* Files in include/trace/events
@ 2022-11-12 12:27 Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-11-12 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Lever, Trond Myklebust; +Cc: LKML, linux-nfs

Hi Chuck,

I was just looking over some files in include/trace/events/ and noticed
that there's sunrpc_base.h, fs.h and nfs.h that are not event files.

The include/trace/events/ directory should only hold files that are to
create events, not headers that hold helper functions.

Can you please move them out of include/trace/events/ as that directory
is "special" in the creation of events.

Perhaps we could create a new directory include/linux/trace/ or
include/trace/linux/ specific for these types of files?

Thanks!

-- Steve

* Re: Files in include/trace/events
@ 2022-11-12 12:33 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-11-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vlastimil Babka
  Cc: Chuck Lever, Trond Myklebust, LKML, linux-nfs, Andrew Morton,
	Masami Hiramatsu

On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 07:27:42 -0500
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> I was just looking over some files in include/trace/events/ and noticed
> that there's sunrpc_base.h, fs.h and nfs.h that are not event files.
>
> The include/trace/events/ directory should only hold files that are to
> create events, not headers that hold helper functions.
>
> Can you please move them out of include/trace/events/ as that directory
> is "special" in the creation of events.
>
> Perhaps we could create a new directory include/linux/trace/ or
> include/trace/linux/ specific for these types of files?

Hi Vlastimil,

I also noticed that mmflags.h is in that directory too.

I'd like to keep only headers defining TRACE_EVENT() in that directory,
as files there have special meaning.

@ 2022-11-12 15:57 ` Chuck Lever III
From: Chuck Lever III @ 2022-11-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Nov 12, 2022, at 7:27 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
> I was just looking over some files in include/trace/events/ and noticed
> that there's sunrpc_base.h, fs.h and nfs.h that are not event files.
>
> The include/trace/events/ directory should only hold files that are to
> create events, not headers that hold helper functions.
>
> Can you please move them out of include/trace/events/ as that directory
> is "special" in the creation of events.
>
> Perhaps we could create a new directory include/linux/trace/ or
> include/trace/linux/ specific for these types of files?

I can take responsibility for moving the helper files I created.
IIRC there are a few from the RDMA core subsystem as well.

But let's first decide on a proper destination for such files.
A sister directory to include/trace/events, like

  include/trace/ < something >

makes sense to me.

--
Chuck Lever

* Re: Files in include/trace/events
@ 2022-11-22 10:23   ` Vlastimil Babka
From: Vlastimil Babka @ 2022-11-22 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt
  Cc: Chuck Lever, Trond Myklebust, LKML, linux-nfs, Andrew Morton,
	Masami Hiramatsu, linux-mm, Hyeonggon Yoo, Matthew Wilcox,
	Michal Hocko

On 11/12/22 13:33, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 07:27:42 -0500
> Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>> I was just looking over some files in include/trace/events/ and noticed
>> that there's sunrpc_base.h, fs.h and nfs.h that are not event files.
>>
>> The include/trace/events/ directory should only hold files that are to
>> create events, not headers that hold helper functions.
>>
>> Can you please move them out of include/trace/events/ as that directory
>> is "special" in the creation of events.
>>
>> Perhaps we could create a new directory include/linux/trace/ or
>> include/trace/linux/ specific for these types of files?
>>

> Hi Vlastimil,
>
> I also noticed that mmflags.h is in that directory too.
>
> I'd like to keep only headers defining TRACE_EVENT() in that directory,
> as files there have special meaning.

I guess we could move that one to e.g. mm/mmflags.h as it's used also
outside of trace events anyway (mm/debug.c), but it's not something to
expose to general use in include/ But most includes are from proper
include/trace/events/*.h headers so dunno, maybe
include/trace/<something>/mmflags.h would be more appropriate.