yocto.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* Yocto Project Status WW01`22
@ 2022-01-04 15:49 sjolley.yp.pm
From: sjolley.yp.pm @ 2022-01-04 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core

Current Dev Position: YP 3.5 M2

Next Deadline: 17th Jan. 2022 YP 3.5 M2 build

Next Team Meetings:

*	Bug Triage meeting Thursday Jan. 6th 7:30 am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09>
https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09)
*	Monthly Project Meeting Tuesday Jan. 4th at 8 am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09>
https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> )
*	Weekly Engineering Sync Tuesday Jan. 11th at 8 am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09>
https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> )
*	Twitch -  See https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester

Key Status/Updates:

*	YP 3.5 M1 and YP 3.1.13 were released.
*	We have two weeks before the 3.5 M2 build.
*	The autobuilder has undergone significant changes. There are some
not unexpected  issues with the new distros now in use there such as python
3.12 deprecations which trigger warnings on Fedora 35. One of the workers
does appear to have what is potentially a hardware issue and not all the
workers have migrated to SSDs yet (about 50% so far) so there will be some
further disruption as this takes place.
*	On modern kernels, we now have the capability within bitbake to
disable networking on a per task basis without extra user privileges. There
is discussion on the mailing list on how we should enable this and whether
it should be on an opt-in or opt-out basis. There is a proof of concept
patchset for the opt-out basis and some good arguments for and against the
opt-in approach.
*	The new year triggered some reproducible build failures in openssl
and webkit due to changing copyright years in the source files, which is a
sign of how detailed our reproducibility tests are.
*	There is a patchset implementing reproducibility for go which is a
welcome improvement and much less invasive than previous approaches.
*	Intermittent issues continue to be at record high levels and help is
very much welcome in trying to resolve them. You can see the list of
failures we're continuing to see by searching for the "AB-INT" tag in
bugzilla:
<https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT>
https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT

Ways to contribute:

*	There are bugs identified as possible for newcomers to the project:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers
*	There are bugs that are currently unassigned for YP 3.5. See:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_3.5_Unassigned_Enha
ncements.2FBugs>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_3.5_Unassigned_Enhan
cements.2FBugs
*	We'd welcome new maintainers for recipes in OE-Core. Please see the
list at:
<http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/mai
ntainers.inc>
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/main
tainers.inc and discuss with the existing maintainer, or ask on the OE-Core
mailing list. We will likely move a chunk of these to "Unassigned" soon to
help facilitate this.

YP 3.5 Milestone Dates:

*	YP 3.5 M1 is released
*	YP 3.5 M2 build date 2022/01/17
*	YP 3.5 M2 Release date 2022/01/28
*	YP 3.5 M3 build date 2022/02/21
*	YP 3.5 M3 Release date 2022/03/04
*	YP 3.5 M4 build date 2022/04/04
*	YP 3.5 M4 Release date 2022/04/29

Upcoming dot releases:

*	YP 3.1.13 is released
*	YP 3.1.14 build date 2022/01/24
*	YP 3.1.14 Release date 2022/02/04
*	YP 3.4.2 build date 2022/02/07
*	YP 3.4.2 Release date 2022/02/18
*	YP 3.3.5 build date 2022/02/14
*	YP 3.3.5 Release date 2022/02/25
*	YP 3.1.15 build date 2022/03/14
*	YP 3.1.15 Release date 2022/03/25
*	YP 3.4.3 build date 2022/03/21
*	YP 3.4.3 Release date 2022/04/01
*	YP 3.3.6 build date 2022/03/28
*	YP 3.3.6 Release date 2022/04/08
*	YP 3.1.16 build date 2022/04/25
*	YP 3.1.16 Release date 2022/05/06

Tracking Metrics:

*	WDD 2653 (last week 2653) (
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
*	OE-Core/Poky Patch Metrics

*	Total patches found: 1227 (last week 1230)
*	Patches in the Pending State: 347 (28%) [last week 348 (28%)]

The Yocto Project's technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley

Yocto Project Program Manager

*    Cell:                (208) 244-4460

* Email:              sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com
<mailto:sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com>