* Re: Problems attempting to use ad-hoc mode, link state remains dormant
       [not found] <VI1PR01MB516732A2E162CF4C56456C1B88C00@VI1PR01MB5167.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2020-04-08 16:31 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2020-04-08 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hi Diego,

> BTW, could you share what is the status of the wired 802.1x support? Is it something that can be relied upon?

Not sure what to say?  It works on the networks we have access to.  Are
there improvements that can be made? Sure..

The last question I can't really comment on.  This is an open source
project and comes with no warranties.  You'll have to perform your own
due diligence to answer that.

Regards,
-Denis

* RE: Problems attempting to use ad-hoc mode, link state remains dormant
@ 2020-04-08 17:05   ` Diego Santa Cruz
From: Diego Santa Cruz @ 2020-04-08 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hi Denis,

> Hi Diego,
>
> > BTW, could you share what is the status of the wired 802.1x support? Is it
> something that can be relied upon?
>
> Not sure what to say?  It works on the networks we have access to.  Are
> there improvements that can be made? Sure..
>
> The last question I can't really comment on.  This is an open source
> project and comes with no warranties.  You'll have to perform your own
> due diligence to answer that.

Thanks as I could not find much info on the status of the wired 802.1x on iwd or documentation I was not sure that if it was at a "proof of concept" level or if it was working. Given your answer I will go ahead and try it out for integration into our product.

I was not looking for any warranties, just your feeling about the level of development. I will report any problems that I find, with patches if possible :-)

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Diego

--
Diego Santa Cruz, PhD
Technology Architect

* RE: Problems attempting to use ad-hoc mode, link state remains dormant
@ 2020-04-10  0:29   ` Diego Santa Cruz
From: Diego Santa Cruz @ 2020-04-10  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Great! I gave it quick test to the patches and it works.

Many thanks,

Diego

--
Diego Santa Cruz, PhD
Technology Architect

* Re: Problems attempting to use ad-hoc mode, link state remains dormant
       [not found] <VI1PR01MB51672539A45DA230833C35A788C00@VI1PR01MB5167.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2020-04-09 16:31 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2020-04-09 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

@ 2020-04-08 16:46   ` Diego Santa Cruz
From: Diego Santa Cruz @ 2020-04-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hi Denis,
> Hi Diego,
>
> > However, I have another device with an Atheros QCA6174 (ath10k_pci
> driver) and if I put it into ap mode no other station sees it (Windows laptop,
> Linux laptop, iPhone). Do you know if there is anything special to do to use ap
> mode on these devices?
> >

> I'm not aware of any, but admittedly we're not actively focused on AP
> mode at the moment, so it is a 'less developed' area of the iwd codebase.

OK, got it. I actually just tried out using hostapd instead and it works nicely with the above wireless card, I could successfully connect from my iPhone (open, no auth).

@ 2020-04-08 16:25 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2020-04-08 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

@ 2020-04-08 16:25   ` Diego Santa Cruz
From: Diego Santa Cruz @ 2020-04-08 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

> Hi Diego,
>
> > However, "ip link show dev wlan0" shows "NO-CARRIER" on both devices
> > with state DORMANT and mode DORMANT.
> >
> > 5: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500
> qdisc mq
> > state DORMANT mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
> >
> >      link/ether 34:e1:2d:24:03:42 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> >
> > When doing it manually with iw the state was UP and the mode DEFAULT,
> so
> > I manually changed the state with "ip link set wlan0 state up". After
> > that "ip link" no longer shows NO-CARRIER and pings worked. Changing the
> > mode was not necessary.
> >
> > Is there something that I am missing? Or maybe something which is
> > missing in iwd in adhoc mode?
>
> This is indeed a bug in iwd.  We somehow missed sending the required
> linkmode / operstate changes when adhoc is operated in the 'open' mode.
> i.e. a call to l_rtnl_set_linkmode_and_operstate is missing in
> src/adhoc.c adhoc_new_station() around line 415.
>
> The tricky part is that adhoc doesn't initialize its own rtnl object, so
> I need to think about a good fix for this.

Thanks for the information, indeed it looked to me that there was something missing but I could not really figure it out for sure from the code. I do not think I can help out there.

I am looking into ap mode now and I got it to work by putting the either the Intel AC 9260 or Intel 8265 / 8275 (that is putting either in ap mode and connection from the other in station mode work fine).

       [not found] <VI1PR01MB516745587146DE6E49DAD11488C00@VI1PR01MB5167.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2020-04-08 15:40 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2020-04-08 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd