yocto.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* Package feeds between different Yocto releases?
@ 2023-05-23  9:22 Ivan Drobyshevskyi
From: Ivan Drobyshevskyi @ 2023-05-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

Are package feed updates (e.g. deb or rpm) between different yocto
releases (e.g. dunfell and kirkstone) expected to work/supported? I've
tried it briefly and package state differences between the two seem to
be a mess. But still, apt somehow managed to update most of the
packages, but not all.

Thanks,
Ivan

* Re: [yocto] Package feeds between different Yocto releases?
@ 2023-05-23  9:57 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-05-23  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Drobyshevskyi; +Cc: yocto

No, it's neither tested nor expected to work between major yocto
releases. In embedded world the typical way to update a system is to
overwrite the whole partition. Some setups use filesystem snapshot
approach like ostree.

Alex