* kernel porting query
@ 2007-02-16  2:16 ` Rick Brown
From: Rick Brown @ 2007-02-16  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies, linux-newbie

Hi,

I have a very basic query regarding kernel porting on different
boards. I understand that even if two boards have the very same
processor core (say MIPS 4KE), we need to port linux for them
seperately. I have heard things like it is because of certain "board
level differences", I need to provide some "board specific hooks"
because the boards may contain "different devices" and so on ....

1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what
are differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?

2) Also, I would appreciate if you could point out code portions /
source files that need to be changed in the process of porting Linux?

TIA,

Rick

* kernel porting query
@ 2007-02-16  2:16 ` Rick Brown
From: Rick Brown @ 2007-02-16  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies, linux-newbie

Hi,

I have a very basic query regarding kernel porting on different
boards. I understand that even if two boards have the very same
processor core (say MIPS 4KE), we need to port linux for them
seperately. I have heard things like it is because of certain "board
level differences", I need to provide some "board specific hooks"
because the boards may contain "different devices" and so on ....

1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what
are differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?

2) Also, I would appreciate if you could point out code portions /
source files that need to be changed in the process of porting Linux?

TIA,

Rick
-

* RE: kernel porting query
@ 2007-02-16  4:18   ` Ajay Singh (ajaysi)
From: Ajay Singh (ajaysi) @ 2007-02-16  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Brown, Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies, linux-newbie

<snip>
1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what are
differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?

The differences depends on the boards ... Mostly if they belong to the
same family the differences could be mainly in the peripherials ...
Interrupt mappings... Serial interface ... Memory sizes (if differnet
boards have different memory sizes) ... Sometimes some devices may be
moved to some other locations in the memory map (Look at memory map of
your SoC on your board).

2) Also, I would appreciate if you could point out code portions /
source files that need to be changed in the process of porting Linux?

Look in linux-2.6.20\arch\mips\mips-boards for help on porting to your
board. You can add directory specific to your board here.
I think you can start from xxx_setup.c file in the above directory.

Good luck.
Ajay.

From: Ajay Singh (ajaysi) @ 2007-02-16  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Brown, Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies, linux-newbie

<snip>

       [not found]   ` <db702f320702152042n4a8a1ac8md7f73458fdac57f5@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-02-16  7:59     ` Ajay Singh (ajaysi)
From: Ajay Singh (ajaysi) @ 2007-02-16  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-newbie, Rizvan

> 1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what
> are differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?
>
> The differences depends on the boards ... Mostly if they belong to the

> same family the differences could be mainly in the peripherials ...
> Interrupt mappings... Serial interface ... Memory sizes (if differnet
> boards have different memory sizes) ... Sometimes some devices may be
> moved to some other locations in the memory map (Look at memory map of

> your SoC on your board).
>
> 2) Also, I would appreciate if you could point out code portions /
> source files that need to be changed in the process of porting Linux?
>
> Look in linux-2.6.20\arch\mips\mips-boards for help on porting to your

> board. You can add directory specific to your board here.
> I think you can start from xxx_setup.c file in the above directory.

Hi Ajay,

This is very good information, I have some issue with my board during
porting.
All things are same bet old and new board except clock frequency, still
my reboot (warm reset) is not working ? ANy idea ?

Ajay> Are you calling mips_reboot_setup() in your plat_mem_setup()? You
may have to modify/add code to mips_reboot_setup() specific to your
board.

Is this due to boot stramp or NAND Flash mapped to other address ?

Ajay> I don't think that can be the issue.

Ajay> Also please mail to the list so that others can also see your
queries and suggest better answers.

Ajay.

Thanks
Rizvan

> Good luck.
> Ajay.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rick

-

* RE: kernel porting query
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2007-02-16  9:32   ` Bernd Petrovitsch
From: Bernd Petrovitsch @ 2007-02-16  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajay Singh (ajaysi); +Cc: Rick Brown, Linux Kernel, kernelnewbies, linux-newbie

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 07:46 +0530, Rick Brown wrote:

Your quoting style sucks. I fixed it by hand.

[...]
> > 1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what are
> > differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?

> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 09:48 +0530, Ajay Singh (ajaysi) wrote:
> The differences depends on the boards ... Mostly if they belong to the
> same family the differences could be mainly in the peripherials ...
> Interrupt mappings... Serial interface ... Memory sizes (if differnet
> boards have different memory sizes) ... Sometimes some devices may be
> moved to some other locations in the memory map (Look at memory map of
> your SoC on your board).

You may have different boot loaders (or none at all).
You also may have different storage media like FlashRAM, IDE,
network, .... for boot loader/kernel/root filesystem. They may have
different sizes and it makes a "little" difference for your requirements
in the toolchain if you have 4MB or 1GB to boot your system from.

All that kind of information can be found in a BSP (board support
package).

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services