* How dow we educate our users to configure less?
@ 2021-06-08 17:49 Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2021-06-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, git, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, Jeff King

It has been suggested that we "educate our users" to configure less in
the right way, instead of colorizing man pages ourselves [1].

The question is *how*? Nobody has answered that.

This is a continuation of the thread below.

Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Jeff King wrote:

> > Moreover, I think that if they like colorized manpages, they'd probably
> > want them when running "man" themselves.
>
> This doesn't matter.
>
> The user might have "configured" man like this:
>
>   man() {
>       LESS_TERMCAP_md=$'\e[01;31m' \
>       LESS_TERMCAP_me=$'\e[0m' \
>       LESS_TERMCAP_so=$'\e[01;44;33m' \
>       LESS_TERMCAP_se=$'\e[0m' \
>       LESS_TERMCAP_us=$'\e[01;32m' \
>       LESS_TERMCAP_ue=$'\e[0m' \
>       command man "$@"
>   }
>
> Git isn't going utilize that.
>
> Arch Linux recommends the above, and so does many online resources.
>
> So even if it's the case what you said, that they want colorized man
> pages, *and* they have man configured, that doesn't matter.
>
> In addition, not everyone is a Linux guru. Some might want colorized man
> pages, but not know how to get them.
>
> I myself only learned it was possible to configure that about a year ago
> when reading Arch Linux's installation guide. Luckily I clicked "Color
> output in console", even though I thought I already had most console
> software configured.
>
> I have 20 years of experience using Linux. Some people have less.
>
> You presume too much of our users.
>
> And you still haven't explained how they can properly configure
> colorized man pages for both man and git, in a way that works in all
> distributions.
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Color_output_in_console

I am still waiting for an explanation.

How does the user properly colorize man pages for both man and git in a
way that works in all distributions?

Cheers.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/20210523054454.1188757-1-felipe.contreras@gmail.com/

--