYS in the code.

This does not work as the libimxdmabuffer is shared (and it should be)
across multiple machines of same SoC family. Considering that, the
best choice is to apply a patch to old Linux kernels to make it to use
the newer API/ABI with this backport.

@ 2020-04-11 22:04                   ` Andrey Zhizhikin
From: Andrey Zhizhikin @ 2020-04-11 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador
  Cc: Kevin Lannen, Gary Bisson, Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale,
	Chris Dimich

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:46 PM Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> > >It all depends how long it takes. Dunfell is an important release and as such we ought to try to have it using new components.
> >
> > >We need someone to help updating NXP components; I am focusing more on mainline BSP support since I've been doing this on our free time.
> >
> > Is there a github issue or a list somewhere tracking what needs to be done for this?
>
> No, even though we can open. Generally we need to update:
>
> - linux-imx
> - u-boot-imx
> - headers
> - gpu drivers
> - media codecs
> - gst

I'm currently working on this one, primarily for imx8mm and imx8mn
machines. So far, I have the following list I've noted for myself:
- linux-imx (with mfgtool)
- u-boot-imx
- linux-imx-headers
- kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv (gpu drivers)
- kernel-module-qca9377 (wlan drivers)
- imx-atf
- imx-mkimage
- imx-test
- optee-imx (client, os, test)
- media codecs
- gst (base, good, bad, gstreamer and imx-gst)

I'm almost through with it for the Mini, then would cross-check if
everything compiles for Nano. I would send a PR once both validations
are done.

Otavio,
One general question: Do we keep the 4.19.35 in the layer, or I can
simply drop it and introduce the 5.4.3? So far, I did just that and it
seems to be going OK.

> --
> Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
> http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://code.ossystems.com.br
> Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

Andrey.

* Re: [meta-freescale] linux-imx-headers and ioctl mismatches
@ 2020-04-11 23:52                     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-04-11 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Zhizhikin
  Cc: Kevin Lannen, Gary Bisson, Carlos Rafael Giani, meta-freescale,
	Chris Dimich

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 7:05 PM Andrey Zhizhikin <andrey.z@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:46 PM Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> > > Is there a github issue or a list somewhere tracking what needs to be done for this?
> >
> > No, even though we can open. Generally we need to update:
> >
> > - linux-imx
> > - u-boot-imx
> > - headers
> > - gpu drivers
> > - media codecs
> > - gst
>
> I'm currently working on this one, primarily for imx8mm and imx8mn
> machines. So far, I have the following list I've noted for myself:
> - linux-imx (with mfgtool)
> - u-boot-imx
> - linux-imx-headers
> - kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv (gpu drivers)
> - kernel-module-qca9377 (wlan drivers)
> - imx-atf
> - imx-mkimage
> - imx-test
> - optee-imx (client, os, test)
> - media codecs
> - gst (base, good, bad, gstreamer and imx-gst)
>
> I'm almost through with it for the Mini, then would cross-check if
> everything compiles for Nano. I would send a PR once both validations
> are done.
>
> Otavio,
> One general question: Do we keep the 4.19.35 in the layer, or I can
> simply drop it and introduce the 5.4.3? So far, I did just that and it
> seems to be going OK.

Please drop.

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750