* [U-Boot] Boot count support on P1020
@ 2011-01-26 20:43 Felix Radensky
From: Felix Radensky @ 2011-01-26 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I'd like to enable boot count feature on custom P1020 based board.
If my understanding is correct, the implementation requires some
register or memory location that preserves its value across reboots.

Can Freescale folks on the list please point to such location in P1/P2
SoCs.

Thanks a lot.

Felix.

* [U-Boot] Boot count support on P1020
@ 2011-01-26 21:32 ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2011-01-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Jan 26, 2011, at 2:43 PM, Felix Radensky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to enable boot count feature on custom P1020 based board.
> If my understanding is correct, the implementation requires some
> register or memory location that preserves its value across reboots.
>
> Can Freescale folks on the list please point to such location in P1/P2
> SoCs.
>
> Thanks a lot.

What kinda reset do you expect to occur?  Depending on this the answer might be that we dont have any such registers that persist across reboots.

- k

* [U-Boot] Boot count support on P1020
@ 2011-01-26 22:00   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-01-26 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <C2AA15B2-FD90-45EA-A9B1-8B1E6FA4B143@kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> What kinda reset do you expect to occur?  Depending on this the answer might be that we dont have any such registers that persist across reboots.

external hard reset ?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

* [U-Boot] Boot count support on P1020
@ 2011-01-27  3:29     ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2011-01-27  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Jan 26, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Kumar Gala,
>
> In message <C2AA15B2-FD90-45EA-A9B1-8B1E6FA4B143@kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
>>
>> What kinda reset do you expect to occur?  Depending on this the answer might be that we dont have any such registers that persist across reboots.
>
> external hard reset ?

If so, there isnt any state saved across such a reset in the SoC

- k

* [U-Boot] Boot count support on P1020
@ 2011-01-27  9:30       ` Felix Radensky
From: Felix Radensky @ 2011-01-27  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Kumar,

On 01/27/2011 05:29 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>> Dear Kumar Gala,
>>
>> In message<C2AA15B2-FD90-45EA-A9B1-8B1E6FA4B143@kernel.crashing.org>  you wrote:
>>> What kinda reset do you expect to occur?  Depending on this the answer might be that we dont have any such registers that persist across reboots.
>> external hard reset ?
> If so, there isnt any state saved across such a reset in the SoC
>
> - k

Thanks a lot for a prompt reply. Looks like a have to use board I2C EEPROM
to save state across reboots.

Felix.

* [U-Boot] Boot count support on P1020
@ 2011-01-27 10:52       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-01-27 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <087EF8C3-9D3F-4228-8DB8-C8F8EF61BADF@kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> > external hard reset ?
>
> If so, there isnt any state saved across such a reset in the SoC

Hm, so really all registers are explicitly initialized?  What a pitty.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When some people discover the truth, they just can't  understand  why
everybody isn't eager to hear it.