* Re: [LTP] [Ltp-results] Got warning message on ltp-full-20091031 while running ./configure
       [not found] ` <1257221513.11048.1.camel@munipradeep-laptop>
@ 2009-11-03  8:46   ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-11-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Munipradeep Beerakam, Garrett Cooper; +Cc: ltp-list

Muni,

This should be reported to LTP Mailing list. Garret, can you just look
into this ?

Regards--
Subrata

@ 2009-11-03 13:01     ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2009-11-03 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Subrata Modak
<subrata@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Muni,
>
> This should be reported to LTP Mailing list. Garret, can you just look
> into this ?
>
> Regards--
> Subrata
>
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 09:41 +0530, Munipradeep Beerakam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In addition to that I also got the below warning as well. Forgot to add
>> it before.
>>
>> configure: WARNING: linux/netlink.h: present but cannot be compiled
>> configure: WARNING: linux/netlink.h:     check for missing prerequisite
>> headers?
>> configure: WARNING: linux/netlink.h: see the Autoconf documentation
>> configure: WARNING: linux/netlink.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
>> Compiled"
>> configure: WARNING: linux/netlink.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
>> result
>> configure: WARNING: linux/netlink.h: in the future, the compiler will
>> take precedence
>> configure: WARNING:     ##
>> ------------------------------------------------ ##
>> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to
>> ltp-results@lists.sourceforge.net ##
>> configure: WARNING:     ##
>> ------------------------------------------------ ##
>>
>> Thanks
>> Muni
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 09:26 +0530, Munipradeep Beerakam wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I got the following warning messages while running "./configure" on the
>> > ltp-full-20091031. However, make and make install worked fine.
>> >
>> > configure: WARNING: linux/genetlink.h: present but cannot be compiled
>> > configure: WARNING: linux/genetlink.h:     check for missing
>> > prerequisite headers?
>> > configure: WARNING: linux/genetlink.h: see the Autoconf documentation
>> > configure: WARNING: linux/genetlink.h:     section "Present But Cannot
>> > Be Compiled"
>> > configure: WARNING: linux/genetlink.h: proceeding with the
>> > preprocessor's result
>> > configure: WARNING: linux/genetlink.h: in the future, the compiler will
>> > take precedence
>> > configure: WARNING:     ##
>> > ------------------------------------------------ ##
>> > configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to
>> > ltp-results@lists.sourceforge.net ##
>> > configure: WARNING:     ##
>> > ------------------------------------------------ ##

    Yeah -- I need to find the header that defines u32 (instead of
uint32 or uint32_t). Does anyone know which one was that again? I
thought it was a kernel specific datatype (and in that event it
shouldn't be exported).
Thanks,
-Garrett

* Re: [LTP] [Ltp-results] Got warning message on ltp-full-20091031 while running ./configure
@ 2009-11-03 15:50       ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-11-03 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp-list; +Cc: ltp-list

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1524 bytes --]

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 08:01:08 Garrett Cooper wrote:

>     Yeah -- I need to find the header that defines u32 (instead of
> uint32 or uint32_t). Does anyone know which one was that again? I
> thought it was a kernel specific datatype (and in that event it
> shouldn't be exported).

correct -- nothing in userspace should be using u32.  if the kernel headers
are, they're broken and need fixing, so complain to lkml/your distro.
-mike

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

* Re: [LTP] [Ltp-results] Got warning message on ltp-full-20091031 while running ./configure
@ 2009-11-03 16:05         ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2009-11-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: ltp-list, ltp-list

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>     Yeah -- I need to find the header that defines u32 (instead of
>> uint32 or uint32_t). Does anyone know which one was that again? I
>> thought it was a kernel specific datatype (and in that event it
>> shouldn't be exported).
>
> correct -- nothing in userspace should be using u32.  if the kernel headers
> are, they're broken and need fixing, so complain to lkml/your distro.

