* [parisc-linux] Re: Another problem with making things static
       [not found] <1171121364.3373.19.camel@mulgrave.il.steeleye.com>
@ 2007-02-10 21:01 ` Andrew Morton
       [not found] ` <20070210130130.2584e4d8.akpm@linux-foundation.org>
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-02-10 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Parisc List

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:29:24 -0600 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:

> For any person who wants to make a static symbol exported, we force an
> explanation out of them about what they're trying to do and why.  Might
> I suggest we apply the same standard to anyone trying to make something
> static?  i.e. they need to explain clearly why the symbol shouldn't be
> part of any rational API.

The majority of these things are simply oversights: people forgot to
type `static'.

C got the defualt wrong..

@ 2007-02-11  1:33   ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2007-02-11  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Parisc List

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 13:01 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:29:24 -0600 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:
>
> > For any person who wants to make a static symbol exported, we force an
> > explanation out of them about what they're trying to do and why.  Might
> > I suggest we apply the same standard to anyone trying to make something
> > static?  i.e. they need to explain clearly why the symbol shouldn't be
> > part of any rational API.
> >

> The majority of these things are simply oversights: people forgot to
> type `static'.
>
> C got the defualt wrong..

I agree ... lots of symbols in drivers or filesystems are obviously not
part of APIs ... however, that's not necessarily true of the kernel
proper.  I think forcing someone to think about what they're doing and
justify going from non static to static or vice versa is a good idea in
those cases.

James