* Multiple projects with Gitweb
@ 2011-07-13 13:10 Mathieu.Pogeant
From: Mathieu.Pogeant @ 2011-07-13 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

I'm trying to have this with GitWeb.
I have a repo under /project1 and a repo under /project2 on my Git server.
I would like to access these 2 repo via Gitweb like that: http://mygitserver/project1 and http://mygitserver/project2.
The problem is that gitweb.conf permit to use just one repo with directive $projectroot.

Did someone face the same problem?
If needed, I can share configuration file.
Best regards,
--
Mathieu POGEANT

* Re: Multiple projects with Gitweb
@ 2011-07-13 14:12 ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2011-07-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu.Pogeant; +Cc: git

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 13:10 +0000, Mathieu.Pogeant@renesasmobile.com
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to have this with GitWeb.
> I have a repo under /project1 and a repo under /project2 on my Git server.
> I would like to access these 2 repo via Gitweb like that: http://mygitserver/project1 and http://mygitserver/project2.
> The problem is that gitweb.conf permit to use just one repo with directive $projectroot.
>
> Did someone face the same problem?
> If needed, I can share configuration file.

Mathieu,
There is no requirement that gitweb only be provided by the HTTPd server
once per machine or virtual host. It is entirely reasonable to set up
two subdirectories (project1 and project2) in your virtual host's home
and serve gitweb from each of those separately using an instance-local
configuration file. That way each instance can be customized.

The /etc/gitweb.conf file is not meant to provide for that
customization. The way that gitweb is currently constructed, if you use
a local configuration file for an instance it will completely ignore the
system-wide configuration file (I didn't make that decision, as it
doesn't make much sense to me either), so you will have to make sure
that ALL settings required are set in each instance-local configuration.

I plan on re-submitting my touch-ups to that documentation now that a
have a minor window of sanity here at work (not that I expect that to
last).

--
-Drew Northup
"As opposed to vegetable or mineral error?"

* Re: Multiple projects with gitweb
@ 2011-07-13 16:17 ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2011-07-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu.Pogeant; +Cc: git, Jakub Narebski

<Mathieu.Pogeant@renesasmobile.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to have this with GitWeb.
> I have a repo under /project1 and a repo under /project2 on my Git server.
> I would like to access these 2 repo via Gitweb like that:
> http://mygitserver/project1 and http://mygitserver/project2.
>
> The problem is that gitweb.conf permit to use just one repo
> with directive $projectroot.

Actually it is not true.  The full path to repository is

  "$projectroot/$project"

so if you really have both repositories in top directory, try using

  our $projectroot = "/";

Of course to have "http://mygitserver/project1" as URL you have to do
some URL rewriting; I think there is example either in gitweb/README
or in gitweb/INSTALL.

HTH
--
Jakub Narębski

* Re: Multiple projects with gitweb
@ 2011-07-13 16:20   ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2011-07-13 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Northup; +Cc: Mathieu.Pogeant, git, Jakub Narebski

Drew Northup <drew.northup@maine.edu> writes:

[...]
> The /etc/gitweb.conf file is not meant to provide for that
> customization. The way that gitweb is currently constructed, if you use
> a local configuration file for an instance it will completely ignore the
> system-wide configuration file (I didn't make that decision, as it
> doesn't make much sense to me either), so you will have to make sure
> that ALL settings required are set in each instance-local configuration.

There were some patches sent to alleviate it (with read_config_file
that one can use in per-instance config file) and fix it (with
introduction of common configuration file /etc/gitweb-common.conf),
but I don't know what happened to it.

> I plan on re-submitting my touch-ups to that documentation now that a
> have a minor window of sanity here at work (not that I expect that to
> last).

That would be very nice.

--
Jakub Narębski