* Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-21  6:01 gnudevliz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: gnudevliz @ 2016-09-21  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello everyone,

I'm on Debian Jessie and I cannot get mutt to send email. I can receive
emails and view my inbox in Mutt but I can't send messages. I can send them
to myself though. I can't send them to another email address.

When I use mutt to send an email I keep getting this HELO/ELHO error:

SMTP session failed: 501 5.5.4  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=helo
yg10sm21072351pab.8 - gsmtp

That brings me to this page:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6386757?visit_id=1-636100243312716080-1894628512&p=helo&rd=1

I can't figure out how to resolve this issue. My 2 factor is off and I'm
allowing login from unsecure apps. I'm also trying to use ssmtp instead of
esmtp but the same thing happens in mutt.

When i do
$ sudo ssmtp someemail@gmail.com

the email does actually go through though, but it says from root.

If anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate it!
Thanks,
Liz

* Re: Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-21 13:33 ` Namrata A Shettar
From: Namrata A Shettar @ 2016-09-21 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi Liz,

While I haven't faced the same problem as yours, I had some trouble getting
mutt to work properly too. These two links were helpful in solving my
problem. Actually they help you in configuring mutt, so do verify if you
have missed out on any step or need additional settings.

Hope this helps you :)

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/email-clients.txt
https://kernelnewbies.org/Outreachyfirstpatch?action=show&redirect=OPWfirstpatch#kernel-setup-done

(The section on setting up tools)

-namrata

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-21 16:26 ` Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2016-09-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnudevliz; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

Hi Liz,
Similar to Namrata, I don't know answer to specific question, but
I can share my .muttrc and .esmtprc that got it working for me.

And then there were some things I did over in my gmail account settings
probably related to selecting IMAP.

amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .muttrc
set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
set envelope_from=yes
set from="Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com>"
set use_from=yes
set edit_headers=yes
set spoolfile="imaps://amsfield22:mypasswd@imap.gmail.com/"
set folder="imaps://imap.gmail.com/"
set record="=Sent"
set postponed="=Drafts"

amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .esmtprc
identity "amsfield22@gmail.com"
hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
username "amsfield22@gmail.com"
password "mypasswd"
starttls required

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-21 16:48   ` Shivani Bhardwaj
From: Shivani Bhardwaj @ 2016-09-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: gnudevliz, outreachy-kernel

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Liz,
> Similar to Namrata, I don't know answer to specific question, but
> I can share my .muttrc and .esmtprc that got it working for me.
>
> And then there were some things I did over in my gmail account settings
> probably related to selecting IMAP.
>
> amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .muttrc
> set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
> set envelope_from=yes
> set from="Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com>"
> set use_from=yes
> set edit_headers=yes
> set spoolfile="imaps://amsfield22:mypasswd@imap.gmail.com/"
> set folder="imaps://imap.gmail.com/"
> set record="=Sent"
> set postponed="=Drafts"
>
> amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .esmtprc
> identity "amsfield22@gmail.com"
> hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
> username "amsfield22@gmail.com"
> password "mypasswd"
> starttls required

Hello,

Just in case you don't know the exact settings to be done in your
gmail, you can check my blog post here:
https://unixia.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/setting-up-mutt/

Shivani

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-21 16:52     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-09-21 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shivani Bhardwaj; +Cc: Alison Schofield, gnudevliz, outreachy-kernel

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Shivani Bhardwaj wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Liz,
> > Similar to Namrata, I don't know answer to specific question, but
> > I can share my .muttrc and .esmtprc that got it working for me.
> >
> > And then there were some things I did over in my gmail account settings
> > probably related to selecting IMAP.
> >
> > amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .muttrc
> > set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
> > set envelope_from=yes
> > set from="Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com>"
> > set use_from=yes
> > set edit_headers=yes
> > set spoolfile="imaps://amsfield22:mypasswd@imap.gmail.com/"
> > set folder="imaps://imap.gmail.com/"
> > set record="=Sent"
> > set postponed="=Drafts"
> >
> > amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .esmtprc
> > identity "amsfield22@gmail.com"
> > hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
> > username "amsfield22@gmail.com"
> > password "mypasswd"
> > starttls required
> >

> Hello,
>
> Just in case you don't know the exact settings to be done in your
> gmail, you can check my blog post here:
> https://unixia.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/setting-up-mutt/

Thanks Shivani.

