* Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-12 16:32 Lars Kurth
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-04-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, Alexey G,
	Roger Pau Monne

Hi all,

I had an action to set up a call on discussing the future direction of PCI Emulation. I CC’ed everyone who raised an interest. I propose to use Gotomeeting unless there are objections.

As far as I can tell, we have people in the following time-zones: PST to EST and BST. Not sure where Alexey is based, but it looks as if

16:00 – 17:00 BST
17:00 – 18:00 BST
18:00 – 19:00 BST
BST = UTC+1

may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those time-slots. Next week is a little busy for me, so I would prefer the following week. If you could fill out the following Google poll, if this week works that would be great. Otherwise please scream.

https://doodle.com/poll/gdnmcrvnibmw563n

If you are not on the CC list and want to be CC’ed on the invite, please add your e-mail address to the google poll (after your name)

Regards
Lars

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-12 16:41 ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2018-04-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, Alexey G, xen-devel

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:32:57PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>    Hi all,
>

>    I had an action to set up a call on discussing the future direction of PCI
>    Emulation. I CC’ed everyone who raised an interest. I propose to use
>    Gotomeeting unless there are objections.
>

>    As far as I can tell, we have people in the following time-zones: PST to
>    EST and BST. Not sure where Alexey is based, but it looks as if
>

>    16:00 – 17:00 BST
>
>    17:00 – 18:00 BST
>
>    18:00 – 19:00 BST
>
>    BST = UTC+1
>

>    may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those time-slots.
>    Next week is a little busy for me, so I would prefer the following week.
>    If you could fill out the following Google poll, if this week works that
>    would be great. Otherwise please scream.

I'm afraid I'm on vacations from the 21st to the 29th of April, so I
won't be able to join the meeting unless we move it to the week after.
Let's see what people think of the current dates.

Roger.

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-12 16:50   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-04-12 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monne
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,

On 12/04/2018, 17:41, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:

    On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:32:57PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

    >    may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those time-slots.
    >    Next week is a little busy for me, so I would prefer the following week.
    >    If you could fill out the following Google poll, if this week works that
    >    would be great. Otherwise please scream.

    I'm afraid I'm on vacations from the 21st to the 29th of April, so I
    won't be able to join the meeting unless we move it to the week after.
    Let's see what people think of the current dates.

    Roger.

Hi, I changed the dates to the week after. Poll so far has been invalidated.

See https://doodle.com/poll/gdnmcrvnibmw563n

@ 2018-04-13  1:01 ` Alexey G
From: Alexey G @ 2018-04-13  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, xen-devel,
	Roger Pau Monne

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 16:32:57 +0000
Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I had an action to set up a call on discussing the future direction of
>PCI Emulation. I CC’ed everyone who raised an interest. I propose to
>use Gotomeeting unless there are objections.
>
>As far as I can tell, we have people in the following time-zones: PST
>to EST and BST. Not sure where Alexey is based, but it looks as if
>
>16:00 – 17:00 BST
>17:00 – 18:00 BST
>18:00 – 19:00 BST
>BST = UTC+1

Ideally, any time before 17:00 UTC would be preferable for my timezone
(UTC+10), but the 18:00 – 19:00 BST option should ok too (although
much less preferable, unticked '18:00–19:00 BST' checkboxes in the poll
to reflect this).

@ 2018-04-13  8:13 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-04-13  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, Alexey Gerasimenko,
	xen-devel, Roger Pau Monne

>>> On 12.04.18 at 18:32, <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
> I had an action to set up a call on discussing the future direction of PCI
> Emulation. I CC’ed everyone who raised an interest. I propose to use
> Gotomeeting unless there are objections.

FTR - I had expressed an interest too; I can't really plan for the next week or
two though at this point, so I'd join if I can whenever the meeting takes place.

Jan

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-13  9:38   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-04-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,

On 13/04/2018, 09:13, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:

    >>> On 12.04.18 at 18:32, <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
    > I had an action to set up a call on discussing the future direction of PCI
    > Emulation. I CC’ed everyone who raised an interest. I propose to use
    > Gotomeeting unless there are objections.

    FTR - I had expressed an interest too; I can't really plan for the next week or
    two though at this point, so I'd join if I can whenever the meeting takes place.

