toaster.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* My notes on importing commandline builds into toaster
@ 2024-01-12 15:40 Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2024-01-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel, toaster; +Cc: Alexander Kanavin, Martin Jansa, Mohammed Raza

Since we now have toaster back and operational and able to import
commandline builds, and we have a usecase where this might be useful, I
thought I'd try it and see what works/doesn't work.

Alex Kanavin mentioned this build has issues:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/88/builds/3515

I went in and saved the eventlog:

https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/failed-builds-data/20240112030913.json.zst

then I tried to import this into a locally running instance of toaster.
I had to compress/decompress the file as it was large.

Toaster failed locally to import the build with no error given on the
UI. Form the commandline it became clear it was trying to do "mkdir
/home/pokybuild" which clearly isn't my local username. I created the
directory just to move past this.

The build then imported from the commandline. The issues I noticed were
then:

* the build duration was incorrect as it timed the event replay rather
than the original build
* toaster.bbclass wasn't included so the layerconfig is missing
* buildstats info was missing as those weren't present
* log links don't work as I didn't download the logs locally
* the UI doesn't use any of the event timestamp data, just that from
buildstats.
* the cooker log is the replayed cooker log rather than the original
one
* trying to view logs results in tracebacks

Unfortunately toaster doesn't display start/end times of the task and
doesn't let you view the events themselves so it wasn't so useful for
what I wanted to look into. You can get the task ordering if you add
that field to the display (it isn't there by default) which did help a
bit.

I did save the buildstats so I could try a second run with more data:

https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/failed-builds-data/stats.tgz

Since I'm documenting this, I may as well save the logs too:

tar -czf stats2.tgz buildstats log work/*/*/*/temp/

https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/failed-builds-data/stats2.tgz

Sadly even with that data restored to the correct place, it didn't load
into the system correctly for some reason. I realised this may be
because I didn't have the json eventlog in situ so retried again with
that in the original build path but that didn't improve anything.

I also realised toaster does read the packageinfo task data which I
didn't have present so package information wasn't added.

All in all, an interesting learning experience and we've some work to
to do improve the experience here.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [Toaster] My notes on importing commandline builds into toaster
@ 2024-01-12 19:38 ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2024-01-12 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: Alexander Kanavin, Martin Jansa, Mohammed Raza, bitbake-devel, toaster