Could I put a link to this in the kernel tutorial?

julia

@ 2016-09-21 16:53       ` Shivani Bhardwaj
From: Shivani Bhardwaj @ 2016-09-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Alison Schofield, gnudevliz, outreachy-kernel

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Shivani Bhardwaj wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Liz,
>> > Similar to Namrata, I don't know answer to specific question, but
>> > I can share my .muttrc and .esmtprc that got it working for me.
>> >
>> > And then there were some things I did over in my gmail account settings
>> > probably related to selecting IMAP.
>> >
>> > amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .muttrc
>> > set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
>> > set envelope_from=yes
>> > set from="Alison Schofield <amsfield22@gmail.com>"
>> > set use_from=yes
>> > set edit_headers=yes
>> > set spoolfile="imaps://amsfield22:mypasswd@imap.gmail.com/"
>> > set folder="imaps://imap.gmail.com/"
>> > set record="=Sent"
>> > set postponed="=Drafts"
>> >
>> > amsfield22@d830:~$ cat .esmtprc
>> > identity "amsfield22@gmail.com"
>> > hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
>> > username "amsfield22@gmail.com"
>> > password "mypasswd"
>> > starttls required
>> >

>> Hello,
>>
>> Just in case you don't know the exact settings to be done in your
>> gmail, you can check my blog post here:
>> https://unixia.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/setting-up-mutt/
>
> Thanks Shivani.
>
> Could I put a link to this in the kernel tutorial?

Yes, please. It would be great!

@ 2016-09-21 17:01         ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-09-21 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shivani Bhardwaj; +Cc: Alison Schofield, gnudevliz, outreachy-kernel

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Shivani Bhardwaj wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Just in case you don't know the exact settings to be done in your
> >> gmail, you can check my blog post here:
> >> https://unixia.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/setting-up-mutt/
> >
> > Thanks Shivani.
> >
> > Could I put a link to this in the kernel tutorial?
> >
> Yes, please. It would be great!

Done, thanks!

julia

> > julia
> >

> >> Shivani

* Re: Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-21 19:48 ` gnudevliz
From: gnudevliz @ 2016-09-21 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I've tried many .muttrc config changes and Gmail
setup but I keep getting the same error.
I think I'm supposed to set up a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). Mutt
keeps telling me there is no HELO/ELHO argument

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 11:01:18 PM UTC-7, gnud...@gmail.com
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm on Debian Jessie and I cannot get mutt to send email. I can receive
> emails and view my inbox in Mutt but I can't send messages. I can send them
> to myself though. I can't send them to another email address.
>
> When I use mutt to send an email I keep getting this HELO/ELHO error:
>
> SMTP session failed: 501 5.5.4  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=helo
> yg10sm21072351pab.8 - gsmtp
>
> That brings me to this page:
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6386757?visit_id=1-636100243312716080-1894628512&p=helo&rd=1
>
> I can't figure out how to resolve this issue. My 2 factor is off and I'm
> allowing login from unsecure apps. I'm also trying to use ssmtp instead of
> esmtp but the same thing happens in mutt.
>
> When i do
> $ sudo ssmtp someemail@gmail.com
>
> the email does actually go through though, but it says from root.
>
> If anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate it!
> Thanks,
> Liz

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Re: Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-22  4:47   ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2016-09-22  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnudevliz; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:18 AM,  <gnudevliz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I've tried many .muttrc config changes and Gmail
> setup but I keep getting the same error.
> I think I'm supposed to set up a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). Mutt
> keeps telling me there is no HELO/ELHO argument

I am not sure about this error but usually Mutt fails for me if I use
it under firewall,
proxy settings or vpn. So, I don't use it anymore. Git send-email
works good for me.
If you can't figure out the solution of this error and want to go for
the git send-email
then you can check this blog:

https://burzalodowa.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/how-to-send-patches-with-git-send-email/

It just requires to set up .gitconfig. I can share my settings but I
think that blog explains
almost everything in detail.