Apologies: I must have missed this. The meeting is currently scheduled the 1st week of May, with May 2nd & 4th 17:00-18:00 BST (UTC+1) looking like the most promising options.
This is outside the 1-2 week window you mention above. Unless I hear otherwise, I am assuming that week is fine.

@ 2018-04-13 10:01     ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2018-04-13 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:50:00PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

> On 12/04/2018, 17:41, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:32:57PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>

>     >    may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those time-slots.
>     >    Next week is a little busy for me, so I would prefer the following week.
>     >    If you could fill out the following Google poll, if this week works that
>     >    would be great. Otherwise please scream.
>
>     I'm afraid I'm on vacations from the 21st to the 29th of April, so I
>     won't be able to join the meeting unless we move it to the week after.
>     Let's see what people think of the current dates.
>
>     Roger.
>
> Hi, I changed the dates to the week after. Poll so far has been invalidated.
>
> See https://doodle.com/poll/gdnmcrvnibmw563n

Thanks! I've already fixed my vote.

I guess this will come later, but we need a clear agenda of items
because the x86 and ARM topics are probably going to be completely
different (albeit all related to PCI).

Roger.

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-13 11:59       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-04-13 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monne
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,

On 13/04/2018, 11:01, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:

    On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:50:00PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

    > On 12/04/2018, 17:41, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:
    >
    >     On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:32:57PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
    >

    >     >    may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those time-slots.
    >     >    Next week is a little busy for me, so I would prefer the following week.
    >     >    If you could fill out the following Google poll, if this week works that
    >     >    would be great. Otherwise please scream.
    >
    >     I'm afraid I'm on vacations from the 21st to the 29th of April, so I
    >     won't be able to join the meeting unless we move it to the week after.
    >     Let's see what people think of the current dates.
    >
    >     Roger.
    >
    > Hi, I changed the dates to the week after. Poll so far has been invalidated.
    >
    > See https://doodle.com/poll/gdnmcrvnibmw563n

    Thanks! I've already fixed my vote.

    I guess this will come later, but we need a clear agenda of items
    because the x86 and ARM topics are probably going to be completely
    different (albeit all related to PCI).

Royger: I am OK with trying to get a draft agenda in place in this e-mail thread. But I can't drive this, as I don’t understand the issues. But I am happy to collate everything as for the x86 call and write up minutes

@ 2018-04-13 17:53         ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2018-04-13 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:59:15PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

> On 13/04/2018, 11:01, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:50:00PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On 12/04/2018, 17:41, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:32:57PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >     >    may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those time-slots.
>     >     >    Next week is a little busy for me, so I would prefer the following week.
>     >     >    If you could fill out the following Google poll, if this week works that
>     >     >    would be great. Otherwise please scream.
>     >
>     >     I'm afraid I'm on vacations from the 21st to the 29th of April, so I
>     >     won't be able to join the meeting unless we move it to the week after.
>     >     Let's see what people think of the current dates.
>     >
>     >     Roger.
>     >
>     > Hi, I changed the dates to the week after. Poll so far has been invalidated.
>     >
>     > See https://doodle.com/poll/gdnmcrvnibmw563n
>
>     Thanks! I've already fixed my vote.
>
>     I guess this will come later, but we need a clear agenda of items
>     because the x86 and ARM topics are probably going to be completely
>     different (albeit all related to PCI).
>
> Royger: I am OK with trying to get a draft agenda in place in this e-mail thread. But I can't drive this, as I don’t understand the issues. But I am happy to collate everything as for the x86 call and write up minutes

On the x86 side:

 - Q35 HVM emulation, adding MCFG support to guests.
 - PVH guest pci-passthrough: using the internal vPCI infrastructure.

At least that I can think of ATM.

Roger.

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-14  5:02           ` Paul Durrant
From: Paul Durrant @ 2018-04-14  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monne, Lars Kurth
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Alexey G, xen-devel

One of the issues here is support for multiple external emulators w.r.t. config space access.

>  - PVH guest pci-passthrough: using the internal vPCI infrastructure.

Let's not distinguish between HVM or PVH here. We want to use the same passthrough mechanisms for both.

