* DRM and pci_driver conversion
@ 2003-10-21  2:31 Eric Anholt
From: Eric Anholt @ 2003-10-21  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-fbdev-devel

I recently committed a change to the DRM for Linux in DRI CVS that
converted it to use pci_driver and that probe system.  Unfortunately,
we've found that there is a conflict between the DRM now and at least
the radeon framebuffer.  Both want to attach to the same device, and
with pci_driver, the second one to come along doesn't get probe called
for that device.  Is there any way to mark things shared, or in some
other way get the DRM to attach to a device that's already attached to,
in the new model?

Please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed to these lists.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org

Here's your chance to show off your extensive product knowledge
We want to know what you know. Tell us and you have a chance to win $100
http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?HRPT1X3RYQNC5V4MLNSV3E54

* Re: DRM and pci_driver conversion
@ 2003-10-23 19:04 ` Kronos
From: Kronos @ 2003-10-23 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Anholt; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fbdev-devel, Jon Smirl

Il Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:31:56PM -0700, Eric Anholt ha scritto:
> I recently committed a change to the DRM for Linux in DRI CVS that
> converted it to use pci_driver and that probe system.  Unfortunately,
> we've found that there is a conflict between the DRM now and at least
> the radeon framebuffer.  Both want to attach to the same device, and
> with pci_driver, the second one to come along doesn't get probe called
> for that device.  Is there any way to mark things shared, or in some
> other way get the DRM to attach to a device that's already attached to,
> in the new model?

AFAIK no,  pci_dev only  stores one pointer  to the  driver. Two drivers
fiddling with the same hw can be dangerous. What will happen if radeonfb
starts using hw  accel, touching registers without  DRM knowing it? What
is (IMHO) needed is a common  layer that works with hardware and exposes
an interface to both radeonfb and DRM. I think that Jon Smirl is working
on something like this.

Luca
--
Home: http://kronoz.cjb.net
"Sei l'unica donna della mia vita".

Do you like what SourceForge.net is doing for the Open
Source Community?  Make a contribution, and help us add new
features and functionality. Click here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/