> On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 11:01:18 PM UTC-7, gnud...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm on Debian Jessie and I cannot get mutt to send email. I can receive
>> emails and view my inbox in Mutt but I can't send messages. I can send them
>> to myself though. I can't send them to another email address.
>>
>> When I use mutt to send an email I keep getting this HELO/ELHO error:
>>
>> SMTP session failed: 501 5.5.4  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=helo
>> yg10sm21072351pab.8 - gsmtp
>>
>> That brings me to this page:
>>
>> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6386757?visit_id=1-636100243312716080-1894628512&p=helo&rd=1
>>
>> I can't figure out how to resolve this issue. My 2 factor is off and I'm
>> allowing login from unsecure apps. I'm also trying to use ssmtp instead of
>> esmtp but the same thing happens in mutt.
>>
>> When i do
>> $ sudo ssmtp someemail@gmail.com
>>
>> the email does actually go through though, but it says from root.
>>
>> If anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate it!
>> Thanks,
>> Liz

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/outreachy-kernel/649173d5-38d8-43e3-af3b-a81aab81311d%40googlegroups.com.

Vaishali
http://vaishalithakkar.in/

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Re: Mutt/Gmail Issue
@ 2016-09-22 19:45     ` gnudevliz
From: gnudevliz @ 2016-09-22 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: gnudevliz

Hey Vaishali,

Thanks for your reply. I *finally* figured it out. Hallelujah.
The Debian installation manual specifically says to use exim4 in order to
set up debian to use e-mail:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch08s05.html.en

I had to closely follow this tutorial in order to finally get it to work:
https://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

I also had to fix my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname file.

I thought I'd post these in case you're using Debian.

@ 2016-09-22 20:33       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-09-22 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnudevliz; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016, gnudevliz@gmail.com wrote:

> Hey Vaishali,
> Thanks for your reply. I finally figured it out. Hallelujah.
> The Debian installation manual specifically says to use exim4 in order to
> set up debian to use e-mail:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch08s05.html.en
>
> I had to closely follow this tutorial in order to finally get it to work:
> https://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4
>
> I also had to fix my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname file.
>
> I thought I'd post these in case you're using Debian.

Do you want me to add anything to the tutorial?

julia

@ 2016-09-22 21:32         ` gnudevliz
From: gnudevliz @ 2016-09-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: gnudevliz

Hey Julia,

I ended up doing a lot of things in order for it to work and I don't know
which ones are totally necessary. My issue is specific to Debian/Gmail/Mutt
so this won't apply to everyone. But I have a feeling that the HELO/ELHO
error occurred because I did not have a domain configured. I had:

$ hostname
localhost
$ domainname
(none)

so I ended up changing my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname file.

My /etc/hostname just says hostname1

My /etc/hosts has 2 lines that say:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 hostname1.localdomain hostname1

Then run

$ sudo /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start
$ sudo reboot

verify changes with
$ hostname
hostname1
$ hostname -d
localdomain

I think that suffices for a "FQDN" Fully Qualified Domain Name.

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install exim4

After that I followed this tutorial
exactly: https://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

It explains exactly what to put for each menu entry when you run
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

After that, mutt will send emails!

Since this is such a specific case, maybe it can go on some FAQ or
Troubleshooting page??

Sincerely,
Liz

@ 2016-09-23  5:59       ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2016-09-23  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnudevliz; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 1:15 AM,  <gnudevliz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Vaishali,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I finally figured it out. Hallelujah.
> The Debian installation manual specifically says to use exim4 in order to
> set up debian to use e-mail:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch08s05.html.en
>
> I had to closely follow this tutorial in order to finally get it to work:
> https://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4
>
> I also had to fix my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname file.
>
> I thought I'd post these in case you're using Debian.

Glad that you figured it out. Mutt was working good for me for the gmail.
But I don't use it anymore for sending kernel patches. :)

I think just adding a section in the tutorial with the errors and link to this
Debian specific document might be useful.