Cheers,

  Paul

@ 2018-04-18 17:48             ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2018-04-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Durrant
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Alexey G, xen-devel, Roger Pau Monne

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Paul Durrant wrote:
> [...]

Ideally, we'll use the same mechanism for ARM too.

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-21  4:47       ` Alexey G
From: Alexey G @ 2018-04-21  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monné
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, xen-devel

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 11:01:49 +0100
Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:50:00PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>

>> On 12/04/2018, 17:41, "Roger Pau Monne" <roger.pau@citrix.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 05:32:57PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>

>>     >    may work. For me Mon, Wed and Fri’s generally work at those
>>     > time-slots. Next week is a little busy for me, so I would
>>     > prefer the following week. If you could fill out the following
>>     > Google poll, if this week works that would be great. Otherwise
>>     > please scream.
>>
>>     I'm afraid I'm on vacations from the 21st to the 29th of April,
>> so I won't be able to join the meeting unless we move it to the week
>> after. Let's see what people think of the current dates.
>>
>>     Roger.
>>
>> Hi, I changed the dates to the week after. Poll so far has been
>> invalidated.
>>
>> See https://doodle.com/poll/gdnmcrvnibmw563n
>
>Thanks! I've already fixed my vote.
>
>I guess this will come later, but we need a clear agenda of items
>because the x86 and ARM topics are probably going to be completely
>different (albeit all related to PCI).
>
>Roger.

1. different approaches to handle some critical chipset-specific
   registers (MCH PCIEXBAR first of all), currently emulated by
   QEMU. Role of QEMU in the emulation of MMCONFIG accesses.

2. MMIO hole sizing in general (for HVM) -- in which PT usecases this is
   needed, requirements, limitations. It is related to the emulated
   chipset-specific resources and depends on the chosen solution for #1.

I'll try to describe different possible implementations how to make the
multiple PCI device emulators feature compatible with emulated MMCONFIG
before the meeting, to have a ground for discussion. There are at least
3 possible directions currently to solve this problem.

* Re: Setting up a call to discuss PCI Emulation - Future Direction
@ 2018-04-23  8:26         ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-04-23  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey G, Roger Pau Monne
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith, Christopher Clark,
	Rich Persaud, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, xen-devel

Hi all,
so it seems we have no perfect slot proposals, but 2 semi-perfect.
May 2nd: 16:00 - 17:00 Christopher can't attend
May 2nd: 17:00 - 18:00 Chao can't attend
Maybe a compromise would be 16:30 to 17:30
Regards
Lars

@ 2018-04-23 14:12           ` Chao Gao
From: Chao Gao @ 2018-04-23 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith,
	Christopher Clark, Rich Persaud, Paul Durrant, Alexey G,
	xen-devel, Roger Pau Monne

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 08:26:59AM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
>Hi all,
>so it seems we have no perfect slot proposals, but 2 semi-perfect.
>May 2nd: 16:00 - 17:00 Christopher can't attend
>May 2nd: 17:00 - 18:00 Chao can't attend
>Maybe a compromise would be 16:30 to 17:30

Hi Lars,

Your suggestion is fine with me. 16:00-17:00 is also acceptable to me. I
don't want Christopher can't attend the whole meeting because I am just
interested in this discussion and won't provide useful suggestions
during the discussion.

Thanks
Chao

@ 2018-04-23 14:19             ` Chao Gao
From: Chao Gao @ 2018-04-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:12:22PM +0800, Chao Gao wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 08:26:59AM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>so it seems we have no perfect slot proposals, but 2 semi-perfect.
>>May 2nd: 16:00 - 17:00 Christopher can't attend
>>May 2nd: 17:00 - 18:00 Chao can't attend
>>Maybe a compromise would be 16:30 to 17:30
>
>Hi Lars,
>
>Your suggestion is fine with me. 16:00-17:00 is also acceptable to me. I

I meant 17:00-18:00 here.

Thanks
Chao

@ 2018-04-23 14:59               ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-04-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Gao
  Cc: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, Daniel Smith,
	Christopher Clark, Rich Persaud, Paul Durrant, Alexey G,
	xen-devel, Roger Pau Monne

Alright: 17:00-18:00 it is. I will send out a separate mail with call-in details
Lars