yocto.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* psplash: white stripes with custom splash image
@ 2023-05-24 10:24 Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-24 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Greetings,

I wanted to customize the boot splash image for an i.MX6 system.

I'm using Kirkstone and created a psplash/psplash_%.bbappend file in a
custom layer:

SPLASH_IMAGES = "file://krtek.png;outsuffix=default"
FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

The "files/krtek.png" file has a 800x480 resolution, which matches my
display's.

However, the screen shows two white stripes at the bottom (see the
attached picture). Actually, the top stripe is added on top of the
original picture, and the bottom one corresponds to the picture being
translated upwards (see the attached original picture).

I'm running a 4.19 Linux kernel. I couldn't reproduce this issue on a
qemux86-64 system (same picture, 5.15 kernel), though the QEMU display
has a greater resolution.

Has anyone seen this before, or would anyone have an idea why this happens?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

[-- Attachment #2: bootscreen.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 752908 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: krtek.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 825668 bytes --]

* Re: [yocto] psplash: white stripes with custom splash image
@ 2023-05-24 16:46 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2023-05-24 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 3:24 AM Michael Opdenacker via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<michael.opdenacker=bootlin.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I wanted to customize the boot splash image for an i.MX6 system.
>
> I'm using Kirkstone and created a psplash/psplash_%.bbappend file in a
> custom layer:
>
> SPLASH_IMAGES = "file://krtek.png;outsuffix=default"
> FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
> The "files/krtek.png" file has a 800x480 resolution, which matches my
> display's.
>
> However, the screen shows two white stripes at the bottom (see the
> attached picture). Actually, the top stripe is added on top of the
> original picture, and the bottom one corresponds to the picture being
> translated upwards (see the attached original picture).
>
> I'm running a 4.19 Linux kernel. I couldn't reproduce this issue on a
> qemux86-64 system (same picture, 5.15 kernel), though the QEMU display
> has a greater resolution.
>
> Has anyone seen this before, or would anyone have an idea why this happens?
> Thanks in advance

It looks like the text box for messages is still painted. try with
both sysvinit and systemd
IIRC I saw something similar with systemd a year or so ago, it might
have been different
thing dont know.

@ 2023-05-24 19:52   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-24 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Khem,

On 24.05.23 at 18:46, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 3:24 AM Michael Opdenacker via
> lists.yoctoproject.org
> <michael.opdenacker=bootlin.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I wanted to customize the boot splash image for an i.MX6 system.
>>
>> I'm using Kirkstone and created a psplash/psplash_%.bbappend file in a
>> custom layer:
>>
>> SPLASH_IMAGES = "file://krtek.png;outsuffix=default"
>> FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>>
>> The "files/krtek.png" file has a 800x480 resolution, which matches my
>> display's.
>>
>> However, the screen shows two white stripes at the bottom (see the
>> attached picture). Actually, the top stripe is added on top of the
>> original picture, and the bottom one corresponds to the picture being
>> translated upwards (see the attached original picture).
>>
>> I'm running a 4.19 Linux kernel. I couldn't reproduce this issue on a
>> qemux86-64 system (same picture, 5.15 kernel), though the QEMU display
>> has a greater resolution.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before, or would anyone have an idea why this happens?
>> Thanks in advance
> It looks like the text box for messages is still painted. try with
> both sysvinit and systemd
> IIRC I saw something similar with systemd a year or so ago, it might
> have been different
> thing dont know.

Thanks for the tip!
I am using systemd indeed. I've just tried with sysvinit, and the issue
is the same. Anyway, I'll check the code for this text box.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Michael.

--

@ 2023-05-25  4:22     ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2023-05-25  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker; +Cc: Khem Raj, yocto

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 12:52 PM Michael Opdenacker via
lists.yoctoproject.org <michael.opdenacker=
bootlin.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Hi Khem,
>
> On 24.05.23 at 18:46, Khem Raj wrote:
> > On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 3:24 AM Michael Opdenacker via
> > lists.yoctoproject.org
> > <michael.opdenacker=bootlin.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I wanted to customize the boot splash image for an i.MX6 system.
> >>
> >> I'm using Kirkstone and created a psplash/psplash_%.bbappend file in a
> >> custom layer:
> >>
> >> SPLASH_IMAGES = "file://krtek.png;outsuffix=default"
> >> FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
> >>
> >> The "files/krtek.png" file has a 800x480 resolution, which matches my
> >> display's.
> >>
> >> However, the screen shows two white stripes at the bottom (see the
> >> attached picture). Actually, the top stripe is added on top of the
> >> original picture, and the bottom one corresponds to the picture being
> >> translated upwards (see the attached original picture).
> >>
> >> I'm running a 4.19 Linux kernel. I couldn't reproduce this issue on a
> >> qemux86-64 system (same picture, 5.15 kernel), though the QEMU display
> >> has a greater resolution.
> >>
> >> Has anyone seen this before, or would anyone have an idea why this
> happens?
> >> Thanks in advance
> > It looks like the text box for messages is still painted. try with
> > both sysvinit and systemd
> > IIRC I saw something similar with systemd a year or so ago, it might
> > have been different
> > thing dont know.
>

> Thanks for the tip!
> I am using systemd indeed. I've just tried with sysvinit, and the issue
> is the same. Anyway, I'll check the code for this text box.

https://git.yoctoproject.org/psplash/tree/configure.ac#n34

I think.

@ 2023-05-25  9:39       ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-25  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Orling; +Cc: Khem Raj, yocto

On 25.05.23 at 06:22, Tim Orling wrote:

>     Thanks for the tip!
>     I am using systemd indeed. I've just tried with sysvinit, and the
>     issue
>     is the same. Anyway, I'll check the code for this text box.
>

> https://git.yoctoproject.org/psplash/tree/configure.ac#n34
>
> I think.

Yesss!

EXTRA_OECONF += "--disable-startup-msg --enable-img-fullscreen"
did the trick:

  * "--disable-startup-msg" to disable the upper white box (I didn't see
    the startup message anyway)
  * "--enable-img-fullscreen" to avoid the upward shift.

Many thanks!
Cheers
Michael.

--

@ 2023-05-25  9:47         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-05-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker; +Cc: Tim Orling, Khem Raj, yocto

Should these be PACKAGECONFIG entries in psplash recipe?

Alex

On Thu, 25 May 2023 at 11:39, Michael Opdenacker via