    That's what I figured -- ok. The test and the app should also be
converted to straight linux/genetlink.h, because linux/genetlink.h is
a superset of linux/netlink.h.
Thanks,
-Garrett

* Re: [LTP] [Ltp-results] Got warning message on ltp-full-20091031 while running ./configure
@ 2009-11-03 16:30           ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-11-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garrett Cooper; +Cc: ltp-list, ltp-list

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 2191 bytes --]

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 11:05:10 Garrett Cooper wrote:

> >>     Yeah -- I need to find the header that defines u32 (instead of
> >> uint32 or uint32_t). Does anyone know which one was that again? I
> >> thought it was a kernel specific datatype (and in that event it
> >> shouldn't be exported).
> >
> > correct -- nothing in userspace should be using u32.  if the kernel
> > headers are, they're broken and need fixing, so complain to lkml/your
> > distro.
>
>     That's what I figured -- ok. The test and the app should also be
> converted to straight linux/genetlink.h, because linux/genetlink.h is
> a superset of linux/netlink.h.

we should get Subrata to generate the release with newer versions of autotools
(like autoconf-2.64) so that these warnings dont show up.  if the header cant
be compiled, then we want it marked as not usable and so the related tests get
skipped.
-mike

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

* Re: [LTP] Got warning message on ltp-full-20091031 while running ./configure
@ 2009-11-09 17:39             ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-11-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: ltp-list

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 12:30 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 November 2009 11:05:10 Garrett Cooper wrote:

> > > correct -- nothing in userspace should be using u32.  if the kernel
> > > headers are, they're broken and need fixing, so complain to lkml/your
> > > distro.
> >
> >     That's what I figured -- ok. The test and the app should also be
> > converted to straight linux/genetlink.h, because linux/genetlink.h is
> > a superset of linux/netlink.h.
>
> we should get Subrata to generate the release with newer versions of autotools
> (like autoconf-2.64) so that these warnings dont show up.  if the header cant

I upgraded my system to 2.64 just now.

$ /usr/bin/autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64
<http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Hope this would solve all such problems.

Regards--
Subrata

@ 2009-11-09 19:22               ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-11-09 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 3032 bytes --]

On Monday 09 November 2009 12:39:21 Subrata Modak wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 12:30 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > >     That's what I figured -- ok. The test and the app should also be
> > > converted to straight linux/genetlink.h, because linux/genetlink.h is
> > > a superset of linux/netlink.h.
> >
> > we should get Subrata to generate the release with newer versions of
> > autotools (like autoconf-2.64) so that these warnings dont show up.  if
> > the header cant
>
> I upgraded my system to 2.64 just now.
>
> $ /usr/bin/autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64
> License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
>
> Hope this would solve all such problems.

well, the configure script wasnt really broken before.  people just cant
handle any sort of warning message and reading the related log files can be
too much.

@ 2009-11-09 19:55                 ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2009-11-09 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: ltp-list

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Monday 09 November 2009 12:39:21 Subrata Modak wrote:

>> > we should get Subrata to generate the release with newer versions of
>> > autotools (like autoconf-2.64) so that these warnings dont show up.  if
>> > the header cant
>>
>> I upgraded my system to 2.64 just now.
>>
>> $ /usr/bin/autoconf --version
>> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64
>> Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later
>> <http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
>> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>> Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
>>
>> Hope this would solve all such problems.
>
> well, the configure script wasnt really broken before.  people just cant
> handle any sort of warning message and reading the related log files can be
> too much.

    I think we're kind of at fault for not having AC_MSG_INFO instead
of AC_MSG_WARN, but oh well... AC_MSG_WARN is designed to be terse :].
-Garrett

* Re: [LTP] Got warning message on ltp-full-20091031 while running ./configure
@ 2009-11-09 20:19                   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-11-09 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garrett Cooper; +Cc: ltp-list

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 641 bytes --]

On Monday 09 November 2009 14:55:54 Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > well, the configure script wasnt really broken before.  people just cant
> > handle any sort of warning message and reading the related log files can
> > be too much.
>
>     I think we're kind of at fault for not having AC_MSG_INFO instead
> of AC_MSG_WARN, but oh well... AC_MSG_WARN is designed to be terse :].

not sure what you mean.  the warning pointed out originally did not come
directly from us, nor do/did we have any way of controlling it other than
using a newer version of autoconf ...

@ 2009-11-10  7:18                     ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2009-11-10  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: ltp-list

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Monday 09 November 2009 14:55:54 Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> > well, the configure script wasnt really broken before.  people just cant
>> > handle any sort of warning message and reading the related log files can
>> > be too much.
>>
>>     I think we're kind of at fault for not having AC_MSG_INFO instead
>> of AC_MSG_WARN, but oh well... AC_MSG_WARN is designed to be terse :].
>
> not sure what you mean.  the warning pointed out originally did not come
> directly from us, nor do/did we have any way of controlling it other than
> using a newer version of autoconf ...

Oooooh... ok, Now it all makes sense.
-Garrett